Problems with Sonoff S20 and Basic

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Heiend
Normal user

Problems with Sonoff S20 and Basic

#1 Post by Heiend » 08 Sep 2018, 12:59

Hi!

I have massive WIFI-problems with Sonoff s20 and Basic. I tested several sonoffs, all have the same problems: very Slow, boot loops, often losing temprary Wifi connection, losing complete WIFI-connection, after configure with the setup-AP the sonoff often crashes, if I got it running I got boot loops on changing WIFI. I wondered why you don't fix this problems, till I had the idea that you are testing on other devices :-) So I flashed a ESP8266 dev-board with the 20180904 (this version don't run on my sonoffs) and it works like a charme. YESSS!!! The last version that runs with fewer problems on my Sonoffs is 20180804.

Do you have any idea what I have to do to get ESPeasy running on this Sonoff devices? Is it possible that the USB to Serial/TTL Adapter causes that kind of problems? The dev-bord has its own USB-port and to flash the Sonoffs I use a USB to Serial/TTL Adapter.

Heiko

PS.: With ESPeasy you are doing a very great job. If I can help with testing or something else, please let me know. My programming skills are very very low, but I have experience in testing and some ESP device here (ESP8266, ESP32, diffent boards).

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: Problems with Sonoff S20 and Basic

#2 Post by grovkillen » 08 Sep 2018, 13:21

Do you have any firmware already in the devices when you're trying to flash them with ESP Easy? If so you might need to "blank flash" them first. You can download a blank bin here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8i2gr26t09l9 ... s.zip?dl=1

Thanks for the overall feedback, we love to get that kinda stuff :D We're thinking of maybe get some beta tester team that we can rely on when it comes to need features and updates but that is for the day we get to do this full time. 8-)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

Heiend
Normal user

#3 Post by Heiend » 08 Sep 2018, 15:02

Thank you for your quick response.

I erased the flash by erasing it via esptool and now again with the 1MB blank image, but it still doesn't work with newer versions. Now I have the version 20180804 installed again and it works (Sonoff basic). I think I must stop to try it today, else I will lose my last hair :-)

If you have some other ideas I would be happy to test them.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 09 Sep 2018, 21:27

There was an issue with the 0908 build, which I fixed yesterday.
So if your modules were rebooting due to the same issue I fixed yesterday, then it should work with 0909 version.

Heiend
Normal user

#5 Post by Heiend » 10 Sep 2018, 12:18

Hi,

thank you for your great support.

I figuered out the reason for my problems today. Until now I flashed the ESPs with my Mac and esptool 2.3.2 and it seams so that this doesn'r work wery good. With dev boards I had nearly no problems, but on Sonoff devices I was not able to flash a running ESPeasy higher than version 20180804. Today I decided to flash the Sonoff devices with my WIN laptop instead the Mac and it works. Sorry for the unnecessary Thread :-) I have to check my tool chain on my Mac.