OTA Firmware update failed - what did I do wrong?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

jschwalbe
Normal user

OTA Firmware update failed - what did I do wrong?

#1 Post by jschwalbe » 21 Jan 2017, 22:21

Hello! I have one of these "Eco" wifi plugs that I was able to flash with ESPEasy via USB TTL device. I used R120 and decided that I wanted to instead upgrade it to the latest available, R147. I checked the Main page which stated that I had Flash size: 1024 kB. So I loaded the new firmware (selecting the 1024 version with filename "ESPEasy_R147_1024.bin") and it seemed to load. The message was something like "Updating complete..". But when it rebooted, it hasn't come back online. It's not on my network & it's not broadcasting an ESP_0 network either.

What gives? Now just to see if I chose incorrectly, I tried the same method, but with the _512.bin filename on a different device. Same outcome.

Currently they are both sitting there, plugged into the wall, flashing the blue LED in a strobe-like pattern. blink-blink-blink about 2 blinks/second.

Is there a recovery mode, or a reset mode? Basically, is there anything I can do besides opening them up and reflashing them? Because that's a pain in the butt! AND, since I have a few other devices that I haven't tried flashing yet, is there any way to flash those via web that will work where these failed?

Many many thanks!

CoolRemote
Normal user

Re: OTA Firmware update failed - what did I do wrong?

#2 Post by CoolRemote » 29 Jan 2017, 20:18

I have been strugling with a simmilar problem. I flashed the Sonoff and followed exactly the steps provided in a video.
However it didn't come back online, at least that is what I thought. I took another mobile phone and used a tablet and after a scan it showed up in the list. It might take a little while to show up, like 2 or 3 minutes.

jschwalbe
Normal user

#3 Post by jschwalbe » 29 Jan 2017, 20:50

Thanks, but nah - after 2 weeks it hasn't showed up on multiple iPhones and computers. It's dead, Jim. :)

CoolRemote
Normal user

#4 Post by CoolRemote » 29 Jan 2017, 21:23

Have you tried to do the flash again? What is the result of the flash if you do this again? I have been succesful by following this "step by step" video and using the CH340 USB to Serial adapter. (No Arduino) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN_QKOW ... ubs_digest

jschwalbe
Normal user

#5 Post by jschwalbe » 29 Jan 2017, 22:19

It'll reflash but just didn't like doing it over WiFi. :(

CoolRemote
Normal user

#6 Post by CoolRemote » 29 Jan 2017, 23:08

If the flash was succesful it should not be defective. I had that idea too, until I got help from others here on this forum and it turned out that it was NOT defective.