Domoticz Dimmer and how to setup

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

casi99
Normal user

Domoticz Dimmer and how to setup

#1 Post by casi99 » 26 Oct 2015, 20:53

Hallo all,
I have a Problem to set up domoticz for dimming.

I want to use the PWM from ESP easy to dimm a LED.

How can this be done via domoticz? I have created a Dimmer in domo but i can Not hand over the value for the http String. ( also Not new calculated value which fit the 1024 Max).

Can anybody help me?

Br
Carsten
2xESP8266 Olimex dev. board for testing
5xESP8266-01 for dimmer, switches, relays
2xESP8266-12E for relays and dimmer

iMars
New user

Re: Domoticz Dimmer and how to setup

#2 Post by iMars » 09 Dec 2015, 23:44

As far as I know a dummy dimmer device (type ac) has only 16 steps. With lua script you can detect changes and send that with an url.

That is how I use it with my moodlight.

casi99
Normal user

#3 Post by casi99 » 10 Dec 2015, 10:27

Hi,
thanks for the info.
Can you please provide the lua script?
I have no idea how to do it.

br
Carsten
2xESP8266 Olimex dev. board for testing
5xESP8266-01 for dimmer, switches, relays
2xESP8266-12E for relays and dimmer

iMars
New user

#4 Post by iMars » 10 Dec 2015, 11:28

Code: Select all

pi@domoticz:~/domoticz/scripts/lua$ cat script_device_MoodLight.lua 
commandArray = {}
IP = 'x.x.x.x'
Port = '19444'
DomValue = 0
DomDevice = 'MoodLight'
DomR = 255
DomG = 31
DomB = 0
for i, v in pairs(devicechanged) do
  if (i == DomDevice) then
    if(v == 'Off' ) then
      DomValue = 0
    elseif(v == 'On') then
      DomValue = 16
    else
      DomValue = otherdevices_svalues[DomDevice]
    end
    DomR = math.ceil(DomValue / 16 * DomR)
    DomG = math.ceil(DomValue / 16 * DomG)
    DomB = math.ceil(DomValue / 16 * DomB)
    runcommand = "echo  '{ \"color\": [" .. DomR .. "," .. DomG .. "," .. DomB .. "], \"command\": \"color\", \" priority\": 1 }' | nc " .. (IP) .. " " .. (Port) .. " ";
    print (runcommand);
    os.execute(runcommand);
  end
end
return commandArray
pi@domoticz:~/domoticz/scripts/lua$ 
The dimmer is a virtual dummy device, type dimmer (AC type).
Unfortunately 16 steps (why not more?).

This script has a predefined color, and the dimmer can dim this color (the colorpicker isn't working in virtual dummy rgb dimmer :x )

Rattle
New user

#5 Post by Rattle » 11 Dec 2015, 22:41

It's amazing for me how people from different corners of the world are trying to solve same problems. But back on topic, which was very interesting for me because I was looking for same thing.
Anyway, I solved somehow the puzzle, although I believe there is some bug with Domoticz, or my solution is weird :lol: . It took me a while to come to a result...so there it is:

1. Create a hardware dummy in Setup/Hardware. I named mine 'Virtual' but any name will do. If you already have one, you can use it and skip this step.
2. In "Switches" tab create a manual switch(see button). Let's name it "PWM_LED", assign it to 'Virtual' hardware, make it a dimmer switch type and type LightwaveRF(this has 32 steps).
3. Press the dim bar to get any value.
4. Go to Setup/Devices and observe that 2 devices are there, one having the name 'PWM_LED' and the other without a name but having some percentages in 'Data' column.
5. Press the green arrow on the nameless one (Add LIght/Switch) and name it for example "PWM_LED_switch".Then change the other "PWM_LED" device to "unused" with the blue arrow. Observe carefully these names because they will be needed later.
6. Go back to Switches and edit the new created switch - initially is a On/Off, change it to Dimmer.
7. in folder domoticz/scripts/lua create a new file named "script_device_PWM_LED.lua" with following code (note the difference in DomDevice):

commandArray = {}
DomDevice = 'PWM_LED_switch';
IP = 'xx.xx.xx.xx';
PIN = "xx";
if devicechanged[DomDevice] then
   if(devicechanged[DomDevice]=='Off') then 
     DomValue = 0;
   else
     DomValue = otherdevices_svalues[DomDevice];   
	CalcValue = (DomValue-1) * 33;
   end
   if CalcValue==nil then CalcValue=0 end
   runcommand = "curl 'http://" .. IP .. "/control?cmd=PWM,"  ..PIN.. "," .. CalcValue .. "'";
   os.execute(runcommand);
   print("PWM value= "..CalcValue);
end
return commandArray
Replace the x-es with your values.
And thats it, it works! Tested about a half an hour ago.
Note: this is functional on a Linux installation of Domoticz, with ESPEasy firmware. For Windows it may be slightly different, specially for the curl commands.

I'm sure this is not the best way and probably in the future this may change, and even the code may be improved.
As I mentioned above, the LightwaveRF type has 32 steps, and probably using this method(one script improved with the 'pairs' snippet) one can add some more switches pertaining to the same initial device (or not) and using individually 3 dimmers to change the RGB values of one same device, hence changing the colors AND the intensity of the related RGB led/strip.

mkotek
Normal user

#6 Post by mkotek » 15 Dec 2015, 23:22

There is one problem with dimmer I cannot solve.
When setting dimmer to Off, all works fine.
When setting dimmer to a specific value, all works fine.
But when setting dimmer to On, the current value of DomValue is not retrieved and dimmer does not turn on. One needs to change the percentage in order to set the light to specific value.

I guess, the code should involve writing the current value to user variable and retrieve it from there, but DMZ knows the value, as sthe slider is still showing this value, even though the label says On after setting to On and not the percentage.
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

iMars
New user

#7 Post by iMars » 16 Dec 2015, 18:56

mkotek wrote:There is one problem with dimmer I cannot solve.
When setting dimmer to Off, all works fine.
When setting dimmer to a specific value, all works fine.
But when setting dimmer to On, the current value of DomValue is not retrieved and dimmer does not turn on. One needs to change the percentage in order to set the light to specific value.

I guess, the code should involve writing the current value to user variable and retrieve it from there, but DMZ knows the value, as sthe slider is still showing this value, even though the label says On after setting to On and not the percentage.
What type of dimmer do you use? I use type "Lightning 2" subtype "AC".
With my earlier post script I collect the value "On" and set it to value "16".

if (i == DomDevice) then
    if(v == 'Off' ) then
      DomValue = 0
    elseif(v == 'On') then
      DomValue = 16
    else
    end

mkotek
Normal user

#8 Post by mkotek » 16 Dec 2015, 19:35

iMars wrote: What type of dimmer do you use? I use type "Lightning 2" subtype "AC".

if (i == DomDevice) then
    if(v == 'Off' ) then
      DomValue = 0
    elseif(v == 'On') then
      DomValue = 16
    else
    end
I am using LightwaveRF, but this has nothing to do with my problem. You are setting the value explicite to 16. What I am having issue with is ability to restore value set when the light has been set to off. Domoticz remembers it as the slider stays there, but svalues is nil.
I would like to restore previous value when setting to on.
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

iMars
New user

#9 Post by iMars » 16 Dec 2015, 22:33

mkotek wrote:
iMars wrote: What type of dimmer do you use? I use type "Lightning 2" subtype "AC".

if (i == DomDevice) then
    if(v == 'Off' ) then
      DomValue = 0
    elseif(v == 'On') then
      DomValue = 16
    else
    end
I am using LightwaveRF, but this has nothing to do with my problem. You are setting the value explicite to 16. What I am having issue with is ability to restore value set when the light has been set to off. Domoticz remembers it as the slider stays there, but svalues is nil.
Try another dimmer... I had the same issue! The LightwaveRF dimmer is 32 steps, and the one I use is 16 steps... The LightwaveRF didn't work, now I'm using the Lightning 2 dimmer type AC and that works ;)

mkotek
Normal user

#10 Post by mkotek » 16 Dec 2015, 23:01

iMars wrote:
mkotek wrote:

if (i == DomDevice) then
    if(v == 'Off' ) then
      DomValue = 0
    elseif(v == 'On') then
      DomValue = 16
    else
    end
Try another dimmer... I had the same issue! The LightwaveRF dimmer is 32 steps, and the one I use is 16 steps... The LightwaveRF didn't work, now I'm using the Lightning 2 dimmer type AC and that works ;)
But it works fine in the scenario you are having, ie. when On value is set to a constant value. I am pretty sure, if you remove the DomValue=16 from your script, it will fail just like in the script I am using - device will be turned on, but with value of 0. The whole issue is remembering the previously set level of dimming and restoring it, not just set it to permanent value.

Rattle
New user

#11 Post by Rattle » 17 Dec 2015, 10:21

mkotek wrote: I guess, the code should involve writing the current value to user variable and retrieve it from there, but DMZ knows the value, as the slider is still showing this value, even though the label says On after setting to On and not the percentage.
I think you exposed yet another weakness of Domoticz, so maybe in the future this will be solved. I've noticed the same behavior but IMO is not a critical issue.

axello
New user

#12 Post by axello » 02 May 2017, 13:44

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately in 2017 we still need a script to use the dimmer values.

But there is no need to create two devices. What I did was :
1. Create a virtual switch
2. Change it into a dimmer
3. Give it a name, e.g. "LED2_Dimmer"
4. Create the LUA script with the dimmer name appended: "script_device_LED2_Dimmer.lua"

I don't see any of the 16 or 32 steps other people mention. In my log I see the values 0 - 100, which the script translates to 0 - 1023 to feed to my ESPEasy based LED light from itead. In the domoticz log I see:

2017-04-02 13:38:38.577  LUA: DomValue=93, PWM value= 951.39

The only nuisance is that I have not found a way yet to remember the last value of the dimmer (when you click on the light icon to switch it off, the dimmer value stays at e.g. 75%. Ideally when you click the light icon again, the light should turn on at 75%.
I can probably do that using variables, but why doesn't the dimmer publish that value somewhere? It is needed to update the web page, no?

trackerj
Normal user

#13 Post by trackerj » 03 May 2017, 08:41

If you follow this Dimmer setup tutorial you will find also a simple way to save and restore your Dimming values:

- Part 1: ESPEasy Firmware setup
- Part 2: Domoticz configuration ( RaspberryPi version ). For Windows Domoticz installation look HERE.

Basically you need to have a declared variable in Domoticz where to save the dimming value and restore it from there based on the corresponding event.

If you don't want to see full tutorial (recommended) you can go directly here for a direct answer to your question:
https://youtu.be/_cwes-c_UzY?t=534
www.esp8266-projects.com - ESP8266 Projects and many more!
MPDMv4 Universal AC Dimmer is available also on TINDIE Store: https://www.tindie.com/stores/nEXT_EVO1/

alexsahka
New user

#14 Post by alexsahka » 20 Nov 2017, 06:36

How about using Light plugin 123 https://github.com/ddtlabs/ESPEasy-Plug ... LIGHTS.ino
You can control up to 5 outputs with 1024 steps, that is what I using for my LED light strips.

Anno
New user

#15 Post by Anno » 10 Jan 2022, 12:32

Some strange behaviour,

When i use the pwm command it is working fine but when i use PCAPWM, it will not work:

Working:
commandArray = {}
DomDevice = 'dimmer esptest';
IP = 'xx.xx.xx.xx';
PIN = "xx";
DomValue = 0;
else
CalcValue = (DomValue-1) * 13;
end
runcommand = "curl 'http://" .. IP .. "/control?cmd=PWM," ..PIN.. "," .. CalcValue .. "'";
os.execute(runcommand);
end
return commandArray

Not working:

commandArray = {}
DomDevice = 'dimmer esptest';
IP = 'xx.xx.xx.xx';
PIN = "xx";
DomValue = 0;
else
CalcValue = (DomValue-1) * 33;
end
runcommand = "curl 'http://" .. IP .. "/control?cmd=PCAPWM," ..PIN.. "," .. CalcValue .. "'";
os.execute(runcommand);
end
return commandArray

Ath
Normal user

#16 Post by Ath » 10 Jan 2022, 12:51

Anno wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:32 When i use the pwm command it is working fine but when i use PCAPWM, it will not work:
Please provide some more details about your hardware setup on ESPEasy, f.e. what devices are connected and configured.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Anno
New user

#17 Post by Anno » 13 Jan 2022, 10:22

Ath wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:51
Anno wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:32 When i use the pwm command it is working fine but when i use PCAPWM, it will not work:
Please provide some more details about your hardware setup on ESPEasy, f.e. what devices are connected and configured.
What do you mean, explain some more, why do you want to know more about the hardware and devices?

Ath
Normal user

#18 Post by Ath » 13 Jan 2022, 11:12

Anno wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 10:22 What do you mean, explain some more, why do you want to know more about the hardware and devices?
Well, you need to have a PCA9685 connected, configured and enabled to be able to use the PCAPWM command, as it is part of that plugin. You can't use that command without these prerequisites.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Anno
New user

#19 Post by Anno » 13 Jan 2022, 17:22

Ath wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:12
Anno wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 10:22 What do you mean, explain some more, why do you want to know more about the hardware and devices?
Well, you need to have a PCA9685 connected, configured and enabled to be able to use the PCAPWM command, as it is part of that plugin. You can't use that command without these prerequisites.
Ow, but of course i have a PCA9685 working and all, i am not stupid you see.....!!!

Ath
Normal user

#20 Post by Ath » 13 Jan 2022, 22:01

Anno wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 17:22 Ow, but of course i have a PCA9685 working and all, i am not stupid you see.....!!!
Hmm, my crystal ball was out of service today, so I didn't get any information passed on from yea side :|
The level and knowledge of users, and their questions, on this forum ranges from absolute novices to seasoned professionals. Without further information there is no way of knowing what position in that scale you are at. And there is a saying about assumptions: they are wrong by default.

Before trying to think about what is going on here, still more information is needed:
Generic stuff:
- What type of ESP is used, ESP8266 or ESP32?
- What release of ESPEasy is installed on the ESP?, please provide the name of the .bin file you installed, or get it from the Info page.
- What devices/sensors are connected to the ESP?, and how are they configured?
Your specific situation:
- What is shown in the serial log when sending these commands? (Log level set to INFO or DEBUG)
- What is working? Will <taskname>.gpio,<port>,1 switch the specified port to on/high? and off/low when setting to 0?
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Anno
New user

#21 Post by Anno » 14 Jan 2022, 16:46

Ath wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 22:01
Anno wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 17:22 Ow, but of course i have a PCA9685 working and all, i am not stupid you see.....!!!
Hmm, my crystal ball was out of service today, so I didn't get any information passed on from yea side :|
The level and knowledge of users, and their questions, on this forum ranges from absolute novices to seasoned professionals. Without further information there is no way of knowing what position in that scale you are at. And there is a saying about assumptions: they are wrong by default.

Before trying to think about what is going on here, still more information is needed:
Generic stuff:
- What release of ESPEasy is installed on the ESP?, please provide the name of the .bin file you installed, or get it from the Info page.
Your specific situation:
- What is shown in the serial log when sending these commands? (Log level set to INFO or DEBUG)
- What is working? Will <taskname>.gpio,<port>,1 switch the specified port to on/high? and off/low when setting to 0?
I did give all the information needid. It is a problem with the http command from dvent, see my post and that domoticz send it to espeasy.

As for you question. I am not stupid does mean, that everything else is working. So you questions do not matter. It is not a problem that will be differend between other esp's, same for the release versions (exept older than 2020). There is no conflict problem, so why do you need to know if there are other sensors connected to the esp??

A normal question is indeed what is the domoticz log showning, the pwm value as in dvscript, i need to disapoint you, no errors.
I did already answered you last question, see my first post. The PWM command is working fine, only the PCAPWM not, exept the off/0 signal.

Anno
New user

#22 Post by Anno » 14 Jan 2022, 16:58

Anno wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 16:46
Ath wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 22:01

Generic stuff:
Your specific situation:
I did give all the information needid. It is a problem with the http command from dvent, see my post and that domoticz send it to espeasy.

As for you question. I am not stupid does mean, that everything else is working. So you questions do not matter. It is not a problem that will be differend between other esp's, same for the release versions (exept older than 2020). There is no conflict problem, so why do you need to know if there are other sensors connected to the esp??

A normal question is indeed what is the domoticz log showning, the pwm value as in dvscript, i need to disapoint you, no errors.
I did already answered you last question, see my first post. The PWM command is working fine, only the PCAPWM not, exept the off/0 signal.
Aangezien niemand hier dus enige vorm van kennis heeft, raar. Maar het andwoord geven, zo simpel. Alleen is er geen informatie te vinden over hoe de waarde van domoticz zonder . te geven: Command unknown: PCAPWM,6,2178.0

Deze opdracht hierboven geeft een waarde xxx.0 die punt nul is het probleem. Met PWM geeft de punt nul geen problemen meer bij pcapwm dus wel.

Als jullie nou anders reageerde hoefde deze troep allemaal niet. en of als je het gewoon zelf even geprobeerd had, had je!! dat snelller kunnen vinden dan ik.

TD-er
Core team member

#23 Post by TD-er » 14 Jan 2022, 19:10

Klinkt wel als een bug.
Je zou ook kunnen kijken of formattering werkt als work-around om die . weg te laten? (zolang de bug nog niet gefixt is)
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... red-values

Heb nog wel even getwijfeld of ik überhaupt wilde antwoorden, want de toon en houding staat mij nogal tegen.

Anno
New user

#24 Post by Anno » 15 Jan 2022, 01:03

TD-er wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 19:10 Klinkt wel als een bug.
Je zou ook kunnen kijken of formattering werkt als work-around om die . weg te laten? (zolang de bug nog niet gefixt is)
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... red-values

Heb nog wel even getwijfeld of ik überhaupt wilde antwoorden, want de toon en houding staat mij nogal tegen.
Ik geef alleen een toon terug. Iniedergeval jullie hebben veel meer kaas gegeten van codering dan ik. Het is ook een fiet dat jullie de software maken, ik ben alleen een groot gebruiker, daarnaast probeer ik nieuwe ideeën uit binnen de lijnen die jullie maken. Verder heb ik veel respect voor de software die jullie maken, het is erg veel en zit enorm ingewikkeld in elkaar, ik ben op moment bezig om espeasy te gebruiken voor een vloerverwarmingsinstallatie met zo'n 40 groepen.

Ik weet zeker dat ik in mijn eerste post duidelijk genoeg was. Om dan vervolgens een ..... antwoord te krijgen die de spijker totaal mis slaat kan ik jammergenoeg niets aan doen.

En ja gijs, het is inderdaad een bug, zoveel is mij nu duidelijk geworden. Aangezien de esp wel bij pwm command een punt accepteerd maar dit niet doet bij pcapwm.

TD-er
Core team member

#25 Post by TD-er » 15 Jan 2022, 10:58

Anno wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 01:03 [...]
En ja gijs, het is inderdaad een bug, zoveel is mij nu duidelijk geworden. Aangezien de esp wel bij pwm command een punt accepteerd maar dit niet doet bij pcapwm.
En bijna gefixt ook, Zie: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/pull/3915