AP "ESP_0XXXXX" after flashing and no login page

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

robob
New user

AP "ESP_0XXXXX" after flashing and no login page

#1 Post by robob » 26 Jun 2016, 21:26

Hi All

I have several ESP8266 01 (1MB black version). None of them work.
I wanted to use ESPEasy (R78). As I have no windows I used the esptool.py to flash the image and it seems to work:
esptool.py v1.1
Connecting...
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Flash params set to 0x0000
Writing 376832 @ 0x0... 376832 (100 %)
Wrote 376832 bytes at 0x0 in 33.2 seconds (90.9 kbit/s)...
Leaving...

Now when I reboot the chip it starts a AP with the SSID "ESP_0XXXXX" where XXXXX are the last digits of the MAC Address.

I can connect to the AP (no password required) and then I cannot go on. Opening the browser gives connection error. I also tries to access via IP 192.168.4.1 with no luck.

I have many ESP8266 and I have the same issue on all of them.

Then I tried to flash AT firmware first (to kind of reset the chip) and reflashed ESPEasy again. No luck.

After several hours of trial and error and reading the web I stuck.

Any ideas?

Roman

costo
Normal user

Re: AP "ESP_0XXXXX" after flashing and no login page

#2 Post by costo » 27 Jun 2016, 00:26

Now when I reboot the chip it starts a AP with the SSID "ESP_0XXXXX" where XXXXX are the last digits of the MAC Address.
When the AP comes with the last digits of it's mac address that make me believe that you did not succeed in flashing the ESP's.
These SSID's are generated by the AT-firmware and not by ESPEasy.

So you should try to flash it again with another tool.
The Arduino IDE is an excellent tool to flash the ESP also on non-windows OS.

robob
New user

#3 Post by robob » 27 Jun 2016, 18:39

Hi Costo,

I downloaded the arduino sdk 1.6.9 and installed it. Then I loaded the R78 Sources and libaries. When I try to upload and arduino starts to compile the code giving several errors. The first on is:

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Linux), Board: "Generic ESP8266 Module, 80 MHz, 40MHz, DIO, 115200, 1M (64K SPIFFS), ck, Disabled, None"

ESPEasy:190: error: no matching function for call to 'PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char [1])'
 PubSubClient MQTTclient("");
                           ^
/home/roman/ESP8266/ESPEasy_R78/Source/ESPEasy/ESPEasy.ino:190:27: note: candidates are:
In file included from /home/roman/ESP8266/ESPEasy_R78/Source/ESPEasy/ESPEasy.ino:171:0:
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:116:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
Mehrere Bibliotheken wurden für "PubSubClient.h" gefunden
 Benutzt: /home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient
 Nicht benutzt: /opt/arduino-1.6.9/libraries/pubsubclient
Mehrere Bibliotheken wurden für "ArduinoJson.h" gefunden
 Benutzt: /home/roman/Arduino/libraries/ArduinoJson
 Nicht benutzt: /opt/arduino-1.6.9/libraries/ArduinoJson
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:116:4: note:   candidate expects 5 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:115:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&)
    PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:115:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:114:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:114:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:113:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, Client&)
    PubSubClient(const char*, uint16_t, Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:113:4: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:112:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(uint8_t*, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(uint8_t *, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:112:4: note:   candidate expects 5 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:111:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(uint8_t*, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&)
    PubSubClient(uint8_t *, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:111:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:110:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(uint8_t*, uint16_t, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(uint8_t *, uint16_t, Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:110:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:109:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(uint8_t*, uint16_t, Client&)
    PubSubClient(uint8_t *, uint16_t, Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:109:4: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:108:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:108:4: note:   candidate expects 5 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:107:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, std::function<void(char*, unsigned char*, unsigned int)>, Client&)
    PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, MQTT_CALLBACK_SIGNATURE,Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:107:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:106:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, Client&, Stream&)
    PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, Client& client, Stream&);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:106:4: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:105:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, Client&)
    PubSubClient(IPAddress, uint16_t, Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:105:4: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:104:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(Client&)
    PubSubClient(Client& client);
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:104:4: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'const char [1]' to 'Client&'
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:103:4: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient()
    PubSubClient();
    ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:103:4: note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:83:7: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const PubSubClient&)
 class PubSubClient {
       ^
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:83:7: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'const char [1]' to 'const PubSubClient&'
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:83:7: note: PubSubClient::PubSubClient(PubSubClient&&)
/home/roman/Arduino/libraries/PubSubClient/src/PubSubClient.h:83:7: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'const char [1]' to 'PubSubClient&&'
Controller:41: error: 'MQTT' does not name a type
 void callback(const MQTT::Publish& pub) {
                     ^
Controller:41: error: expected unqualified-id before '&' token
                                  ^
Controller:41: error: expected ')' before '&' token
Controller:41: error: expected initializer before 'pub'
                                    ^
Controller:41: error: 'MQTT' does not name a type
                     ^
Controller:41: error: expected unqualified-id before '&' token
                                  ^
Controller:41: error: expected ')' before '&' token
Controller:41: error: expected initializer before 'pub'
                                    ^
exit status 1
no matching function for call to 'PubSubClient::PubSubClient(const char [1])'
This does not work for me...:-(

Isn't there another option to load the compiled bin file directly without compiling?

Thank you,
Roman

costo
Normal user

#4 Post by costo » 27 Jun 2016, 19:04

Compiling without errors needs the right IDE and the right libraries.

If you want to compile R78 you need to use an older version of the Arduino IDE, 1.6.5 and not 1.6.9
Also you need to install the ESP8266 Libraries v 2.0.0.
When you want to compile newer beta versions of ESPEasy you need to install ESP8266 libraries v 2.1.0
Which version of ESP8266 libraries you need is defined in the first line of the source code,
#define ESP_CORE 210 when nothing defined you need 2.0.0

Under Linux you probably can flash the ESP directly with a bin file when you use the right utility, not sure if there is one.
I work with linux and always use the Arduino IDE.

Maybe this can help you flashing ESP under linux http://www.whatimade.today/flashing-the ... nux-guide/

robob
New user

#5 Post by robob » 27 Jun 2016, 19:23

Hi Costo,

this link I was using without success. But the Arduino SDK helped me now to find the error as there are visible the flash settings required.
I did now:
esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 74880 write_flash --verify -fm dio -fs 8m 0x00000 /home/roman/ESP8266/ESPEasy_R78_1024.bin

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you

costo
Normal user

#6 Post by costo » 27 Jun 2016, 19:43

great for you Roman.

I never succeeded in installing esptool
That is one reason I always use Arduino IDE.