sds011 problem with sleep timer

Moderators: BertB, rtenklooster, Voyager, Stuntteam, Martinus

till90
Normal user

sds011 problem with sleep timer

#1 Post by till90 » 14 Jun 2018, 09:27

Hello everybody,

i try to set up a sds011 dust sensor with a measure interval of 3 minutes to save battery life (at the moment it is on power plug supply). I habe the Problem that i dont understand the connection/interaction between the different methods of sleep time, deepsleep, sensor sleep.....

My target is that the nodemcu v3.0 (esp8266) with espeasy_mega firmware and the sds011 dust sensor should run every 3 minutes for a measure cycle and after meassure send the data to thingspeak api and than go to sleep for another 3 minutes.
I dont know which of the parameters i have to set?!

1. There is the sleep time of the sensor itself on the device page.
2. There is the Data Acquisition interval time also on the device page.
3. There is the Sleep Mode section in the Config menue
3.1 With Sleep awake time
3.2 With Sleep time

What is the most power saving config?
Thank you for answers! Best regards Till

TD-er
Normal user

Re: sds011 problem with sleep timer

#2 Post by TD-er » 15 Jun 2018, 00:16

The timer interval of the SDS011 is written to the flash of the sensor itself (when changed).
This means the sensor will wake up by itself, run for 30 seconds and go to sleep again.
This sensor uses a fan and a laser. Both consume quite something and I would think twice before powering them from a battery.
The minimal run time of this sensor is 30 seconds.

At this moment it is not (yet) possible to trigger the sensor to take a sample and send it to sleep again in software. There is however a request for that and it is on my to-do list. (long list)

Without this "software wake" feature, I advice not to use deep sleep with this sensor.
Using the deep sleep feature, it is quite hard to make it wake up at the right moment. These will get out of sync, since the SDS011 will run on its own timer and the deep-sleep of the ESP depends on a lot of variable timings like the time it takes to connect to WiFi.

It may be possible to let the ESP collect the reading and then use some rules to set it to sleep again. That would make it keep sync at least.
But still power consumption is too much for long-time battery runs.