Domoticz Native integration

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

rmtucker
Normal user

Domoticz Native integration

#1 Post by rmtucker » 15 Nov 2015, 15:47

At the moment ESPeasy is supported through dummy or virtual devices in Domoticz.
This now is showing some problems,like notifications are not supported on virtual devices in Domoticz.
After speaking to Rob he reckons it will never be supported because it would involve too much work.
So i wonder if it is possible to have it natively supported as hardware and not as virtual devices,Like mysensors etc.
I am no programmer but surely it is just a protocol thing because after all mysensors are also running the arduino ide as far as i know.
I know that the espeasy emphasis was on domoticz but we are missing out on important parts of domoticz because it is too 'Easy' if you get my drift.
Just my thought and ramblings anyway?

Clown
New user

Re: Domoticz Native integration

#2 Post by Clown » 15 Nov 2015, 16:09

Notifications in domoticz is working fine here.

rmtucker
Normal user

#3 Post by rmtucker » 15 Nov 2015, 16:17

I don't understand

Email from Gizmocuz

"Okay, but you use a dummy hardware device to push the data
this is indeed not working

i think you can use mysensors.org with the ESP2866 correct?
then you can add it as native hardware (mysensors) and then all should work

problem with virtual updates, it is not going though the normal event system in domoticz "

My Question Will notifications ever work on dummy devices.?

"Nope, because else i have to make 1000 checks with sensor is updated, construct that sensor structure, and send it away to the normal even system "

Clown
New user

#4 Post by Clown » 15 Nov 2015, 16:36

My virtual button in Domoticz.
http://i.imgur.com/lKdDI3J.png
http://i.imgur.com/aCNjnpT.png

If i push my attached button..instant notification from pushover.

rmtucker
Normal user

#5 Post by rmtucker » 15 Nov 2015, 16:57

rmtucker
Normal user

#6 Post by rmtucker » 15 Nov 2015, 22:53

Ah yes it does work with switches but not temperature or voltage etc.

maluko
Normal user

#7 Post by maluko » 16 Nov 2015, 00:15

hi rmtucker

I has tested the notification on domoticz when used temperature sensor and you are right, not worked.

But if you want to receive this worning it could do with "user var" like this:

create a integer var with the value that you want receive the notif. like 30 (30º)
next go to block and create this simple rule:
if- virtual Temperature (esp8266) >= interger var (30)
do send notification that you want.

i has tested now and it working, but has the cons because if you use >= and the temp is up than 30 will send you notification when espeasy do the refresh every 5 minm, only stop when goes down of 30.

rmtucker
Normal user

#8 Post by rmtucker » 16 Nov 2015, 01:23

Yes thank you for that.
Yes i realise it works in blocky but we are getting back to my original discussion that we are having to work around problems because we are using virtual devices because espeasy is not fully integrated into domoticz.
As you have stated it will notify you every 5 mins which is not very helpful.
Surely it is possible to come up with a mysensors type of protocol which is native to domoticz.
As far as i know mysensors is also written in the arduino ide.

Martinus

#9 Post by Martinus » 16 Nov 2015, 14:22

I'm not familiar with Domoticz-Blockly or Lua, but to avoid repeated actions more in general, you should use a state variable in your logic.

Like this:
- State variable starts at value "0" on system start
- Temperature has raised above 30 degree threshold
- Check state variable. If it equals "1" stop processing
- Set state variable to "1"
- Do some actions like notification or turn on something
- Check if temperature has fallen below 30 degree threshold and if so, set state variable back to "0"

You could use slightly different values for low/high threshold to avoid frequent switching (hysteresis)

I guess this can be done in any kind of scripting tool or language. Building a dedicated gateway just to solve these kind of standard control issues would be like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer...

Martinus

#10 Post by Martinus » 06 Dec 2015, 13:23

rmtucker wrote:At the moment ESPeasy is supported through dummy or virtual devices in Domoticz.
This now is showing some problems,like notifications are not supported on virtual devices in Domoticz.
After speaking to Rob he reckons it will never be supported because it would involve too much work.
So i wonder if it is possible to have it natively supported as hardware and not as virtual devices,Like mysensors etc.
I am no programmer but surely it is just a protocol thing because after all mysensors are also running the arduino ide as far as i know.
I know that the espeasy emphasis was on domoticz but we are missing out on important parts of domoticz because it is too 'Easy' if you get my drift.
Just my thought and ramblings anyway?
To read about that limitations on the Domoticz virtual devices was actually quite a disappointment because Domoticz is our main development and test platform. It seems that the http API on virtual devices has only limited support and it's not going to change. It would have been nice if we'd knew this before we started developing :(

But developing a custom ESP Easy gateway for all those Home Automation controllers would take more time than I can spend on this little project. And it will probably ask a level of programming skills far beyond mine, which are just at a very basic level. :mrgreen:

This may be another reason to have a look at MySensors in combination with ESP8266. Currently I have an ESP with a Dallas sensor running in my testlab, using Domoticz with the MySensors LAN gateway. Device was created automatically and I guess all things should work as far as they work for MySensors. Have to see if this ESP firmware from MySensors runs more stable than ESP Easy :oops:

rmtucker
Normal user

#11 Post by rmtucker » 06 Dec 2015, 13:56

Martinus

I have just purchased the kit for mysensors out of curiosity,Because of robs comments on domoticz and the fact he will never fully support ESP virtual devices :( .
So far i am quite impressed except for the wires everywhere and i dont think the range is as good.
I tried the ESP8266 Mysensors Gateway but it was not very stable!!!!.

But i think like someone else commented that ESPeasy and Mysensors are at two different aims.
I have had several devices running ESPEasy for months now and they have been no problem.
Except on the gas and electric meters (Loss of the odd packet because there is no ACK to confirm data has been successfully received in Domoticz.)
But at the end of the day Please let me say that ESPEasy is just that EASY and very stable so thank you for your superb efforts :D .

Martinus

#12 Post by Martinus » 06 Dec 2015, 15:04

I've also read that you can't use the RFID values in blockly. IR seems to have the same limitation. I don't know if this is also due to the limitation with virtual devices.

Stupid enough, I did not test these things to the end during development. I just stopped testing when the values showed up in the webgui, being confident that these things would just work. My mistake. But now I think that using virtual devices in Domoticz was my first and biggest mistake anyway.

So there's a lot of work to be done to get it all fixed somehow.

But this bad news in combination with the good news from Henrik Ekblad from MySensors.org got me rethinking my strategy on ESP Easy development.

Backbone
Normal user

#13 Post by Backbone » 06 Dec 2015, 21:30

Martinus,

No need to say you made a mistake.
All you do is free......no one complaints.
We had Arduino then the ESP shows up.
What can we expect in 12 months time?
It never stops developing and thinking and rethinking and...........
Keep up the good work.

Paco

lunarok
Normal user

#14 Post by lunarok » 06 Dec 2015, 23:04

Yeah, and not to say that the ability to put the same firmware on all your nodes, and "just" configure is so gooooddd
That's really the best thing I have see in ESPeasy. Take 20 of them, upload your sketchs and after just connect on a web page. That's nice

mySensors to compare, the functionnality, ssid and everything is hard written in the code. If you want to change something, not so nice.

This project is needed for me, ESPeasy is a need

kr0815
Normal user

#15 Post by kr0815 » 07 Dec 2015, 00:19

Martinus,

i don´t understand what you want to say with " in combination with the good news from Henrik Ekblad from MySensors.org got me rethinking my strategy on ESP Easy development"
I found your project by chance, was impressed at the very first moment.
Thats´s exactly what people need, i could give a flashed board to friends not familiar with arduino, IDE and such things, but they know how to config something in a web page
Please go on with this Project, i see so much possibilities in it.
What you may consider, forget all this home automation things, just give it a generall http, mqtt, and maybe telnet Interface, People will know what to make out of it in the end
What you made so far is not a competitor to mysensors , but a never seen before Interface to handle sensor data und publish it to many systems.

hek
New user

#16 Post by hek » 07 Dec 2015, 09:07

@Martinus

I think you should continue your ESPeasy project! The world needs more innovation and free/open source HA options, not less.

Martinus

#17 Post by Martinus » 07 Dec 2015, 15:22

With "rethinking" I did not mean abandoning. I just want to take a moment to figure out the best way forward with the project.