notifications and esp

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

davecason
Normal user

notifications and esp

#1 Post by davecason » 08 Dec 2018, 03:52

Hi Gang !

I'm gonna start a new thread about seeing if I can get the Notifications thing working for me and I'm not seeing a ton of info on it.

I have a WeMOS ESP8266 hooked up with two DS18b20 temperature probes - one measuring the temperature of my hot tub and the
other the air temp. I want to have the ESP see if it can email me a warning message if the temperature on the Hot Tub goes below
a specific set point.

Sometimes my tub goes in to a state called an SNS mode where the temperature sensors and the hot tub's brain get out of wack and
the real problem is when that happens the whole tub shuts down till you manually hit a button and it starts to cool off.
That's a bad thing, hence the monitoring with an ESP. :-)

I do have it tossing its output to a MQTT and its happy but is there a way to get the notifications email function going so if the tub
does barf and start to cool down, can I get it to send me an email if the temperature drops bellow something like 96 degrees F?
hottubmqtt.png
hottubmqtt.png (42.2 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
BTW - The version's I'm on is: Mega-20181108

Cheers'
Dave Cason

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: notifications and esp

#2 Post by ThomasB » 08 Dec 2018, 05:27

I followed the wiki information and did not experience any issues with getting emailed notifications to work.
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... ifications

Fill out all the account details as explained in the wiki. If it does not work then enable the weblog and set it to debug level. Capture the log output while an email is being sent and review the error messages.

- Thomas

davecason
Normal user

#3 Post by davecason » 09 Dec 2018, 04:37

Hi Thomas,

Yep .... I saw that Wiki ...... I also tried to get one of the two accounts going but more about that later.

My real question is in my case is - its the activation part of the process first - not so much the actual email going out.
I don't have a way to tell the unit to wake up as a trigger, not by a photcell, or an on off value that changes suddenly.

Can an ESP (by itself) recognize the value change in a temperature probe and active an e-mail based on that?

Can I find a program or code or some way to make the ESP send out an email if it see's a temperature drop below a
specific set point? Is there a way to tell an ESP to "watch" a temperature value from a DS18b20 and monitor that
temperature and if it goes below ( pick 96 degrees F ) so right now it varies from a range of 98 to 102 and that's
the OK range. Do nothing, but if it goes down to 96 degrees or lower can the ESP send an email XYZ message?
Or maybe hourly till the low temperature state is fixed?

I'll go work on setting up the wiki on my test ESP here on my bench and try to get the mail function going in the meantime.
Thanks for the reply BTW too !!

Cheers'
Dave

grovkillen
Core team member

#4 Post by grovkillen » 09 Dec 2018, 07:44

Code: Select all

on Box#Temp do
 if [Box#Temp]<96
  notify,1,"Box temperature is [Box#Temp]°F!"
 endif
endon
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

wthiess
New user

#5 Post by wthiess » 13 Feb 2019, 17:18

unfortunately, the code keeps sending emails and not just when the event occurs.
lg
wolfgang

grovkillen
Core team member

#6 Post by grovkillen » 13 Feb 2019, 18:57

wthiess wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 17:18 unfortunately, the code keeps sending emails and not just when the event occurs.
lg
wolfgang
That sounds not right. You need to give us all info you can give.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea: