New ESP gadget

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

bennybubble
Normal user

Re: New ESP gadget

#231 Post by bennybubble » 15 Feb 2017, 15:14

Thanks for your replies!

Interesting thing is that via MQTT I can control the LED and relay almost instantaneously but the webpages do not respond or respond very slowly.
I will reflash tonight and see what happens.

-ben

paxi
Normal user

#232 Post by paxi » 15 Feb 2017, 15:56

That's exactly what I've obseved, too. Not sure if it is due to the webinterface running a seperate server process or just more packets going back and forth. Once I ran into a situation (with the first device mentioned) where the rules page was loading perfectly but did not accept changes at all (no response from server after submitting) - repeatedly... :evil:

Btw. I use the attached file to conveniently clear the flash with the espeasy firmware flasher.
Attachments
ESPEasy_R0_1024.zip
Just a meg of 0xFF
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 1607 times

MonkeyTown
Normal user

#233 Post by MonkeyTown » 07 Mar 2017, 05:33

Hi all.

Anyone got the new Itead LED strip? https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-led.html

I have two. Successfully flashed with ver. 120. Working pretty fine, I actually believe they are an absolute bargain for what they can do. I can emulate all the functions of the original firmware.

BUT
Every few days one or the other randomly resets. It's not a wifi issue, it can't be a power issue. They run warm, but not hot. I have setup an Sysinfo device and tracking uptime in Domoticz, there seems to be no real pattern to the resets.
Anyone have these? Experiencing issues? Most of my other Sonoffs are rock solid. My Slampher is controlling lights for months and is like a Swiss watch...
I will try to re-flash a different build, older and newer and will report back, but maybe someone here is using those without issues?

btw. the ESP easy (Let's control it) Rules function is an absolute godsend. Using the rules I can create as many "dimmer" levels and white yellow LED mixes as I want and Domoticz happily obliges using dummy selector switch.

BounceMeister
Normal user

#234 Post by BounceMeister » 10 Mar 2017, 20:34

moelski wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 08:28 Hi !
We have to send the hex value:
0x00 both off
0x01 relay one on
0x02 relay two on
0x03 both relays on
..but how?
Hmm Looks like simple send some data over the Serial port.
But I wonder a Little about the INT / E-FW Connection.

But sending some data within a new plugin is really straight forward :ugeek:
I received a Sonoff Dual today, it has the SIL F330 chip on it which controls the relays. I would like to use the Sonoff with ESP EASY and Domoticz.
Since i'm new to ESP EASY (and only got an Oled screen and a led working on a NodeMCU v3 board), i don't quite understand how to get the Sonoff working with the F330 chip. Where can i find more information about this?
Flashing the Sonoff shouldn't be a problem, but the working with the F330 chip is a problem. ;)

bobbybeans
Normal user

#235 Post by bobbybeans » 14 Mar 2017, 18:28

rfromr wrote: 21 Dec 2016, 17:13 Hello,

I received the device today. The flash was success full with ESPEasy, without problems.
BUT it don't know which two GPIO's are used for the relais. Any ideas? Please help :-)

For flashing I used this picture. Pin: VCC (3.3V), RX, TX, GND

Sonoff_Dual_Hardware.png
and set this ESP PIN GPIO00 to ground.
Hey I got the ESP dual working without any plugins or anything other than basic esp easy
What you need to do is take a wire solder it to the pin of the ESP then solder the other end to the transistor driving the relay. then when you drive the pin high the relay goes high. However the downside of this is you lose the function of your LEDs that note the relays on and off
I will see if I can get a picture tonight of what I did

BounceMeister
Normal user

#236 Post by BounceMeister » 20 Mar 2017, 11:00

bobbybeans wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 18:28

I received the device today. The flash was success full with ESPEasy, without problems.
BUT it don't know which two GPIO's are used for the relais. Any ideas? Please help :-)

Sonoff_Dual_Hardware.png
Hey I got the ESP dual working without any plugins or anything other than basic esp easy
What you need to do is take a wire solder it to the pin of the ESP then solder the other end to the transistor driving the relay. then when you drive the pin high the relay goes high. However the downside of this is you lose the function of your LEDs that note the relays on and off
So that's kind of a "dirty" solution to the problem i think. ;-)
There is someone that has this woring with his own ESPurna firmware.
Would it in any way be possible to implement his code for controlling the F330 chip into ESPEasy?

krikk
Normal user

#237 Post by krikk » 22 Mar 2017, 08:09

yeah would be great if we could incoporate this in espeasy, should be possible, but needs at least someone who is able to code it, and who has a device to test, i only have a simple sonoff no dual :)

bobbybeans
Normal user

#238 Post by bobbybeans » 22 Mar 2017, 20:31

BounceMeister wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 11:00
bobbybeans wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 18:28

Sonoff_Dual_Hardware.png
So that's kind of a "dirty" solution to the problem i think. ;-)
There is someone that has this woring with his own ESPurna firmware.
Would it in any way be possible to implement his code for controlling the F330 chip into ESPEasy?
opps completely forgot to get the picture, but yes i agree it is dirty and i did it before espruna even had it working. I will keep it, till espeasy has it working

Shardan
Normal user

#239 Post by Shardan » 22 Mar 2017, 21:06

It definitely would be nice to have this in ESPEasy.

It's not only the Sonoff DUAL that has this additional chip, some other Sonoffs have it too.

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

Zeric
Normal user

#240 Post by Zeric » 30 Mar 2017, 01:55

re: Sonoff Dual

The protocol to the secondary Silabs C8051F330 MCU is simple and wouldn't be hard to implement, but would require a plug in. Since the interface between the two MCUs uses the serial port, any other use would have to be disabled. This is unfortunate as the serial port logging function of Esp Easy is very helpful in debugging.

Markus Maeder wrote about the protocol on the itead discussion board. My understanding is It's basically:
19230,8,n,1
0xA0 - Start Byte
0x04 - Number of relays?
0xXX - Status/Command binary mask. Each relay is one bit, relay #1 is 0x01, relay #2 is 0x02, relay #1 and #2 is 0x03
0xA1 - Stop Byte

The protocol is bidirectional. Data from the esp8266 to the C8051F330 controls the relays, and when a button is pressed, the C8051F330 actuates the relays and lets the esp8266 know about it using the same protocol. I haven't seen anything about being able to query the C8051F330 to get the current status.

krikk
Normal user

#241 Post by krikk » 07 Apr 2017, 20:54

espurna firmware has already support, so with a testing unit it should be quite simple to make a plugin for espeasy...

see here:
https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna ... lay.ino-34

...no i will not code it, have no hardware :)

BounceMeister
Normal user

#242 Post by BounceMeister » 02 May 2017, 23:10

I tried ESPurna, but i can't get it to work on my Sonoff Dual. It fails at the start, while trying to connect.
I'll just forget about this Sonoff stuff. It sounded great, but it's just a disappointment to me now.

Now i have to figure out a way to flash the original firmware back onto it.

costo
Normal user

#243 Post by costo » 03 May 2017, 16:39

BounceMeister wrote: 02 May 2017, 23:10 I tried ESPurna, but i can't get it to work on my Sonoff Dual. It fails at the start, while trying to connect.
I'll just forget about this Sonoff stuff. It sounded great, but it's just a disappointment to me now.

Did you try to flash the compiled source as it is published by the maker of espurna ?
You can find all the Sonoff precompiled firmware bin_files here:
https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna/downloads/
I think it can work on your dual relais or 4 channel relais very well if you follow the right steps.

Now I will go offtopic a little but this is my very positive experience with espurna:

I flashed my Sonoff-POW with Espurna and it works great. I compiled it myself with Atom editer and PlatformIO plugin. I work under linux and followed this guide:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/12/03/ ... ss-switch/

In linux or windows:
After flashing you login on 192.168.4.1 , username is admin and password is fibonacci. The first thing the firmware wants you to do is create a new password.
New password needs minimal 8 characters with at least 1 Capital and 1 Number.
Than you enter your own user/pass for your local WiFi network and go to there.
There fill in your MQTT Server_IP and Topic_name (I left topic unchanged).

As I use Domoticz I went to the Domoticz tab on sonoff-pow internal webserver and filled in 5 Idx numbers earlier created in Domoticz as Virtual sensors.
1 Power sensor type: Usage_Electric , registers in Watt
2 Energy_Increment type: Counter_Incremental , registers in kWh (WattHours)
3 Voltage type: Voltage , registers in Volt
4 Current type: Ampere(1 phase) , registers in Ampere
5 Switch type: Switch
Enabled a Domoticz hardware device called: MQTT Client Gateway with Lan Interface. IP is IP of my local RasPi server and the port is 1883. The publish topic i set to ´out +/´ .
You can even calibrate the Sonoff-pow in the webinterface by connecting a known resistive device (lamp or heater) and fill in the measured Watts, Current and Voltage in the Power tab and update these values.

I think Espurna is great software and, as most Sonoff´s are dedicated devices, there is no real need to integrate any of the Sonoff devices in ESPEasy. You can so easy use the precompiled source code from Xose Perez from bitbucket.

drbrains
Normal user

#244 Post by drbrains » 04 May 2017, 06:49

Espurna not connecting sounds to me that the webpage stored as SPIFSS was not uploaded. Version until 1.7 needed that. Later versions use a different approach. Without the webpage you still can configure from e.g., a terminal. Read : https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna ... bInterface

I have it working without any problems (using ver 1.6.3 if it's not broken, don't fix ;) ). I use a mix if ESP-Easy, Espurna and Tasmota using MQTT to Domoticz. For me firmware depends on what I try to control. ESP-Easy I mainly use as development tool. Creating more task dedicated firmware after my prototype/setup works.

hschroyen
New user

#245 Post by hschroyen » 04 May 2017, 14:02

Still...

It would be nice to have 1 software to control all the sonoff devices..and for me this would preferable be ESPeasy as I love the set-up.
I can only copy past and I am not a real programmer so I need to wait for this to be integrated...my sonoff POW devices are waiting and collecting dust :(

So I hope somebody can find time to integrate this.

Regards

Shardan
Normal user

#246 Post by Shardan » 04 May 2017, 14:09

hschroyen wrote: 04 May 2017, 14:02 Still...

It would be nice to have 1 software to control all the sonoff devices..and for me this would preferable be ESPeasy as I love the set-up.
I can only copy past and I am not a real programmer so I need to wait for this to be integrated...my sonoff POW devices are waiting and collecting dust :(

Regards
Same here. I have two Sonoff dual here, i'd like to use for some purposes.
My Sonoff Basic and Four-ch Switches are running nicely with ESPEasy.

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

the cosmic gate
Normal user

#247 Post by the cosmic gate » 15 Jun 2017, 22:34

Shardan wrote: 04 May 2017, 14:09

Regards

Regards
Shardan
+1 get the Sonoff dual running on Espruna, but don''t want to install MQTT because i didn''t use this at all . So please please is there somebody who can get this running ?
Maybe with a little bit help from the Espruna lib''s ? https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna ... a64f?at=v2

manjh
Normal user

#248 Post by manjh » 06 Jul 2017, 23:21

I have a Sonoff device that has been working OK for a long time, and now suddenly fails. It cannot be reached via its designated IP address.
When I check Wifi, I can see that it offers the access point, as if it has just been flashed. It comes up as ESP_21, which makes sense since I assigned it to uinit 21.
I can actually connect using the configesp password. But then all attempts to proceed fail. Browser does not come up with the config screen.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? My next step would be to dig the device out (it has been built in), attach to serial and see what can be done.
But given all the effort that would take, are there any other suggestions?

renearts
New user

#249 Post by renearts » 07 Jul 2017, 16:36

the cosmic gate wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 22:34
Shardan wrote: 04 May 2017, 14:09

Regards

Regards
Shardan
+1 get the Sonoff dual running on Espruna, but don''t want to install MQTT because i didn''t use this at all . So please please is there somebody who can get this running ?
Maybe with a little bit help from the Espruna lib''s ? https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna ... a64f?at=v2
I'm currently using two Sonoff Duals as well, though with the Tasmota firmware using MQTT.
Would love to flash them with ESPEasy, as it is a real delight to work with, and easier to keep all devices around the house on one system.
The most important code regarding the Dual from Espurna seems to be this snippet:

Code: Select all

void relayProviderStatus(unsigned char id, bool status) {

#if RELAY_PROVIDER == RELAY_PROVIDER_DUAL
        _dual_status ^= (1 << id);
        Serial.flush();
        Serial.write(0xA0);
        Serial.write(0x04);
        Serial.write(_dual_status);
        Serial.write(0xA1);
        Serial.flush();
    #endif

#if RELAY_PROVIDER == RELAY_PROVIDER_LIGHT
        lightState(status);
    #endif

#if RELAY_PROVIDER == RELAY_PROVIDER_RELAY
        digitalWrite(_relays[id].pin, _relays[id].reverse ? !status : status);
    #endif

}
I hope I can find some time somewhere in the next weeks to fiddle a bit around with the dual.

enesbcs
Normal user

#250 Post by enesbcs » 08 Jul 2017, 08:21

renearts wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 16:36 ...
Would love to flash them with ESPEasy, as it is a real delight to work with, and easier to keep all devices around the house on one system.
The most important code regarding the Dual from Espurna seems to be this snippet:
I hope I can find some time somewhere in the next weeks to fiddle a bit around with the dual.
I'm looking forward to the testers of plugin 165... :)
https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 380#p17380

There are also a direct approach of the Sonoff Dual control by bryan:
https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 258#p17196

enesbcs
Normal user

#251 Post by enesbcs » 08 Jul 2017, 21:24

Anyone seen Xenon WiFi Touch Switch? It's more expensive than Sonoff Touch...

renearts
New user

#252 Post by renearts » 13 Jul 2017, 17:05

enesbcs wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 08:21
renearts wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 16:36 ...
I'm looking forward to the testers of plugin 165... :)
https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 380#p17380

There are also a direct approach of the Sonoff Dual control by bryan:
https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 258#p17196
Oh that's great, must have overlooked this one. I hope I can find some spare time the next coming days to give this a try!

darek2
New user

#253 Post by darek2 » 07 Aug 2017, 19:09

papperone
Normal user

#254 Post by papperone » 07 Aug 2017, 22:18

what's the point? more expensive than a sonoff and it requires an external power supply... :?
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

pverburg
New user

#255 Post by pverburg » 13 Aug 2017, 03:55

Thanks for your off topic information.

I now have my pow reporting in to domoticz with your help still lots to learn.
ESPurna works great and I do see the POW as separate to the other sonoff products I'm running.
Life control circuits need to be handled with respect.

Paul V.

costo wrote: 03 May 2017, 16:39
BounceMeister wrote: 02 May 2017, 23:10 I tried ESPurna, but i can't get it to work on my Sonoff Dual. It fails at the start, while trying to connect.

Did you try to flash the compiled source as it is published by the maker of espurna ?
You can find all the Sonoff precompiled firmware bin_files here:
https://bitbucket.org/xoseperez/espurna/downloads/
I think it can work on your dual relais or 4 channel relais very well if you follow the right steps.

Now I will go offtopic a little but this is my very positive experience with espurna:

I flashed my Sonoff-POW with Espurna and it works great. I compiled it myself with Atom editer and PlatformIO plugin. I work under linux and followed this guide:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/12/03/ ... ss-switch/

In linux or windows:
After flashing you login on 192.168.4.1 , username is admin and password is fibonacci. The first thing the firmware wants you to do is create a new password.
New password needs minimal 8 characters with at least 1 Capital and 1 Number.
Than you enter your own user/pass for your local WiFi network and go to there.
There fill in your MQTT Server_IP and Topic_name (I left topic unchanged).

As I use Domoticz I went to the Domoticz tab on sonoff-pow internal webserver and filled in 5 Idx numbers earlier created in Domoticz as Virtual sensors.
1 Power sensor type: Usage_Electric , registers in Watt
2 Energy_Increment type: Counter_Incremental , registers in kWh (WattHours)
3 Voltage type: Voltage , registers in Volt
4 Current type: Ampere(1 phase) , registers in Ampere
5 Switch type: Switch
Enabled a Domoticz hardware device called: MQTT Client Gateway with Lan Interface. IP is IP of my local RasPi server and the port is 1883. The publish topic i set to ´out +/´ .
You can even calibrate the Sonoff-pow in the webinterface by connecting a known resistive device (lamp or heater) and fill in the measured Watts, Current and Voltage in the Power tab and update these values.

I think Espurna is great software and, as most Sonoff´s are dedicated devices, there is no real need to integrate any of the Sonoff devices in ESPEasy. You can so easy use the precompiled source code from Xose Perez from bitbucket.

enesbcs
Normal user

#256 Post by enesbcs » 10 Sep 2017, 18:47

papperone wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 22:18
what's the point? more expensive than a sonoff and it requires an external power supply... :?
And with internal power supply? (50x33x22mm)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-Wifi-Re ... EBIDX%3AIT

enesbcs
Normal user

#257 Post by enesbcs » 10 Sep 2017, 18:52

Anyone tried DiFi ESP8266? Seems nice, altough it's price is higher than a Raspberry Pi Zero W. :)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DiFi-ES ... 45026.html

papperone
Normal user

#258 Post by papperone » 10 Sep 2017, 21:06

enesbcs wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 18:47
papperone wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 22:18
And with internal power supply? (50x33x22mm)
Have you look the distance between relay pins (NO/COM/NC) and the ESP pins?
Would you consider have main live so close to the digital pins of the microcontroller? Not me!
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

enesbcs
Normal user

#259 Post by enesbcs » 11 Sep 2017, 17:30

papperone wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 21:06
enesbcs wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 18:47 And with internal power supply? (50x33x22mm)
Have you look the distance between relay pins (NO/COM/NC) and the ESP pins?
Would you consider have main live so close to the digital pins of the microcontroller? Not me!
Good point. What is the appropriate distance according to you?

papperone
Normal user

#260 Post by papperone » 11 Sep 2017, 21:00

enesbcs wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 17:30
papperone wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 21:06 Have you look the distance between relay pins (NO/COM/NC) and the ESP pins?
Good point. What is the appropriate distance according to you?
In my design I use minimum 15mm or if this is not possible I add a "cut/hole" in between to separate high/low voltage traces...

MonkeyTown
Normal user

#261 Post by MonkeyTown » 27 Oct 2017, 04:45

Just in case anyone is running into problems after flashing the new Sonoff S20 plugs (or maybe others as well)

Sonoff flashes as usual, but after reset (plugging in AC) there is now Wifi AP as the device just hangs. New boards are either delivered with ESP8285 or need DOut reset mode.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3615&p=20211#p20211

enesbcs
Normal user

#262 Post by enesbcs » 20 Nov 2017, 18:19

Not new, but anyone has tested the followin ESP relay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-ESP-01 ... 2864309446
It has a greater brother that has a serial MCU between the relay and the ESP-01, but this smaller version (yellow socket, no serial pins) is working similarly?

manjh
Normal user

#263 Post by manjh » 20 Nov 2017, 18:26

enesbcs wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 18:19 Not new, but anyone has tested the followin ESP relay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-ESP-01 ... 2864309446
It has a greater brother that has a serial MCU between the relay and the ESP-01, but this smaller version (yellow socket, no serial pins) is working similarly?
As far as I can see it is 8266 based!
See this one at Banggood:
https://www.banggood.com/search/esp-01s ... odule.html
I think that would take this unit:
https://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-Versi ... rehouse=CN
So the ebay offer is not bad at all!

enesbcs
Normal user

#264 Post by enesbcs » 20 Nov 2017, 18:33

manjh wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 18:26 As far as I can see it is 8266 based!
The pictures at banggood are better.. I do not see other MCU, the relay perhaps directly changed by GPIO0 of the ESP-01?

manjh
Normal user

#265 Post by manjh » 20 Nov 2017, 19:02

enesbcs wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 18:33
manjh wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 18:26 As far as I can see it is 8266 based!
The pictures at banggood are better.. I do not see other MCU, the relay perhaps directly changed by GPIO0 of the ESP-01?
It looks like a very simple device, so I assume you are right.... anyway, the risk is low (only a few Euro's).

papperone
Normal user

#266 Post by papperone » 20 Nov 2017, 20:42

Wouldn't be better a Sonoff then?
As far as you need to drive 230VAC load you can't find better deals...

enesbcs
Normal user

#267 Post by enesbcs » 20 Nov 2017, 20:59

papperone wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 20:42 Wouldn't be better a Sonoff then?
I am sure that a Sonoff would be better, but it's size is impressive: 37 x 25mm.
It's in my shopping cart more than an hour, viewing pictures from every angle, thinking about it... then i realize the truth in manjh's post and buy one. :) I'll see what can this be used for.

manjh
Normal user

#268 Post by manjh » 20 Nov 2017, 22:25

enesbcs wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 20:59
papperone wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 20:42 Wouldn't be better a Sonoff then?
I am sure that a Sonoff would be better, but it's size is impressive: 37 x 25mm.
It's in my shopping cart more than an hour, viewing pictures from every angle, thinking about it... then i realize the truth in manjh's post and buy one. :) I'll see what can this be used for.
I ordered one minutes after I read your post, mainly to see what it can be used for :) .

The argument about Sonoff is valid, but Sonoff has different features.
It is powered directly from 230V, which can be an advantage. On the other hand it can also be a disadvantage if I want to switch anything else than 230V mains.
Also, the Sonoff is bigger. This unit could be easier to build into a device, provided there is a 5V power source available (or enough room to add a small 5V power supply).
So: there is no winner, both devices are different and useful (I hope).

papperone
Normal user

#269 Post by papperone » 20 Nov 2017, 23:48

manjh wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 22:25 I ordered one minutes after I read your post, mainly to see what it can be used for :) .

The argument about Sonoff is valid, but Sonoff has different features.
It is powered directly from 230V, which can be an advantage. On the other hand it can also be a disadvantage if I want to switch anything else than 230V mains.
Also, the Sonoff is bigger. This unit could be easier to build into a device, provided there is a 5V power source available (or enough room to add a small 5V power supply).
So: there is no winner, both devices are different and useful (I hope).
I agree there's no winner, I was assuming that if you need to switch AC load, then sonoff is more self-contained and for this other board you need external 5VDC to be supplied (that will make not easy to fit the units, considering as well the power supply).

toffel969
Normal user

#270 Post by toffel969 » 21 Nov 2017, 00:18

As an idea, if you need to have the relay on a different purpose than switching mains, one can cut the traces to mains.
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

manjh
Normal user

#271 Post by manjh » 21 Nov 2017, 10:12

toffel969 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 00:18 As an idea, if you need to have the relay on a different purpose than switching mains, one can cut the traces to mains.
On a Sonoff you can't, since the power supply for the ESP part is drawn from mains.
On the little device in this topic: you don't need to, since the relay will only be used for switching, so it doesn't really care what is attached.

toffel969
Normal user

#272 Post by toffel969 » 21 Nov 2017, 16:55

manjh wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 10:12
toffel969 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 00:18 As an idea, if you need to have the relay on a different purpose than switching mains, one can cut the traces to mains.
On a Sonoff you can't, since the power supply for the ESP part is drawn from mains.
On the little device in this topic: you don't need to, since the relay will only be used for switching, so it doesn't really care what is attached.
That is exactly what I am trying to point out. You can achieve the same functionality with a Sonoff, you just need to cut the traces connecting mains from input clamps to the relay. Then you can switch anything.
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

manjh
Normal user

#273 Post by manjh » 21 Nov 2017, 17:06

toffel969 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 16:55
That is exactly what I am trying to point out. You can achieve the same functionality with a Sonoff, you just need to cut the traces connecting mains from input clamps to the relay. Then you can switch anything.
Sounds tricky, since you would need to keep the leads to the power supply intact! Remember the ESP part of the Sonoff is powered that way.
Also, you would have to make new connections to the relay.
I think I would rather go for a separate NodeMCU with a relay board, which is effectively just what this small device is.

toffel969
Normal user

#274 Post by toffel969 » 21 Nov 2017, 17:18

manjh wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 17:06
Sounds tricky, since you would need to keep the leads to the power supply intact! Remember the ESP part of the Sonoff is powered that way.
Also, you would have to make new connections to the relay.
I think I would rather go for a separate NodeMCU with a relay board, which is effectively just what this small device is.
Sure, I got nothing against the small device, and if you buy for the purpose, it is undoutbely better than "open heart surgery" on a sonoff.
However, often one finds the situation where you just have a sonoff lying around and want to switch "something DC"... then cutting the traces and making a new connection can be an option.

papperone
Normal user

#275 Post by papperone » 21 Nov 2017, 17:44

I've my own custom made solution, which is way better than sonoff, up to 3 relays and can control anything from 230VAC down to 5VDC :mrgreen:
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... ule3xRelay
It's small enough (80x60 mm) and I just need to design an enclosure fro external use (not top priority as I'm already using many of those inside junction boxes)

PS: it also has a full ESP8266 with 4Mb flash mem and all pinout brough out to pinheaders for easy connection of additional devices (I use those pins for temperature sensors and PIR devices)

toffel969
Normal user

#276 Post by toffel969 » 21 Nov 2017, 18:08

papperone wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 17:44 I've my own custom made solution, which is way better than sonoff, up to 3 relays and can control anything from 230VAC down to 5VDC :mrgreen:
It's small enough (80x60 mm) and I just need to design an enclosure fro external use (not top priority as I'm already using many of those inside junction boxes)

PS: it also has a full ESP8266 with 4Mb flash mem and all pinout brough out to pinheaders for easy connection of additional devices (I use those pins for temperature sensors and PIR devices)
In deed, this is better. Do you sell your pcb?

papperone
Normal user

#277 Post by papperone » 21 Nov 2017, 21:52

toffel969 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 18:08
papperone wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 17:44 I've my own custom made solution, which is way better than sonoff, up to 3 relays and can control anything from 230VAC down to 5VDC :mrgreen:

In deed, this is better. Do you sell your pcb?
never thought about it, if you are able to assemble it I can share the gerber files but consider all discrete components are SMD...

LisaM
Normal user

#278 Post by LisaM » 22 Nov 2017, 03:26

One of the most densly packed esp8266 i ever saw: https://github.com/JanGoe/esp8266-wifi-relay
48x48mm...
I once asked itead for even more densely packed 8266, an micro module. Never heard back from them...

papperone
Normal user

#279 Post by papperone » 22 Nov 2017, 07:00

LisaM wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 03:26 One of the most densly packed esp8266 i ever saw: https://github.com/JanGoe/esp8266-wifi-relay
48x48mm...
I once asked itead for even more densely packed 8266, an micro module. Never heard back from them...
I know this design Lisa but IMHO it's too packed with several issues:
1) the ESP8266 antenna is somehow blocked and I'm certain the quality of WiFi can't be that good
2) GPIO15 pulldown is done without resistor :o
3) Resistor to the mosfet gate is too big (100K?)
4) No RESET button (and with module connected to MAIN I wonder how you can do it in a safer way
5) CH_PD is pulled high without resistor :o
6) GPIO0/2 shoudl be pulled high at boot for proper boot
7) GPIO0 is floating and I'm sure this can lead to random issues
8) Relays are driven directly while I believe an optocoupler gives better protection to spikes
9) SDA/SCL signals are not pulled HIGH and this can cause issues with some I2C devices

I'm sure there are other issues but above list is long enough for me to classify this module as "I don't like it" :D
Last edited by papperone on 22 Nov 2017, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

TD-er
Core team member

#280 Post by TD-er » 22 Nov 2017, 09:17

Just cutting traces on mains power lines is not a good idea.
For 230V you need to keep a gap of at least 3 mm or else it could create an arc between the copper lines and thus isn't safe to touch.