Sending Email directly with Task

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

orbitcoms
Normal user

Sending Email directly with Task

#1 Post by orbitcoms » 30 Oct 2017, 05:50

Does the ESP Easy support a simple stand alone control function where I can set up a device with a simple Task that reads a temperature probe every couple of minutes and sends an email if above a certain value
and then sends another email when temp back in normal range.
I only need 1 node and not use a controller or need SIM cards etc, just an ESP with DS1820 Probe that sends notifications via the wifi router when temp high or normal.

If this is a common application, would you mind providing a link to a suitable tutorial or project example also?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

toffel969
Normal user

Re: Sending Email directly with Task

#2 Post by toffel969 » 30 Oct 2017, 08:50

Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

orbitcoms
Normal user

#3 Post by orbitcoms » 30 Oct 2017, 10:14

Huh, the time it took to create the little animation to show me how to search in Google may have been just as easily used to provide some information. It leaves me wondering why have forums at all when Google can be used as the master oracle. Reminds me of the old days cliche "read the manual".

Probably have same issue when I am looking for a plumber and prefer to find recommendations rather than scouring through the yellow pages trying to find a suitable solution and having to determine whether the results I receive are useful or not.

grovkillen
Core team member

#4 Post by grovkillen » 30 Oct 2017, 11:37

No need for arguing.

But have you tried the 2.0.0-dev version? It has built in notification for simple emails.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

orbitcoms
Normal user

#5 Post by orbitcoms » 30 Oct 2017, 20:40

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

It seems from the wiki that it should be fairly straight forward to use rules to check for temperature value and send notification if outside limits.

However, I cannot see from the documentation, or results from Google search, whether or how I can set variables to use as flags to prevent multiple notifications occurring.

For example: Once the temperature is over the limit, the notification will continue being sent because the condition is always true until temperature falls again.

I would like to be able to set a flag like : HighMessageSent = true
then in rule have logic like this...

on DS1820_Temp,Temperature >= 28 //Can this value "28" be replaced by parameter also , like %HighAlarm% ????
if not HighMessageSent
notify 1, Over Temperature
HighMessageSent = true
end on

onRules#Timer=1 do
if DS1820_Temp,Temperature < 28 HighMessageSent = false //clear flag if temperature returned to normal limits
timerSet 1, 10
end on

Also, can I use the parameter to place actual temp in message like this?
notify 1, Over Temperature %DS1820_Temp,Temperature% Degrees

grovkillen
Core team member

#6 Post by grovkillen » 30 Oct 2017, 21:31

You would use Dummy Devices for that (numerical instead of Boolean).

Start experimenting and we'll help you asking along the way.

And it's no problem to use variables in the messages sent.
Last edited by grovkillen on 30 Oct 2017, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

orbitcoms
Normal user

#7 Post by orbitcoms » 30 Oct 2017, 21:33

Thanks for the info, I'll look into dummy devices

toffel969
Normal user

#8 Post by toffel969 » 31 Oct 2017, 09:21

orbitcoms wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 10:14 Huh, the time it took to create the little animation to show me how to search in Google may have been just as easily used to provide some information. It leaves me wondering why have forums at all when Google can be used as the master oracle. Reminds me of the old days cliche "read the manual".

Probably have same issue when I am looking for a plumber and prefer to find recommendations rather than scouring through the yellow pages trying to find a suitable solution and having to determine whether the results I receive are useful or not.
As grovkillen says, no need for arguing. I try to help as many people as I can in the forum, but it becomes sometimes annoying to answer same questions over and over again.
To me, a forum is a place to discuss problems that are not covered by the wiki or have not been discussed in the past (so the info is already in the forum available by search.

If you have not done either, it feels like people are expecting that their homework gets done by others. Anyway....
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

Shardan
Normal user

#9 Post by Shardan » 31 Oct 2017, 09:34

+1
Regards
Shardan

kimot
Normal user

#10 Post by kimot » 02 Nov 2017, 13:04

@ toffel969

Very educative...
And by the way - try you find some ESPEasy related links on your google search example?
Lol, there is nothing about ESPEasy !

Maybe search engine is broken, like you wrote ...

toffel969
Normal user

#11 Post by toffel969 » 03 Nov 2017, 14:19

My bad, its just the first 13 links that contain info on email plugin for ESP easy Mega (2.0). But seriously, this is the end of this conversation, not productive.

I'm pretty sure most devs/expierienced users just ignore requests that can be answered by search function/reading the wiki. I shall do the same.