Event Action plugin?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

mkotek
Normal user

Event Action plugin?

#1 Post by mkotek » 21 Dec 2015, 23:55

What is the purpose of the Event Action plugin in R48? The link for help points to http://www.esp8266.nu/index.php/Plugin90, but this is currently empty?
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

Martinus

Re: Event Action plugin?

#2 Post by Martinus » 22 Dec 2015, 09:07

It's an experimental plugin that actually should not have left the test lab. It's not on github but it was included in the sourceforge zipfile by mistake.

Change management needs improvement here :mrgreen:

mkotek
Normal user

#3 Post by mkotek » 22 Dec 2015, 09:19

Martinus wrote:It's an experimental plugin that actually should not have left the test lab. It's not on github but it was included in the sourceforge zipfile by mistake.

Change management needs improvement here :mrgreen:
No problem with that - I understand, you do not want to elaborate more at this time?
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

Martinus

#4 Post by Martinus » 22 Dec 2015, 14:10

mkotek wrote:...you do not want to elaborate more at this time?
It was build a while ago but I soon figured out that it would probably be too limited and would probably lead to more requests than actual solutions. And the internal ESP Easy code was never really build with this kind of features in mind.

Stability was another concern for having the ESP Easy becoming a controller. Main focus is being a sensor and I think it does a fair job by now and would be best to keep it successful.

So that's why it was never intended to publish it. But being around on SourceForge probably everyone has it by now. So it's also a bit strange that you're the first one asking about this plugin. So these visitors on SourceForge download the stuff but never use it?

Do you use it for something right now?

mkotek
Normal user

#5 Post by mkotek » 22 Dec 2015, 15:16

Actually not - been too busy creating a node to control Christmas tree and outside lightning :) So I have only spotted it, together with some other stuff and at first glance I was unable to understand it, so I have asked :) If you intend to remove it, then there is no point in analysig it :(

Martinus

#6 Post by Martinus » 22 Dec 2015, 16:26

Martinus wrote:Do you use it for something right now?
mkotek wrote:Actually not...
So it won't hurt if it gets 'lost' in the next SourceForge zipfile(?)

mkotek
Normal user

#7 Post by mkotek » 22 Dec 2015, 16:56

No, I suppose not. I can program events on Domoticz :) I am not using standalone modules.

costo
Normal user

#8 Post by costo » 22 Dec 2015, 22:23

I agree we do not need an Event Action plugin.

At first I thought ESPEasy was slow over WiFi communicating with a controller like Domoticz.
So I made 2 ESPEasy gateways and have , together with sensors and a display on both, a switch on the first module and a led on the second module all connected to Domoticz.
In Domoticz I coupled an action on the switch to turn on the led. I was pretty surprised by the speed of the action, in less then half a second the LED status on the second module reacts at the switch on the first module.

This will be fast enough for almost every situation that I will use, so I feel no need for events inside ESPEasy. Stablility is the most important and I am very happy with that too. My ESPEasy gateways on a breadboard work for about a week and I have not seen any instability.

tim
Normal user

#9 Post by tim » 23 Dec 2015, 16:49

It looks like this plugin does something that i know from the Nodo project (boot, timer and userevents) correct ?
That could be handy in some cases i think.

tozett
Normal user

#10 Post by tozett » 23 Dec 2015, 22:11

i also found this plugin an the empty wiki-page for (not-)help.
Please, keep it in. enhance functionality on ESPs with in- and outputs.
in my knx-home-automation there are a lot of examples, where an espeasy could take inputs, send their values to some sort of controller (gira-homeserver ...) or!!! do an action on an output directly. the event-action plugin could be some sort of interface, to do some udp/socat sending to ports, or setting of GPIOs.
First, ESP8266 must run stable, but the functionality of an event-action plugin would be great, i think.