+1
Regards
Shardan

papperone
Normal user

Re: ESP Easy development status

#142 Post by papperone » 05 Nov 2017, 15:01

TD-er wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 11:40
vader wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 11:02 I do not understand all that doing. Before fixing all the known issues, the devs start working on implementing new CPUs like ESP32 and whatever we normal user don't need (yet)! We want a firmware that works without all that bugs! That doing remembers me at Micro$oft, that makes all of us to beta testers with unfinished and crappy products. :evil: So keep the focus on a bug-free firmware first!!!
The development of ESP32 is being done on the "mega" branch. So it is for the new stuff after this release.
At this moment there is a 2.0 branch which contains all that is going to be in the new upcoming release.

My personal preference would be to develop the ESP32 support into a separate branch and then merge into mega, but that is just one of the many flavors in software development and branching strategies.

Typical development is one master branch (which is called 'mega' here at the moment) for which new features are developed.
The feature-freezes are then split into a separate branch which only have bugfixes.
The more I study ESP32 architecture the more I think that a simple "porting" won't be using full chip capabilites...
Specially now that Espressiff provided RTOS functionality with possibility to run code on both cores in parallel, but this will require major modification to ESPEasy I guess :(
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

LisaM
Normal user

#143 Post by LisaM » 06 Nov 2017, 00:27

papperone wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 15:01 The more I study ESP32 architecture the more I think that a simple "porting" won't be using full chip capabilites...
Specially now that Espressiff provided RTOS functionality with possibility to run code on both cores in parallel, but this will require major modification to ESPEasy I guess :(
Yep, the Espressiff ESP32 libs are completely different from the Espressiff ESP8266 libs. I looked at it and gave up the hope of ever uniting both ESP platforms. Even for micropython they are taking some time to develop micropython on a ESP32 with a complete team. They now have a multi threaded micropython and capable of using 4MB of psRAM (yes 4MB of free ram instead of 80KB...)

And even if you succeed, it's not async so not benefiting from the dual core. uPyEasy is async from the beginning, meaning the webserver can handle one request on one core and the other core can handle the IO. Arm soc's like the STM32 series are now also available in dual-core (cortex-r4). The $10 OrangePi is another competitor with loads of cores and IO available.

If i need this kind of power? For most apps not, but for some controls in my house (CO2, heating) it's even essential. I need a LOT more local node power to do AI, inter-node communication, wifi mesh networking, etc. None of that can be done with the current limited capabilities of ESPEasy.

For an ESP-01 all of this might not matter, but even the mighty ESP-01 doesn't live forever...

Martinus

#144 Post by Martinus » 06 Nov 2017, 20:16

vader wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 11:02 I do not understand all that doing. Before fixing all the known issues, the devs start working on implementing new CPUs like ESP32 and whatever we normal user don't need (yet)! We want a firmware that works without all that bugs! That doing remembers me at Micro$oft, that makes all of us to beta testers with unfinished and crappy products. :evil: So keep the focus on a bug-free firmware first!!!
Hardly any code development has been done, nor is it planned for ESPEasy on ESP32 (unless some developer volunteers?)
Current changes to the mega dev branch are limited to some precompiler directives to select the ESP32 specific libraries and function calls. Mainly because they were named ESP8266xxx and now ESP32xxx or ESPxxx....

All all the actual hard work on ESP32 Arduino core is done by other developers (me-no-dev as lead developer).
Their aim is to get typical Arduino sketches to run on ESP32.

And ESPEasy actually runs on ESP32 as we speak.

Because of me-no-dev and his team...

(to avoid possible confusion, me-no-dev and co-developers are not members of the ESP Easy team, so we can't influence their work. In case one doubts the usefulness of their work on ESP32, better ask them directly)