ESP Conrol Brinks WTW

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

sincze
Normal user

ESP Conrol Brinks WTW

#1 Post by sincze » 19 Aug 2018, 13:24

As you can see with the amount of posts in this forum I just started using ESPEasy. :D .
I have to admit I've created some nice things already. This time for my neighbour he wanted to control his Renovent HR Medium/Large - Brink Climate Systems.
In his house there is only 1 switch in the Kitchen, so if you want to turn it on in the bathroom... your are out of luck. To have it turn on by iteself if the humidity is to high.. That would be ideal.

I've figured out the solution some time ago using Mysensors. But for him I wanted to create a small and easy solution.
https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/7180/ ... te-systems

This is what I started with:

Basically you need WEMOS D1 mini, combo board and a relais for ESPEasy to make it work.
The relais (if enabled) should 'connect' the wires to switch on WTW Speed 3. If disabled the WTW will run at is default speed of 1.

As it needed to be cheap... You can figure out where the housing came from..
Housing
Housing
renovent-esp.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Within the rules you need: (So you can control the relais via HTTP)

Code: Select all

on wtw_on do
    gpio,5,1
endon

on wtw_off do
    gpio,5,0
endon
The relais can be controlled by:

Can be controlled by:
http://<your_ip_here>/control?cmd=event,wtw_Off
http://<your_ip_here>/control?cmd=event,wtw_On
Keep in mind that GPIO 5 is default connected to SCL within ESPEasy so you might have to free that one up from within menu 'ESPEasy -> Hardware'.

Next stop will be the filter indicator.

I have that working in domoticz. However it will need some additional hardware to make it work with ESPEasy. (If the filter is full it will generate 24v... so you'll have to bring that down to 3,3v as an input for the ESP to read it as a digital 1).

ESPHA
Normal user

Re: ESP Conrol Brinks WTW

#2 Post by ESPHA » 13 Jan 2021, 13:52

Thank you for the inspiration sincze! I have made my own iteration based on yours for a Brink renovent 300/400 excellent, ESP8266 and home assistant integration. I will post some snippets, mainly because the color coding was somewhat confusing as many wires have different colors than yours.

I used an RJ12 cable and splitter so that my Brink RF transmitter can stay in place and also copied your idea for the filter indicator.
RJ12.JPG
RJ12.JPG (9.98 KiB) Viewed 95 times
The RJ12 pinout is as follows (see p. 28 in the installation guide https://www.brinkclimatesystems.nl/docu ... 054-en.pdf)
Pin 1: 24V (not connected but could theoretically be used as a power supply)
Pin 2: GND
Pin 3: Position 0/sleep mode (not connected in my case
Pin 4: position 2, to enable connect to ground with relay (~13 V to ground)
Pin 5: position 3, to enable connect to ground with relay (~13V to ground)
Pin 6: Filter indicator (gives off 24V to GND when filter needs cleaning/replacement).

Note that:
- the Brink defaults to position 1 and that it is capable of handling two inputs simultaneously as it is made to handle multiple switches (e.g. 2 RF modules). Nevertheless I 'interlocked' both relays in ESPhome.
- I'm not yet sure what's current is drawn if the filter indicator is on. Might need a heat sink for the voltage regulator.
- I connected a 5V microUSB power supply to my ESP8266 in order to supply the necessary 5V to the relays.

My wiring:
Wiring.JPG
Wiring.JPG (76.34 KiB) Viewed 72 times
In ESPhome I configured it as follows:

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    name: "position 3"
    id: relay1
    pin: D7
    interlock: [relay2]
    name: "position 2"
    id: relay2
    pin: D8
    interlock: [relay1]
  - platform: template
    name: "position1"
    id: "position1"
    turn_on_action: 
     - switch.turn_off: relay1
     - switch.turn_off: relay2
     - switch.turn_off: position1

binary_sensor:
    device_class: problem
    pin: D6
    name: "Brink renovent filter indicator"
In home assistant I used this blueprint (https://community.home-assistant.io/t/t ... ine/255999) to automatically switch the fan to position3 based on the bathroom humidity.

Some (messy) pictures are included of the device and HA lovelace view.
20210113_120930.jpg
20210113_120930.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 95 times
20210113_121046.jpg
20210113_121046.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 94 times
HAbrink.JPG
HAbrink.JPG (19.96 KiB) Viewed 90 times

_Cyber_
Normal user

#3 Post by _Cyber_ » 14 Jan 2021, 22:17

here is another solution for brink units:

I have a wemos d1 with a dht22 in bathroom. it measures on 5 minutes basis the humidity and does a GET request to a raspberry.

this raspberry has a ebus connection to the brink unit and sets via ebusd the fan speed of stand 1 dynamically between 50m³/h and the configured maximum os stand 1 on basis of the measured humidity between 50% and 100%.

if someone is interested I can post php code of the relevant parts. :-)

ESPHA
Normal user

#4 Post by ESPHA » 15 Jan 2021, 15:37

_Cyber_ wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 22:17 here is another solution for brink units:

I have a wemos d1 with a dht22 in bathroom. it measures on 5 minutes basis the humidity and does a GET request to a raspberry.

this raspberry has a ebus connection to the brink unit and sets via ebusd the fan speed of stand 1 dynamically between 50m³/h and the configured maximum os stand 1 on basis of the measured humidity between 50% and 100%.

if someone is interested I can post php code of the relevant parts. :-)
Very interested yes. Also how did you make the ebusd connection? And how have you integrated the system? What were the costs? The RJ12 solution benefits from low cost (~15 eu including ESP module) and easy to connect.