The way forward

Announcements from the Staff

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

frank
Normal user

The way forward

#1 Post by frank » 29 Jan 2017, 11:25

Now Martinus unfortunately stopped, I have a question. In what way is this project to develop and who will control the project?

NietGiftig
Normal user

Re: The way forward

#2 Post by NietGiftig » 29 Jan 2017, 14:12

frank wrote:In what way is this project to develop and who will control the project?
Now thatś a good question.
The person who takes over must have a real knowledge of the software.
Difficult to take over from someone who developed from bottom up.

manjh
Normal user

#3 Post by manjh » 29 Jan 2017, 22:57

Trust me, this has our attention but is not an easy problem to solve.
Filing Martinus's shoes is a challenge! :twisted:

frank
Normal user

#4 Post by frank » 30 Jan 2017, 06:33

manjh wrote:Trust me, this has our attention but is not an easy problem to solve.
Filing Martinus's shoes is a challenge! :twisted:
It are big shoes to fill i understand that. But it is fundemental for the continuation of the project i think.

DeNB3rt
Normal user

#5 Post by DeNB3rt » 30 Jan 2017, 12:36

agree :)
Located in Belgium, Bruges. Working on a full DIY domoticz setup with ESPEasy.

psy0rz
Normal user

#6 Post by psy0rz » 13 Feb 2017, 19:08

What if we have just someone that reviews pull requests and merges them with master? The most pull requests seem pretty straight forward, so I'm willing to give this a try.

Also i need some features myself which some people already coded. This code sometimes can be found on the forum, and I dont like to copy/paste stuff into a locally hacked together version all the time: I'd rather do it one time and do it well.

Martinus created a very solid foundation with a clean software architecture (nice code and modular as well), so it shouldn't be too difficult for an experienced developer to grasp this project.

I have extensive experience in C/C++ programming and git. My own opensource projects are here https://github.com/psy0rz and here http://open.syn3.nl/syn3/trac/default/browser .

Martinus, i've you're still reading this: Are there any bad(tm) bugs or things in the code that need to taken care of ASAP? I also noticed there is no bug tracker?

Edwin Eefting
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

psy0rz
Normal user

#7 Post by psy0rz » 13 Feb 2017, 22:56

As a first step I've created a simple 3 step process that anyone can use to build ESPeasy with http://platformio.org

Its at https://github.com/psy0rz/ESPEasy-platformio.git .

Edwin

JMJ
New user

#8 Post by JMJ » 14 Feb 2017, 00:42

I am not sure using PlatformIO is making the project simpler...
I am sure it is a good system, but not very easy to learn.
For me - one of the best things with EspEasy is the way it programs the ESP chip - just a simple loader and a binary file.

I have had a look at Espurna and Tasmota lately. Both support POW, but there is no binary files.

Espurna is also built on PlatformIO, and i could not get a reliable build from it.
There is just too many options, and a pain to get it all right.

Tasmota is built on normal Arduino, and was easy to compile. But it has much less features than ESPEasy.

It would be great if ESPEasy could live on, I have had some plans to add support for Sonoff SC, i had a look at the code in Espurna, and it seems doable.

Jon-Magne Johansen

psy0rz
Normal user

#9 Post by psy0rz » 14 Feb 2017, 01:27

You couldn't get it installed, or you couldn't get the project to build in platformio?

Normally the trick is getting the right platformio.ini file for the correct board. I already provide a "correct" one. (not sure its really correct yet, have to figure out minimum flash size i guess)

I'm in no way proposing to replace the Arduino GUI with platformio: Both options can co-exists and we dont have to change anything in the ESPeasy repository. (ESPeasy-platformio is just a "wrapper" around the normal repository, pointing to the correct libraries, with the correct platformio structure and config)

Also: offcourse we should keep releasing binaries. Maybe even more than one type, like i said before. (small versions with less plugins and bigger versions with most testing-plugins)

Maybe we could even use Travis to generate automated builds after every commit.

Edwin

psy0rz
Normal user

#10 Post by psy0rz » 14 Feb 2017, 01:37

I now thoroughly reviewed the framework base and a bunch of pull requests.

I dont see any problem in being able to moving the project forward as well as making a bunch of improvements in the whole development cycle:

- faster intergrating of playground plugins: mark them as TESTING in the webgui and make compiling optional.
- automated builds via Travis
- provide multiple binaries: small (<512k), normal and large (with testing plugins)
- using githubs issue tracker for features and bugs
- every plugin should have a link to the github issue tracker (or somewhere else) to report bugs. (and maybe also a link to provide feedback if the plugin has been working correctly for a while)

Sounds good?

Edwin

toffel969
Normal user

#11 Post by toffel969 » 14 Feb 2017, 07:57

psy0rz wrote:I now thoroughly reviewed the framework base and a bunch of pull requests.

I dont see any problem in being able to moving the project forward as well as making a bunch of improvements in the whole development cycle:

- faster intergrating of playground plugins: mark them as TESTING in the webgui and make compiling optional.
- provide multiple binaries: small (<512k), normal and large (with testing plugins)
- every plugin should have a link to the github issue tracker (or somewhere else) to report bugs. (and maybe also a link to provide feedback if the plugin has been working correctly for a while)

Sounds good?

Edwin
hi, i think its great that you can step in to avoid stalling the project. i can help with testing and supporting on the forum, but my programming skills are nowhere good enough to write code for espeasy
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

psy0rz
Normal user

#12 Post by psy0rz » 14 Feb 2017, 09:46

Very nice, testing and feedback is one of the most important things towards getting stable releases.

Justblair
Normal user

#13 Post by Justblair » 14 Feb 2017, 09:57

I am pleased that someone who looks like they can do the project justice has taken an interest.

I have contributed to the Espurna Sonoff SC build, adding RGB to it. Can I make a suggestion?

The Arduino code for the Espurna SC uses AT+commands to control it. It would be nice to share the code for the Arduino portion between the two projects. That way one could benefit the other.

paxi
Normal user

#14 Post by paxi » 14 Feb 2017, 11:20

psy0rz wrote:I now thoroughly reviewed the framework base and a bunch of pull requests.

Sounds good?

Edwin
Hi Edwin!

Sounds indeed great! Are you in contact with martinus (he asked for PM) about this suject?

Cheers

psy0rz
Normal user

#15 Post by psy0rz » 14 Feb 2017, 12:52

I tried to send a PM but it stays in the Outbox (maybe his box is full). I also sent him an email yesterday.

So no contact yet.

Shardan
Normal user

#16 Post by Shardan » 14 Feb 2017, 13:52

I'd really like to support this project, it is the most evolved project i know in this area.

Sadly my programming knowledge is completely outdated to 30 year old BASIC and FORTRAN programming..

But if i can help in any way, documenting or such, i will do.

This project is worth it.

Shardan
Regards
Shardan

JR01
Normal user

#17 Post by JR01 » 14 Feb 2017, 20:22

Thank you Edwin for stepping in!!!

And Jon, re: "It would be great if ESPEasy could live on"

+1
-----------
IOTPLAY. Tinkerer, my projects are @ http://GitHub.com/IoTPlay, and blog https://iotplay.org. Using RPi, Node-Red, ESP8266 to prove Industry 4.0 concepts.

psy0rz
Normal user

#18 Post by psy0rz » 14 Feb 2017, 21:53

Could someone ping martinus?

NietGiftig
Normal user

#19 Post by NietGiftig » 14 Feb 2017, 23:08

psy0rz wrote:Could someone ping martinus?
Maybe via an other team admin?
memberlist.php?mode=team

psy0rz
Normal user

#20 Post by psy0rz » 15 Feb 2017, 00:35

Currently i'm setting up Travis to automaticly compile every commit, and automaticly create a firmware.bin release when i tag a commit.

Its here: https://travis-ci.org/psy0rz/ESPEasy-platformio

Tagged version will be released here: https://github.com/psy0rz/ESPEasy-platformio/releases

Still working on it: need to fix it so the tag and commit will be compiled into the firmware as well.

Edwin

psy0rz
Normal user

#21 Post by psy0rz » 15 Feb 2017, 19:04

Ok i've pretty much have things up and running.

Have a look at the README over here to see whats going on: https://github.com/psy0rz/ESPEasy/blob/master/README.md

I've already merged a pull request: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/pull/96

If you guys want to test to see if everything is working like you would expect, that would be great.

Please let me know what you think,
Edwin

psy0rz
Normal user

#22 Post by psy0rz » 16 Feb 2017, 11:49

I have contact with Martinus and access to the main repository. Fortunately he will stay involved with the project, but currently doesn't have the time to do any real coding. So he'll be on the background (for now).

I'll keep you posted.

paxi
Normal user

#23 Post by paxi » 16 Feb 2017, 12:21

Wow, thats really great news!

ManS-H
Normal user

#24 Post by ManS-H » 16 Feb 2017, 12:45

psy0rz wrote:I have contact with Martinus and access to the main repository. Fortunately he will stay involved with the project, but currently doesn't have the time to do any real coding. So he'll be on the background (for now).

I'll keep you posted.
Good to hear you will take over the work of Martinus, and i wish yo a lot of success.

mrwee
Normal user

#25 Post by mrwee » 16 Feb 2017, 15:44

psy0rz wrote:I have contact with Martinus and access to the main repository. Fortunately he will stay involved with the project, but currently doesn't have the time to do any real coding. So he'll be on the background (for now).

I'll keep you posted.
Hi,

Your efforts are very appreciated, it would be so sad if the project were to die, it's simply too good for that :D

JustmeNL
Normal user

#26 Post by JustmeNL » 17 Feb 2017, 14:28

Hi,

I'm not a very experienced programmer but get by, I would like to help maintain the wiki.

JR01
Normal user

#27 Post by JR01 » 17 Feb 2017, 15:25

:D
-----------
IOTPLAY. Tinkerer, my projects are @ http://GitHub.com/IoTPlay, and blog https://iotplay.org. Using RPi, Node-Red, ESP8266 to prove Industry 4.0 concepts.

psy0rz
Normal user

#28 Post by psy0rz » 17 Feb 2017, 16:59

JustmeNL wrote:Hi,

I'm not a very experienced programmer but get by, I would like to help maintain the wiki.
Awesome! it also would be nice if you could check if all the plugins have a wiki page. for the plugins that dont have one (especially the playground ones i expect), you could perhaps search for info on the forum and link the wiki page to it. (or even create a wiki page for it, if the info is complete)

Edwin

matzej
New user

#29 Post by matzej » 18 Feb 2017, 15:19

Hallo Leute,

really great news to see this project going on.
Is there a place where i / we can report bugs and feature request?

regards Matze

psy0rz
Normal user

#30 Post by psy0rz » 18 Feb 2017, 17:24

Hi,

I asked Martinus to enable the github issue tracker. Until that time, you can use the temporary issue tracker here: https://github.com/psy0rz/ESPEasy/issues

vorsselmansP
Normal user

#31 Post by vorsselmansP » 24 Feb 2017, 10:24

Good Job Psy

How far are you in gettting all the permissions for the Forum and Wiki and Github?

I would gladly help where i can in supporting this project. I just recently discovered it and it has everthing to get up and running with the ESP module

Maybe we can start a thread for all the supporters that want to help out and divide some tasks
running Domoticz on a raspberry pi.
mi-light on domoticz
basic knowledge in electronics
Currently developing in python

Shardan
Normal user

#32 Post by Shardan » 24 Feb 2017, 10:58

Same from me.

As I don't have actual programming knowledge my focus would be
on hardware, and Wiki. As i'm a native German speaker a German
translation of the wiki pages would be possible too.

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

BertB
Normal user

#33 Post by BertB » 25 Feb 2017, 14:43

Hi all,
Edwin, thanks for stepping in.
I am also available for testing and revieuwing the wiki.
Furthermore I would like to continue to enhance my programming skills by making prototypes of plugins. Is that still possible in the new setup?

Some other question. How do the relases in ESPEasy-platformio relate to those mentioned in ESPEasy?
And, can you help me understanding the Platdormio way of live in a more low level language?

Thanks

JR01
Normal user

#34 Post by JR01 » 25 Feb 2017, 22:50

And, can you help me understanding the Platdormio way of live in a more low level language?
+1
-----------

psy0rz
Normal user

#35 Post by psy0rz » 25 Feb 2017, 23:18

I will try to explain all those things on the wiki, when i'm ready with the basics of the new repostirories.

Offcourse developing plugins will stay possible. Getting plugins into the final release will be easier from now on: A plugin can be in stable, testing or development mode. We release firmware for each of those plugin sets. So people can chose if they just want the stable plugins or more.

Meanwhile i've uploaded a new update with a few improvements. Most notably the zip file has the same layout as people where used to with Martinus.

Its here: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEas ... 2.0.0-dev2

Edwin

BertB
Normal user

#36 Post by BertB » 26 Feb 2017, 15:42

Thanks a lot. Can't wait to learn more.

psy0rz
Normal user

#37 Post by psy0rz » 03 Mar 2017, 00:11

Ok i just finshed a lot of tutorials, explaining everything about platformio and github.

They are at the bottom of this page: http://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index ... evelopment

psy0rz
Normal user

#38 Post by psy0rz » 15 Mar 2017, 01:54

In the meanwhile i also fixed building in Arduino IDE again and updated the wiki.

Use at least v2.0.0-dev7 and the changes i made here: https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... are_Upload

CoolWombat
Normal user

#39 Post by CoolWombat » 25 Mar 2017, 06:27

Hey all

First of all, thanks to Edwin for jumping in. We sure need to keep this going as it has been such a fun platform to play with and use. I've been using this with OpenHAB for quite a while now, building addons and automating a lot of the stuff at home like my garage door, lights, security system, pool, spa etc just to name a few.

Like most of the members, I'm not a big time programmer, but can definitely help with testing, debugging and managing wiki. Do let me know know how I can help.

Cheers!
Benny