Confirmation that data instructions were executed

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

MJM
New user

Confirmation that data instructions were executed

#1 Post by MJM » 13 Feb 2017, 22:33

When I switch a light, garage door etc remotely with an App with a signal over a home WiFi to an ESP13 shield on an Arduino Uno I really would like to see confirmation that the signal was received and executed by the Arduino. A few words in a textbox on my cell phone is what I am after.

To do this I want to display a line of text transmitted by the Arduino Uno with an ESP13 shield (Settings: ESP8233-ESP13 Settings for Project 3.bmp) to a textbox on an Android cellphone. The Arduino sketch that produces the text is attached (ESP13_ESP8266_Project_3_sketch_v6_to_Android.ino). With the App TCP/UDP Test Tool I can see that the data is transmitted and received properly (PrtScr_2017-02-11_193339.jpg). When I connect my browser to the ESP13 the data appear too (Typical Browser output for Project 3.bmp), except the data only start to appear after a long delay, such as half an hour (Why? any ideas?).

To put the data in a textbox on my Android I want to use an App developed with MIT's App Inventor 2 program. To do this I used the blocks and designer code (App Inventor Blocks.bmp, App Inventor Designer.bmp, Get_Text_FROM_Arduino.aia). I could not get it to work and I could not find an example that shows how. What changes do I need to make it work?

Thanks.
Attachments
App Inventor Designer.jpg
App Inventor Designer.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
App Inventor Blocks.jpg
App Inventor Blocks.jpg (211.11 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Typical Browser output for Project 3.jpg
Typical Browser output for Project 3.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
TCP Client screen.jpg
TCP Client screen.jpg (218.87 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
ESP8233-ESP13 Settings for Project 3.jpg
ESP8233-ESP13 Settings for Project 3.jpg (149.52 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Confirmation of execution.zip
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 278 times

paxi
Normal user

Re: Confirmation that data instructions were executed

#2 Post by paxi » 14 Feb 2017, 11:08

It seems you don't use ESPEasy, so first off I'd say this is the wrong place to ask. ;)

Anyway, here's my very simple approach to get espeasy to interact with android:
From the scripting-app called "Automate" a http-get request triggering an event is sent to an esp-module running espeasy. The response comes immediatly in form of the string "OK". This string is written to a variable in automate and then displayed as a toast message but you can also throw a notification or a confirm dialog. Prior to the http request I use a ping decision block in automate to check if the esp is reachable.

Hope it helps. ;)

MJM
New user

#3 Post by MJM » 14 Feb 2017, 22:55

Thanks for your suggestion. You are right: I have not used ESP Easy, but I posted it here because I am trying to control something. I'll have some studying and digging to do to to try out your suggestion. It follows an totally different line of thought to obtain a solution. If I succeed I'll let you know.
But I continue hoping that there is a straightforward solution possible using the Arduino-App Inventor combination.

paxi
Normal user

#4 Post by paxi » 15 Feb 2017, 00:48

Don't hesitate to ask for assistance with automate, I use it a lot. ;)

Without knowing anything about the app inventor and minimal knowledge of object oriented programming I just noticed that you use two different "web" objects: webviewer1 and web1. Maybe the whole point is to use just one - if the .gotourl method of webviewer1 retrieves data I don't think the .gottext function of web1 will be triggered. :roll:

Edit: just had a quick glance at app inventor, looks very nice and worth digging deeper into - thanks for the pointer. :P

macuira
New user

#5 Post by macuira » 15 Feb 2017, 16:22

Hello, I have also worked with MIT AI2, you can use the "response code" and check for 200 response which is the "OK" response from the server.
Attached my working project, a garage door control usin an ESP-01, please change the attached file .zip to .aia so yo can import it on MIT AI2
Attachments
BlueLulo.zip
(232.09 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

MJM
New user

#6 Post by MJM » 16 Feb 2017, 22:58

Thanks for the example, I am going to study it in great detail to see what I can learn!

Kindest Regards,
MJM

Offshoreram
New user

#7 Post by Offshoreram » 07 Apr 2017, 13:27

Hi, I am looking for the textile designing tools here in Australia. Any help for me? Do you think with these software I can design the coverlets?
Buy lighting online in Australia for Top Brands.