Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Message
Author
Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#1 Post by Meek » 31 Oct 2017, 15:55

Hello tweakers, as a user of Domoticz for many years, I always had the intention to expand my home automation system, but never found sufficient time to actually do something with all the magnificent idea’s that we(tweakers) probably all share :).

So one time I thought, opportunities are rare and might never come, so i’ve changed my attitude to make time to what I’m passionate about -> automation/hacking/creating the future :)

So without further adue, first of the many steps, was to integrate all my switches to Domoticz. Simple idea, nevertheless, there were not suitable equipment/design switches available. To be honest, i was charmed of the design of some of the touch switches as you’ll see below.
Schakelaar.jpg
Schakelaar.jpg (1.48 KiB) Viewed 8469 times
So i’ve ordered a few to fiddle around with it and finally to suit it with an ESP8266 12-E variant in it with ESPEasy flashed on it for future expansions that I have in mind.

I found out that his internal PCB did not delivered sufficient energy to power up an ESP12-E module, so I’ve created a dirty PCB with and equip it with several components to power up and switch 230V.

I have now a “dirty working setup” to do some more testing.

Till now, the ESP is working pretty stable and and soon I will integrate the first “MEEK Switch” into my walls to do more testing in a real life environment.

In the meantime, I had several request to delivered such “MEEK switches” to my fellow tweakers.
So I’m now in process to have a neat and well integrated switches produced by manufacturing sites overseas, but this is a very hard & slow process.

In the meantime, I’m in process of making this a modular system so I can create small quantities for myself and for my friend.

But if there's enough animo, probably it’s something I can pursue to have them produced overseas in “large quantities”.

I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Herewith a view videos of the Meek Wifi Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhXnYgeJfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXZHxCzjdg

Regards,
Meek

LisaM
Normal user
Posts: 513
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 18:29

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#2 Post by LisaM » 31 Oct 2017, 16:44

What's the difference with this extremely cheap one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Way-O ... 78721.html ?

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#3 Post by ManS-H » 31 Oct 2017, 16:57

Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#4 Post by grovkillen » 31 Oct 2017, 17:14

ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true
Are these just the remote control? Do they have LEDs?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

LisaM
Normal user
Posts: 513
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 18:29

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#5 Post by LisaM » 31 Oct 2017, 17:25

ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true
But... this switch is not wifi/esp driven. It's using 433MHz, which sucks in reliability (it works 9 out of 10 times, but the 10th time is which counts).
Why would you buy a non-esp touch switch and then convert it to esp-driven when you can buy an esp-touch switch cheap of the shelf?

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#6 Post by grovkillen » 31 Oct 2017, 17:29

I just want a nice looking wall switch enclosure which is not a 220V relay which needs to be fitted into a hole in the wall. I don't use the 433-transmitter at all, just use the panel as a UI with a ESP behind. :roll:
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#7 Post by papperone » 31 Oct 2017, 18:14

As the ones on Aliexpress/eBay are not made/fitting in the standard wall hole in my country (Italy) I've at the moment a different home made solution (will post it in my showcase just if someone is interested).
Meanwhile I'm prototyping a complete module, based on ESP8266 of course, using TP229 and touch sensors, optional doughterboard with up to 4 relays, all nicely fitting into a standard wall hole box...
Unfortunately I'm in early stage and lack of time, as well I'm in parallel designing the enclosure to be printed with 3D printer; I know it will never look like an "industrial" device but I've the constraint of the module size and I'm sure it will be decently looking to pass the WAT (Wife Acceptance Tests :mrgreen: )...
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

LisaM
Normal user
Posts: 513
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 18:29

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#8 Post by LisaM » 31 Oct 2017, 20:01

papperone wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 18:14
As the ones on Aliexpress/eBay are not made/fitting in the standard wall hole in my country (Italy) I've at the moment a different home made solution (will post it in my showcase just if someone is interested).
Meanwhile I'm prototyping a complete module, based on ESP8266 of course, using TP229 and touch sensors, optional doughterboard with up to 4 relays, all nicely fitting into a standard wall hole box...
Unfortunately I'm in early stage and lack of time, as well I'm in parallel designing the enclosure to be printed with 3D printer; I know it will never look like an "industrial" device but I've the constraint of the module size and I'm sure it will be decently looking to pass the WAT (Wife Acceptance Tests :mrgreen: )...
Sounds simular to this: https://github.com/JanGoe/esp8266-wifi-relay
Or does it have a different size?
Pics? ;)

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#9 Post by ManS-H » 31 Oct 2017, 20:39

LisaM wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 17:25
ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true
But... this switch is not wifi/esp driven. It's using 433MHz, which sucks in reliability (it works 9 out of 10 times, but the 10th time is which counts).
Why would you buy a non-esp touch switch and then convert it to esp-driven when you can buy an esp-touch switch cheap of the shelf?
@ LisaM, i modified my table lamps with ESP01 modules. What i want is a kind of remote control so i don't need every time my cellphone to switched on/off the table lamps.

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#10 Post by papperone » 31 Oct 2017, 21:50

LisaM wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 20:01
papperone wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 18:14
As the ones on Aliexpress/eBay are not made/fitting in the standard wall hole in my country (Italy) I've at the moment a different home made solution (will post it in my showcase just if someone is interested).
Meanwhile I'm prototyping a complete module, based on ESP8266 of course, using TP229 and touch sensors, optional doughterboard with up to 4 relays, all nicely fitting into a standard wall hole box...
Unfortunately I'm in early stage and lack of time, as well I'm in parallel designing the enclosure to be printed with 3D printer; I know it will never look like an "industrial" device but I've the constraint of the module size and I'm sure it will be decently looking to pass the WAT (Wife Acceptance Tests :mrgreen: )...
Sounds simular to this: https://github.com/JanGoe/esp8266-wifi-relay
Or does it have a different size?
Pics? ;)
Nothing to do with that, I'm still into design mode, below the current PCB which is still very WIP :P
basically PIC1 is the PCB that willbe mounted in the front cover of the wall switch and it contains only the touch sensitive pads (3 of them)
pic1.PNG
pic1.PNG (61.44 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
while PIC2 is the second board which is connected on the back of previous one and it contains all the electronics (it's a bit too crowdy so I was thinking to even split it in 2 boards, one with just the logic (so you can use it alone) and a second one with the relays (if you woudl like to switch AC load directly)...
pic2.PNG
pic2.PNG (76.47 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
I should decide to print PCB one day to start prototyping... but still no time to complete the final board drawings... :(
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#11 Post by ManS-H » 31 Oct 2017, 22:18

grovkillen wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 17:14
ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true
Are these just the remote control? Do they have LEDs?

Yes, it's only a remote control. But what do you mean with "Do they have LEDs?"

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#12 Post by grovkillen » 01 Nov 2017, 06:05

Great (them being remotes).
ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 22:18
... But what do you mean with "Do they have LEDs?"
I mean, if I make these connect with a ESP I'd like to have LED lights indicating if the lights are active or inactive. Making it easy to know which switch to push. And at night a small shimmer makes them easy to see/find.

But as I understand from your response, these are just buttons and nothing else. Thus no LED lights?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#13 Post by ManS-H » 01 Nov 2017, 10:27

grovkillen wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 06:05
Great (them being remotes).
ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 22:18
... But what do you mean with "Do they have LEDs?"
I mean, if I make these connect with a ESP I'd like to have LED lights indicating if the lights are active or inactive. Making it easy to know which switch to push. And at night a small shimmer makes them easy to see/find.

But as I understand from your response, these are just buttons and nothing else. Thus no LED lights?
Nope, only when i pressed the button it lights up.

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#14 Post by grovkillen » 01 Nov 2017, 14:24

Aha, so it has some LEDs. Cool
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#15 Post by Meek » 01 Nov 2017, 18:18

LisaM wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:44
What's the difference with this extremely cheap one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Way-O ... 78721.html ?
Main difference is that it willl be fitted standard with an ESP12-E module (4MB) with ESPEasy 2.0 on it (please read on why).
The reason for this choise is that I have a modularity system in mind, that will makes the above a nessasity for the Meek switches.
So in the future, you'll be able to expand these switches with several modules like : temperature sensor, humidity, PIR, Microwave radar sensor, microphone (array for speech recognition), etc..
With all these features and magnificent piece of software like ESPEasy, we can customize/personalize this wall switch (also in appearance with integrated WS2812B leds).
So with all the above, you'll get a dynamic/customizable switch instead of a passive system.

And a very personal note : I like the clean and esthetic looks of the Meek switch more :)

These MEEK switches will be the base sensor arrays for the whole Home Automation & security system.

Thank you for pointing this out and best regards,
MEEK

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#16 Post by Meek » 01 Nov 2017, 18:27

ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hello Meek,

Nice to see what you made. But can you tell us what brand of switch you used for your project?

I bought a Vhome Smart Home Wireless 433MHZ Switch Shape Smart Remote Control transmitter,for touch switch home automation smart remote to use it in the same way you do.
But on this moment i'm not successful with it.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Vhome-Sm ... Title=true
Actually, what you see is the casing that I bought oversees (and I really like the look of these switches, it's clean an beatifull to see).
What really distinguish it from the "regular" switches, are the internal components.
I''ve desgined PCB's to fit in these switches with several electronic components so I'm able to program the Meek switches on how to act once I touched the switch.

Also, the Meek switches will communicate with/thru Wifi instead of 433MhZ.

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#17 Post by Meek » 01 Nov 2017, 18:36

grovkillen wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 06:05
Great (them being remotes).
ManS-H wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 22:18
... But what do you mean with "Do they have LEDs?"
I mean, if I make these connect with a ESP I'd like to have LED lights indicating if the lights are active or inactive. Making it easy to know which switch to push. And at night a small shimmer makes them easy to see/find.

But as I understand from your response, these are just buttons and nothing else. Thus no LED lights?
I'm equipping the Meek switches with at least 1 WS2812B RGB led. So with ESPEasy rules, it's up to the user on how to act once pressed (or long pressed ;) )

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1112
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#18 Post by Shardan » 01 Nov 2017, 21:07

+1
definitely looking forward to it
Regards
Shardan

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#19 Post by grovkillen » 01 Nov 2017, 21:10

Meek wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 18:36
I'm equipping the Meek switches with at least 1 WS2812B RGB led. So with ESPEasy rules, it's up to the user on how to act once pressed (or long pressed ;) )
One per button please :)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

LisaM
Normal user
Posts: 513
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 18:29

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#20 Post by LisaM » 02 Nov 2017, 09:29

Meek wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 18:18
several modules like : temperature sensor, humidity, PIR, Microwave radar sensor, microphone (array for speech recognition), etc..
If you put these sensors in very closed environment like a wall switch, doesn't the switch make the operation of these sensors very difficult?
For example the temperature sensor values might be corrupted by the heat dissipated by the esp due to the closed environment.

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#21 Post by grovkillen » 02 Nov 2017, 09:43

LisaM wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 09:29
Meek wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 18:18
several modules like : temperature sensor, humidity, PIR, Microwave radar sensor, microphone (array for speech recognition), etc..
If you put these sensors in very closed environment like a wall switch, doesn't the switch make the operation of these sensors very difficult?
For example the temperature sensor values might be corrupted by the heat dissipated by the esp due to the closed environment.
+1 for that. I made my first node (ESP Easy) with a BME280 in the center of the enclosure. That temp/humidity is pretty contaminated :) Needless to say, I don't use those values.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#22 Post by Meek » 02 Nov 2017, 12:31

LisaM wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 09:29
Meek wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 18:18
several modules like : temperature sensor, humidity, PIR, Microwave radar sensor, microphone (array for speech recognition), etc..
If you put these sensors in very closed environment like a wall switch, doesn't the switch make the operation of these sensors very difficult?
For example the temperature sensor values might be corrupted by the heat dissipated by the esp due to the closed environment.
Excellent point, I have this switch running for a while and the tests I performed where encouraging enough to consider this option.
The internals of the switch will and are emitting a bit of heat, but the glass panel feels pretty cool certainly around the edges of the glass panel.

I want to attach a DS18B20 on the corner of the PCB/glass panel, with a spring, that forces the sensor to “feel” the temperature of the glass panel.

I have to admit that there will be a small deviation, but in my situation, if the deviation if smaller than 1 Celsius degree, I can live with that.

Once I have assembled the next alpha5 Meek switch, I can conduct several test to see what the actual deviation is.

Thanks for pointing this out

LisaM
Normal user
Posts: 513
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 18:29

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#23 Post by LisaM » 02 Nov 2017, 19:32

Meek wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:31
I want to attach a DS18B20 on the corner of the PCB/glass panel, with a spring, that forces the sensor to “feel” the temperature of the glass panel.
Spring? Why not glue to it using a dot of molten plastic from a glue gun? I've bought this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20W-EU- ... 60948.html
Nowadays i mount pretty much everything using this glue gun when it comes to enclosures.

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#24 Post by Meek » 16 Nov 2017, 15:12

Update 16-Nov : I’ve finally received the PCB’s :
Meek A5v1.jpg
Meek A5v1.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
I’ve also received the most of the electronics that I will solder on the boards.
Next week, I hope to assemble the Meek switch and once ready, I will upload a video on Youtube

User avatar
grovkillen
Core team member
Posts: 3204
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#25 Post by grovkillen » 16 Nov 2017, 15:22

Looks good!
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#26 Post by ManS-H » 16 Nov 2017, 15:54

Nice work, looks good.

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#27 Post by papperone » 16 Nov 2017, 16:10

Nice job, if I may suggest for next revision, I don't see any protection on the AC board (at least a replaceable fuse and an optional varistor to filter...) which shoudl be highly advisable beign those units fitting inside a small wall-box...
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1112
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#28 Post by Shardan » 16 Nov 2017, 18:31

Looks good.

Just one point:
The antenna of the ESP-12 should be in a copper free area - on your pcb for the wall switch there are some copper tracks and the power supply.
This reduces the WiFi range.


Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#29 Post by papperone » 16 Nov 2017, 22:07

Shardan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 18:31
Looks good.

Just one point:
The antenna of the ESP-12 should be in a copper free area - on your pcb for the wall switch there are some copper tracks and the power supply.
This reduces the WiFi range.


Regards
Shardan
Good point as well, I'm maybe too extreme and I always placetop of ESP8266 on the edge and cut the PCB in order to free the antenna area completely both sides :)
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1112
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#30 Post by Shardan » 16 Nov 2017, 22:22

papperone wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 22:07
Shardan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 18:31
Looks good.

Just one point:
The antenna of the ESP-12 should be in a copper free area - on your pcb for the wall switch there are some copper tracks and the power supply.
This reduces the WiFi range.


Regards
Shardan
Good point as well, I'm maybe too extreme and I always placetop of ESP8266 on the edge and cut the PCB in order to free the antenna area completely both sides :)
I avoid all copper on the antenna area + 2..4 mm around. For some devices i'm using an ESP-07S. It's the ESP-12 without any antenna, it has an antenna plug instead so i can use a standard WiFi Antenna or an antenna pcb glued inside the case.

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#31 Post by papperone » 17 Nov 2017, 10:00

Shardan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 22:22
I avoid all copper on the antenna area + 2..4 mm around. For some devices i'm using an ESP-07S. It's the ESP-12 without any antenna, it has an antenna plug instead so i can use a standard WiFi Antenna or an antenna pcb glued inside the case.

Regards
Shardan
Indeed I have experienced strange behaviour in my first PCB prototype when I was not paying attention to this, now I cut the PCB in order to even avoid mistakes running traces won't be possible if there's no PCB underneath :D
I will look for the ESP07 module, should be not too bad in specific scenarios to implement by deafault external connector for antenna...
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1112
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#32 Post by Shardan » 17 Nov 2017, 13:04

ESP-07S for example here:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece- ... eLevelAB=0

PCB-antenna example for inside case mounting:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Notebook ... eLevelAB=0

Standard Wifi antenna example:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/WIFI-SUP ... eLevelAB=0

HTH

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#33 Post by Meek » 23 Nov 2017, 23:53

Hello, as promised, the Meek A5v1 has been assembled.
I’ve uploaded a short video of YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RES49RK4Bw

During the assembling process, I’ve discover an inconvenience (my way of saying that I’ve made a childish error :oops: ), therefore some amendments had to be made during the assembling process.
This caused a misalignment of the WS2812B and therefore the illumination of the switch is way off.
Nevertheless, it’s been a successful Alpha/trial and in the Beta versions, some extra modules will be placed like the RCWL-0516 and perhaps a DHT11 sensor as a test.

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#34 Post by Meek » 24 Nov 2017, 00:09

papperone wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 16:10
Nice job, if I may suggest for next revision, I don't see any protection on the AC board (at least a replaceable fuse and an optional varistor to filter...) which shoudl be highly advisable beign those units fitting inside a small wall-box...
Good point, for now, the only protection I've installed was a glass fuse on the 230V side.
From the testing I've done locally in The Netherlands, this was adequate for the time being as our net 230V is "pretty clean and stable".

For the future Meek switches, I most likely will be adding more protection on both sides (230V & 5V/3.3V) just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your suggestion.

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#35 Post by papperone » 24 Nov 2017, 06:54

Meek wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 00:09
Good point, for now, the only protection I've installed was a glass fuse on the 230V side.
From the testing I've done locally in The Netherlands, this was adequate for the time being as our net 230V is "pretty clean and stable".

For the future Meek switches, I most likely will be adding more protection on both sides (230V & 5V/3.3V) just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your suggestion.
You are welcome; I'm designing my own touch switch (to fit my electrical boxes standard) since months! I've been too ambitius as I wanted it modular and covering as many combination as possible then I'm struggling still with the PCBs design.
Happy to see you at least moved to ALPHA stage, I'm not close to even send PCB for manufacturing!!! May I ask you if you can share some picture of the inside? I'm curious I know :mrgreen:
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#36 Post by Meek » 13 Dec 2017, 22:58

Update Dec2017:
The switches are evolving and I’ve already reached the Beta phase. The main functions are fully operational.

I’m now concentrating on the extra modules/functions that can be integrated into the Meek switches.

At this stage I’m trying to integrating a RWCL-0516 radar motion sensor into the Meek switch. I’m struggling to resolve the interference between the ESP8266 and the RWCL-0516 sensor.
In the new Beta’s, the antennas of the ESP8266 & RWCL-0516 are separated as “far as possible” on the PCB’s, also added some extra electronic components to eliminate fluctuations on the power lines.
If you have any thoughts on resolving the interference, please let me know.

Next week, I hope to receive all the components to assemble the Beta 7 versions of the Meek switch.
As we’re nearing the release of the first switches, I’ve included extra safety measures like a varistor, thermal fuses and off course a regular fuse.

If you have any thoughts or remarks, please let me know.
120171211_184009.jpg
120171211_184009.jpg (146.48 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
120171213_221424.jpg
120171213_221424.jpg (119.82 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

TD-er
Core team member
Posts: 1463
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 22:13
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#37 Post by TD-er » 13 Dec 2017, 23:53

I have done some playing with the RWCL-0516 radar motion sensor myself.
They are great, but you have to 'tunnel' them to get a bit directional detection.
I used some aluminium soda cans to play with and those also reduced the sensitivity.
You have to place some metal (completely closed) in the direction where you do not want sensitivity.

How do you plan to incorporate these shields inside the wall switch?
I guess such a shield will affect WiFi performance.

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#38 Post by Meek » 14 Dec 2017, 09:51

It's a very good question and the answer is : I don't know it……. yet :roll:
With the test I've conducted, separating the antenna of the sensor and ESP unit with a couple of centimeters, reduced the false positives in a great matter.
Adding filters close to the power input of the sensor, had also a positive effect.

Combining these 2 will increase the reliability, but at this stage, I'm not sure if these countermeasures completely eliminate the false positives.
Furthermore, tweaking the software side might also be something to look at.

Last resource will be adding an “electronic fence” around the sensor.
But with the small compartment to work with, this might be the last resort.

I’ll explore alternative solutions and conduct more testing to see how I can incorporate this sensor into the Meek switch.

If you have more concerns or perhaps idea’s, please be welcome to share.

Thanks

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#39 Post by Meek » 14 Dec 2017, 10:06

papperone wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 06:54
Meek wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 00:09
Good point, for now, the only protection I've installed was a glass fuse on the 230V side.
From the testing I've done locally in The Netherlands, this was adequate for the time being as our net 230V is "pretty clean and stable".

For the future Meek switches, I most likely will be adding more protection on both sides (230V & 5V/3.3V) just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your suggestion.
You are welcome; I'm designing my own touch switch (to fit my electrical boxes standard) since months! I've been too ambitius as I wanted it modular and covering as many combination as possible then I'm struggling still with the PCBs design.
Happy to see you at least moved to ALPHA stage, I'm not close to even send PCB for manufacturing!!! May I ask you if you can share some picture of the inside? I'm curious I know :mrgreen:
Next week, I hope to assemble the (hopefully)final Beta switch.
I will shoot some pictures of the assembling process and also of the components.

If you can and willing, you could also consider sharing some info/pictures and perhaps we can learn something from each other.
Perhaps this will give us an extra boost in the development process ?

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#40 Post by Meek » 21 Dec 2017, 21:39

I’ve assembled the Meek (Beta 7) switch with an integrated RCWL-0516 module and with all the filters, the accuracy improved enormously.
That been said/written, in the first night where I tested the Meek switch, he gave 3 “false positives” during a 9 hours trial.

I’ve setup the switch in my kitchen that overlooks at our garden. It could be possible that there were some animal activities that has been captured by the sensor but I cannot tell for sure.
But no matter what caused the “false positives” the results were not satisfactory.

So I went back to do more testing and measuring and found that by repositioning the sensor (although it’s a 360degree sensor) the accuracy improved even more !

Tonight, I will conduct a test in my attic to rule out “jammers”.

I’ll keep you posted and in the meantime, here are some pictures of some of the components :
1IMG_1916.JPG
1IMG_1916.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 6949 times
2IMG_1901.JPG
2IMG_1901.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 6949 times
3IMG_1914.JPG
3IMG_1914.JPG (3.03 MiB) Viewed 6949 times

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#41 Post by papperone » 22 Dec 2017, 12:46

great progress!!!

I'm finalizing my PCb to send them out for manufacturing...
Can you please let me know the names of these screw connectors (and maybe a link) as I'd like to use them but never found them online for purchase?
Immagine 2.png
Immagine 2.png (170.49 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#42 Post by Meek » 22 Dec 2017, 13:11

I know, it was indeed a difficult search for me too.
I've found them at AliExpress :

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/circuit- ... eLevelAB=5

If you find alternatives, please do share and thank you for your interest in this project !

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#43 Post by papperone » 22 Dec 2017, 13:58

Meek wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:11
I know, it was indeed a difficult search for me too.
I've found them at AliExpress :

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/circuit- ... eLevelAB=5

If you find alternatives, please do share and thank you for your interest in this project !
Thanks, so far the plan was to use standard screw terminal, now I will evaluate these ones :)
I'm less advanced than you but I promise I'll share as soon as I will go to prototyping my solution (even thou it'll be pretty much customized to italian wall-box standard size :( )

PS: I did not plan to have any type of proximity/radar sensor yet but would be interesting to see your final design...
As well I plan to use mechanical/SSR relays instead of Triacs, to be able to switch different type of loads and to separate the switched circuits from the rest of electronics, but I'm curious to see your final product behaviour and performances!
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

User avatar
ManS-H
Normal user
Posts: 232
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 11:26
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#44 Post by ManS-H » 22 Dec 2017, 19:07

Meek wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:11
I know, it was indeed a difficult search for me too.
I've found them at AliExpress :

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/circuit- ... eLevelAB=5

If you find alternatives, please do share and thank you for your interest in this project !
What do you think of these?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/PCB-wiri ... 99971.html

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#45 Post by Meek » 23 Dec 2017, 09:04

ManS-H wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 19:07
Meek wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:11
I know, it was indeed a difficult search for me too.
I've found them at AliExpress :

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/circuit- ... eLevelAB=5

If you find alternatives, please do share and thank you for your interest in this project !
What do you think of these?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/PCB-wiri ... 99971.html
Thank you for pointing these out, unfortunately, these were not compatible with the casing dimensions that I use.
Perhaps someone else would find this link useful as it was really hard to find these connectors.

I'm still searching for alternative connectors of a height of 9mm with a PCB fitting that could only be connected in a certain angle. The reason is simply that with the round bottoms, it’s really hard to solder them in a 0’degree angle in relation to the PCB.

So please, if you find alternatives please share it here, perhaps your link would be useful for me or someone else who’s in need of these connectors.

Once again, thank you for pointing this out, I really appreciate it !

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#46 Post by Meek » 23 Dec 2017, 09:05

The last test over a period of 10 hours, had a hit rate of 100%.
Now I need to finalize the code/rules to operate on motion once the Lux meter drops to a certain level.
After that, I will install it in my kitchen an post a video of the operation.
Meek Beta7 RCWL0516.PNG
Meek Beta7 RCWL0516.PNG (110.21 KiB) Viewed 7195 times

papperone
Normal user
Posts: 497
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 23:16

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#47 Post by papperone » 23 Dec 2017, 09:47

Meek wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 09:05
The last test over a period of 10 hours, had a hit rate of 100%.
Now I need to finalize the code/rules to operate on motion once the Lux meter drops to a certain level.
After that, I will install it in my kitchen an post a video of the operation.
Meek Beta7 RCWL0516.PNG
So you mean you succeed to position/screen the radar sensor in order to avoid false triggering?
Woudl be interestign to see how you accomplished that goal!!
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

TD-er
Core team member
Posts: 1463
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 22:13
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#48 Post by TD-er » 23 Dec 2017, 18:25

Indeed, adjusting sensor direction and sensitivity of these sensors is something I'm very interested in.

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 404
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#49 Post by enesbcs » 23 Dec 2017, 19:20

papperone wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 09:47
So you mean you succeed to position/screen the radar sensor in order to avoid false triggering?
Woudl be interestign to see how you accomplished that goal!!
I am using RCWL radar sensor output + a normal PIR such as SR501/SR505 together with a logical AND gate and i did not see false triggers yet.
I think some aluminum foil can be used to mask the detection area, but not tested. :)

Anyway it's a very nice project!

Meek
Normal user
Posts: 57
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 15:50
Contact:

Re: Meek Wifi wall switch ESP8266

#50 Post by Meek » 26 Dec 2017, 18:17

I have finally accomplished the fully integration of a Doppler radar into the Meek switch. As promised, I’ve uploaded a video on YouTube of the newest Meek switch in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO8sSX1eiEU

The development continues and I’m almost ready to release the first small quantities of the Meek switches to the public. I’ll keep you informed ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests