ESP Easy Mega

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

Forum rules
You have entered the experimental forum, beware!!!
manjh
Normal user

Re: ESP Easy Mega

#241 Post by manjh » 21 Aug 2017, 15:58

grovkillen wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 13:32
manjh wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 13:19
grovkillen wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 12:33

It is and Senseair is really impressed with the ESP Easy initiative. Thanks to the developers a "noob" can get a S8 sensor up and running (reporting to the rest of the world) in less than an hour!
I agree. Setting it up on a breadboard is really simple. I spent most of the time figuring out why it would not report into the Air Quality device in Domoticz, but that is hardly a SenseAir problem.
As for the "noob"? I don't qualify. I have worked for Big Blue for many years in several technical and managerial positions. That is probably why I have a nack of finding bugs.....

Speaking of one. I read in several places that the S8 has a power-sensitive limit of 5.2V, above which the unit (lamp?) will almost certainly die.
Do you know why the designers have not added a simple safety in there? I think a zener would do the job. On an industrial scale it cannot cost much more than a few cents, and compared to the total price of this sensor I would not hesitate. :)
I talked to the electro-engineers regarding the protection of the sensor. They responded that since this is an OEM product the protection should be on the overall system level, at least that was what the original idea was. New product will most likely end up with more end users (with the ever growing popularity of ESP Easy etc.) so we'll consider adding onboard protection.
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

ewaldharmsen
Normal user

#242 Post by ewaldharmsen » 08 Jan 2018, 18:14

I just installed esp easy mega latest version instead of 148.

Upgrading failed: after the upgrade the device was not connected to the wifi anymore, and not sending its own.
I reflashed it, than it worked.

1 question: is there anything changed in rules? I am curious wheter nested commands now work.

manjh
Normal user

#243 Post by manjh » 08 Jan 2018, 19:02

ewaldharmsen wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:14 I just installed esp easy mega latest version instead of 148.

Upgrading failed: after the upgrade the device was not connected to the wifi anymore, and not sending its own.
I reflashed it, than it worked.

1 question: is there anything changed in rules? I am curious wheter nested commands now work.
I think that when upgrading to this level, you should be prepared to re-install all settings. Anything that still works after the upgrade is lucky.
Also, I know that the backup/restore between the releases does not work.I ran into this problem and reported it as a bug: it turns out that the file format differs somehow, not sure if it will be fixed.
Bottom line: when upgrading, make sure you have all the info about devices and rules written down somewhere, or take screenshots. After the upgrade be prepared to enter manually...

manjh
Normal user

#244 Post by manjh » 08 Jan 2018, 19:03

ewaldharmsen wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:14 1 question: is there anything changed in rules? I am curious wheter nested commands now work.
Nested commands? please specify what you mean exactly.
I have been using rules that trigger other events in turn, so if that is what you mean: yes, it works.

ewaldharmsen
Normal user

#245 Post by ewaldharmsen » 09 Jan 2018, 16:53

manjh wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 19:03 I have been using rules that trigger other events in turn, so if that is what you mean: yes, it works
Yes I do that as well, I was hoping for an if else structure...

My point was that the upgrade fails so that I need physical acces to all devices

grovkillen
Core team member

#246 Post by grovkillen » 09 Jan 2018, 20:20

ewaldharmsen wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:53
manjh wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 19:03 I have been using rules that trigger other events in turn, so if that is what you mean: yes, it works

My point was that the upgrade fails so that I need physical acces to all devices
Yes the update between R1XX and 2.0.0 is big and the config file is none compatible (we're working on that though) so the update will make the unit wiped and cleaned from most settings. A possible workaround is to manually backup the settings with screenshots or scribble on a piece of paper. I use my "ESP Easy Webdumper" for that.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

psy0rz
Normal user

#247 Post by psy0rz » 10 Jan 2018, 15:15

Indeed the config is incompatible, but the device should fall back to AP mode, so you might not need physical access in that case?

Edwin
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

grovkillen
Core team member

#248 Post by grovkillen » 10 Jan 2018, 18:31

psy0rz wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 15:15

Indeed the config is incompatible, but the device should fall back to AP mode, so you might not need physical access in that case?

Edwin
Last week I updated all to dev13 and two units were R147. They booted into AP mode both of them and config was reset. You can use my webdumper app to get all the settings documented.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

The-Holgi
New user

#249 Post by The-Holgi » 03 Mar 2018, 11:52

Hello,
where is IDX/Aariable under ESP Easy is it in task devices.

zwehn
New user

#250 Post by zwehn » 03 Mar 2018, 12:27

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4945
hi I found a strange behavier with the generic pulse counter, seems that the time variable gets an overflow which corrupts the count value for the time always when the time value is flipping over to 0 again. i postet it in detail in the link above, maybe the wrong place...
regards Zwehn
mega-20180214 with generic pulse counter, fhem, arduino