WISH Support for AC/DC Current Hall Sensor ACS712 in 5,20 an 30A

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

M0ng0
New user

WISH Support for AC/DC Current Hall Sensor ACS712 in 5,20 an 30A

#1 Post by M0ng0 » 25 Mar 2018, 08:23

Hello,

i would wish me the Support for the Current Sensor ACS712. This Sensor gives in 5A,20A and 30A Version.

Here ist the Datasheet from the Company.
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Bre ... s/0712.pdf

or here is a projekt with the esp8266.

http://tskit.co.kr/zbxe/download/2983

Hope this Sensor will be soon supportet :)

AND THANK YOU FOR THE NICE ESPEASY!!!

whatsupskip
Normal user

Re: WISH Support for AC/DC Current Hall Sensor ACS712 in 5,20 an 30A

#2 Post by whatsupskip » 27 Mar 2018, 12:47

There doesn't need to be direct support for the ACS712 as all you need to do is to measure two voltages. However I found that the regulated 5VDC I was using was not even close to 5VDC and of course the ESP8266 only has one analog input. If you knew you had a really constant 5VDC input, then you could use the analog input on the ESP8266. The other problem with using the ESP8266 analog input is that it isn't very accurate and the resolution is very low.

I have ended up using the ADS1115, which is supported by ESP Easy. I haven't actually set this up under ESP Easy, but it shouldn't be hard. I was having issues with noise on the 5VDC and connections of the resistors in the voltage dividers on the breadboard. At least I think that was what the problem was. I haven't had a chance to resolve the hardware problems.

The circuit design in the link I think is wrong. It looks to me like it is possible to send close to 5VDC into the ESP8266 ADC which only supports a maximum of 1VDC or 3.2VDC on the Wemos D1 mini. There needs to be a pair of resistors forming a voltage divider lowering the voltage going into the ADC.
Friends with kangaroos and some time koala rescuer.