"aardbeving" vibration detector

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

wcj.konings
New user

"aardbeving" vibration detector

#1 Post by wcj.konings » 16 Apr 2023, 10:38

Hoi, heeft er iemand ervaring met het aansluiten van een "trillingsdetector" op een esp module ( met ESP easy , en Domoticz) ?
Liefst met de mogelijkheid om ook de amplitude te meten.

( men gaat werkzaamheden verrichten in onze straat, en de aannemer heeft (met toestemming) een trillingsmeter tegen de gevel geplaatst.
Dit brengt mij op het idee om dit ook zelf te gaan registreren, daar ik ook al temp. en luchtdruk etc. registreer in ESP easy.

ps. in mijn smartphone zit ook iets dergelijks ,blijkbaar ook met analoge ? registratie, want harder tikken geeft een hogere uitslag ;-))

TD-er
Core team member

Re: "aardbeving" vibration detector

#2 Post by TD-er » 16 Apr 2023, 11:25

De officiele voertaal op het forum hier is Engels.
Dus voor eventuele lezers, zal ik in het Engels antwoorden.

I know Omnidots does have a sensor for this, which they also rent out to companies including their dashboard.
Probably you have one of those?

Problem with measuring such signals is that you need to monitor it constantly and should not miss any samples.
For ESPEasy this is a bit hard to implement as you should have one task run continuously without interruptions.

Purely from an implementation point of view, such a task should run on the 2nd core of an ESP32.
Or perhaps some ATmega frontend which does the pre-processing.

I guess you also should measure the angle of the mounted sensor, so you can determine whether the wall is tilting ("verzakking van de grond/fundering")

On a very basic level, there is already something present as an ESPEasy plugin.
For example the ADXL345 sensor.
This can measure the orientation and also can be set to generate an event whenever an impulse exceeding some amount in 'g' is measured.
The sensor will then keep track of the max. measured value and ESPEasy can act on this.
You can also periodically (e.g. every second) measure the impulse forces, but that's probably not fast enough not to miss the higher impulse values which may cause damages.

What does damage your house is the PGA (peak ground acceleration).
I do live in Groningen, so I have experienced quite a lot of these.
It is quite frustrating to see each quake happening here being reported with a value on the Richter scale, while the PGA is the value that matters.
So with that in mind, I guess logging the PGA's with a ADXL345 might be a good first step to start monitoring.

wcj.konings
New user

#3 Post by wcj.konings » 17 Apr 2023, 00:13

Thank you very much for the response. (I will continue to experiment with it).
(perhaps with a small raspberry p1 or something).

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 17 Apr 2023, 09:04

Like I said, with the mentioned sensor you can already start getting some ideas of "impact forces".
The continuous monitoring will only add information on the forces per frequency.
Those could be interesting to see if there are some very recognizable resonance frequencies.
But that probably also requires expermenting with mounting positions as resonance frequencies are dampened when transitioning from one material to another.