Autonomous PID Heater controller

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

pic
New user

Autonomous PID Heater controller

#1 Post by pic » 15 Dec 2017, 11:34

Dear everybody,

This is my first post ;) (ESP Easy is very cool I use it everyday!)

I already use the level control function (DHT22 + Relay for Gaz boiler) with a simple web interface.
But I would like to play with PID control instead.

What is the easiest way to do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

toffel969
Normal user

Re: Autonomous PID Heater controller

#2 Post by toffel969 » 15 Dec 2017, 13:43

pic wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 11:34 Dear everybody,

This is my first post ;) (ESP Easy is very cool I use it everyday!)

I already use the level control function (DHT22 + Relay for Gaz boiler) with a simple web interface.
But I would like to play with PID control instead.

What is the easiest way to do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

That really depends on your gas boiler. With Vaillant for example, it is possible to modulate the water temperature ( immitating an external temp sensor using pwm).

If you want to continue using a relay (on/off), a possibility is to use defined intervals of lets say 10 minutes. You then average the temperature reading over 10 minutes and then calculate a "burner on" time. All of this will have to happen in rules/dummy devices.
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

pic
New user

#3 Post by pic » 10 Jan 2018, 09:49

HEllo, Thank you for your reply,

In my case it's not possible to modulate temperature there is only a dry contact input, your idea is interesting! I will try to implement it. I also have a lot of ideas but not sure how to implement, sorted by importance :

1 - I would like to schedule different temperature levels trough my little web page (html example attached) but I don't know how to link the selection field value to an ESPEasy variable. Can you please help me?

2 - Ability to detect when doors and windows are opened and keep heater off (how to detect fast changes in temperature?)

Regards
Attachments
aaaaaaaaaaCapture.PNG
aaaaaaaaaaCapture.PNG (15.49 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

toffel969
Normal user

#4 Post by toffel969 » 10 Jan 2018, 13:29

pic wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 09:49 HEllo, Thank you for your reply,

In my case it's not possible to modulate temperature there is only a dry contact input, your idea is interesting! I will try to implement it. I also have a lot of ideas but not sure how to implement, sorted by importance :

1 - I would like to schedule different temperature levels trough my little web page (html example attached) but I don't know how to link the selection field value to an ESPEasy variable. Can you please help me?

2 - Ability to detect when doors and windows are opened and keep heater off (how to detect fast changes in temperature?)

Regards
1. IMHO this task is a bit too much for the combination rules/dummy and would be better implemented in a controller (like Domoticz, FHEM, OpenHAB, you name it). I don't see a way to store the different times in a variable to access it with rules. The temperatures could be held in a dummy.

2. a) Hardware option, put a magnetic switch on doors and windows and include them in your rules (using multiple events to overcome the limitations concerning boolean nesting)
b) create a differential by means of a dummy with (in example task 7, with a double value, where Value 1 is the differential and Value 2 the last measured temp) -->

Code: Select all

On Temperature#DHT22 do 
Taskvalueset,7,1,[lastTemp#Dummy]-[Temperature#DHT22]
Taskvalueset,7,2,[Temperature#DHT22]
Endon

On difTemp#dummy >5 do 
window has been opened 
Endon 

Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8