RFLink USB problem with Mega board

About receivers, transmitters, transceivers, connections, antennas etc.

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

gonzzo
New user

RFLink USB problem with Mega board

#1 Post by gonzzo » 21 May 2017, 11:26

Hi,

I bought my RFLink several weeks ago and I was able to put together all the elements and make it work. Connecting the board to the PC and wiht a serial monitor I was ablle to see the data provided by several Oregon modules.

I updated to the new firmware and left it in a drawer and after some time I wanted to start using properly.

I've connected back to the PC and there is no way to get any response from the USB port of the Arduino Mega 2560 R3. I know there is no issue with the USB cable as I've tried several cables and if I use an Arduino One board, I don't have any issue with the sames cables to detect the board.

I'm using Windows 10 and when I connect the cable, the PC does not detect anything (as with the other Arduino boards).

When powering the Aorduino Mega board with the USB cable the ON led lits and the L led flashestwice and then goes off. (Tx & RX ledds don't lit at all).

If I try to reupload the firmware, I can't beacuse the PC does not detect the board so I cannot select any COM port in the RFLinkLoader.

I'm wondering if after the last update, the Mega board is now in a weird state. Is there any way to reset the board completely or check if the problem is with the USB port?

Thanks for your help.
Javier

gonzzo
New user

Re: RFLink USB problem with Mega board

#2 Post by gonzzo » 24 May 2017, 07:12

I've be doing some tests but it seems that the atmega16u2 is dead.

I share what I did just in case someone is on the same situation and to save some searching time:

I first tried to perform a loop back test
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0

No response from the PC. It didn't recogniz the USB connection.

Then, I tried to bring the USB chipset to DFU mode so I could reprogram it with the flip software:
http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx

The process is simple on the Arduino R3. Connect the board through the USB port to th PC and briefly connect the 2 leftmost ICSP headers next to the USB port. The ICSP header is the one with 6 pins close to the USB port.

At that moment the PC should have detected the chipset and install the drivers (if connected to Internet) but in my case nothing happened.

Finally, I've been in contact with NODO-Shop support and they have confirmed me that it looks like the board is fauilty and that will ship a new one. Five strars for NODO-Shop!