Creating DIY sensors to be supported by RFLink

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

ludrao
New user

Creating DIY sensors to be supported by RFLink

#1 Post by ludrao » 08 Mar 2021, 20:51

Hi RFLink community,

I am in the process of implementing my own 4 temperature single sensors and send that over 433MHz channel.
What would be the recommended protocol to use so that it works readily with RFLink? I suppose multiple temp on the same sensors is not common either?

Thx for your insights

ludrao
New user

Re: Creating DIY sensors to be supported by RFLink

#2 Post by ludrao » 15 Mar 2021, 20:43

Hi @Stuntteam,

My other message was deleted, somehow I should be happy as at least I got your attention ;) . More seriously my goal was clearly not offend you or worse harass you. It was an honest question, as I scrolled the forum and was not able to find a clear answer on why the project turned closed source. I did see some other comments that it might be because some manufacturer did not like it or that there was a risk of core stealing, but that seemed far fetch to me.
In any case I would think that whatever is your reason: if there was a clear post and and acknowledgement of the situation it would help people understand and in the end accept the situation. Deleting post and not answering is not helping.
Heck if the reason was that you are spending an enormous amount of time on this project and would like to make it a paying job, that would not be wrong at all (IMHO). I actually bought the kit sold by nodo (vs building a cheap version from part ordered on eBay or aliexpress) because I thought that with all the work invested, it deserved to go through the official hardware channels (now I do not know if nodo shop is actually related to you).
And I think I would be ready to pay for a contribution if the code was opensource and the project useful for me.

Well of course I am new here and do not have all the context so I probably just miss a lot.

Anyway, the real question :). Do you have plan in future version to be able to support custom templates so that people could add their own plugin to the core, even if they have not the full source? Maybe sharing the core as compiled linkable library, and some compilation scripts to add your own 'plugin' (i.e. protocol decoder).
I'd be happy to help if there is need/room for that. As I mentioned I'd like to add a custom sensor, and I do not think it would 'deserve' to be in the mainline of the code.

Thx again for this project, and I hope I did not irritated you twice ;-)

Cheers