Poor 433 MHz range (Aurel RTX MID 5v) - What is your range?

About receivers, transmitters, transceivers, connections, antennas etc.

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

bluejedi
Normal user

Poor 433 MHz range (Aurel RTX MID 5v) - What is your range?

#1 Post by bluejedi » 10 Jun 2017, 12:54

I have a rather poor 433 MHz range with RFLink gateway with the Aurel RTX MID 5v 433 MHz tranceiver.

I have the RFLink gateway in the utility closet on the basement floor in the center of the house (with concrete floors) and
use it in combination with several 'Pro-max' switch sets using 'FA500' protocol (was sold in Dutch 'Action' shops last year).

On the basement floor everything works as expected. On the first floor however the Pro-Max switches have very poor reception.
I am unable to control any of the switches from the RFLink gateway, unless switches are positioned in the middle of the first floor near the stairway.
The RFLink gateway does receive signals from the remote controls when used from the first floor, the gateway is unable to control the switches themselves however.

I have tried to position the gateway/antenna outside of the utility closet and use what appears to be a good 433 MHz antenna. While this lets me receive the signals from a wireless weather station from one of my neighbours, it does not help for my switches on the first floor. (Antenna with SMA connector, wired directly on the Aurel RTX MID 5v module so no PCB traces that could influence/disturb the signal path).
(I use this antenna: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/433-MHZ ... 40861.html)

I wonder if this is normal range / normal behaviour. In my opinion 433 MHz transmission should go better than 2.4 GHz Wifi but that is not how I experience it.

Possible causes:
  • Could there be something wrong with my Aurel RTX MID 5v module?
  • Are the receivers/antenna's in the Pro-max switches very weak?
  • Can 433 MHz not cope with a single concrete floor? I expect this to be less likely but is more a gut feeling than based on experience.
    (There is no floor heating in the floors and no aluminum foils in or on the floors. 15 year old house, not a 'concrete bunker'.)

What is your wireless range with RFLink and 433 MHz? (Are you using the suggested Aurel RTX MID 5v module?)
Any tips?

CherAlban
Normal user

Re: Poor 433 MHz range (Aurel RTX MID 5v) - What is your range?

#2 Post by CherAlban » 20 Jul 2017, 16:28

I tried quite a few of the commonly available 433Mhz antennas (short/long rubber stubs, mono-poles with-/without ground-plane,...). For my constellation, the simple dipole works best (e.g. from nodo-shop, also available form china)
https://www.nodo-shop.nl/en/antennes/10 ... tvoet.html

They come with relatively long cables, which I cut to the needed length to minimize cable attenuation.

You might also want play around with your antenna positioning, considering its "donut shaped" directivity.

CherAlban