NodeMCU doing many things!

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

smartsoldier
New user

NodeMCU doing many things!

#1 Post by smartsoldier » 18 Aug 2018, 00:26

Right now I have 2 NodeMCUs on my bedside table. One has a DHT22 (3.3v) and HC-SR501 (5v). The other has a Nextion 2.4in touchscreen (5v). Can I move the Nextion to the first NodeMCU and free up the 2nd for more projects? I'm wondering if I can pull 5v to the HC-SR501 and the Nextion and be fine.

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: NodeMCU doing many things!

#2 Post by ThomasB » 18 Aug 2018, 05:43

The HC-SR501 and Nextion have 3.3V logic levels. So they are directly compatible with the ESP8266 and do not require logic level conversion. Use 5V to power them and wire their signals to the GPIO pins.

- Thomas

smartsoldier
New user

#3 Post by smartsoldier » 18 Aug 2018, 15:27

ThomasB wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 05:43 The HC-SR501 and Nextion have 3.3V logic levels. So they are directly compatible with the ESP8266 and do not require logic level conversion. Use 5V to power them and wire their signals to the GPIO pins.

- Thomas
Thanks I understand their signals will be perfectly compatible. My question was concerning electricity (amps or wattage idk) implications of pulling 5V from the NodeMCU for these two different items. Is there a scenario where they are alright on their own, but if I power them both from a single 5V pin on the NodeMCU there won't be enough power?

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 18 Aug 2018, 16:59

The NodeMCU boards have a direct connection from the USB +5V line to the V_in line.
So if your USB power supply has enough power and the USB cable used isn't too flimsy, then it should work.
If you expect short peaks in the consumed current, you may want to add some (not too large) capacitor to cover those peaks, but I think the power consumption of the Nextion is mainly based on the backlight of the LCD, so that will be quite constant.

So in short, if in doubt, or experiencing issues, try a bigger (thicker wires) USB cable. But that's an advice applicable to almost all applications here :)

ThomasB
Normal user

#5 Post by ThomasB » 18 Aug 2018, 17:42

So in short, if in doubt, or experiencing issues, try a bigger (thicker wires) USB cable. But that's an advice applicable to almost all applications here
That is golden information. Both USB cables (inadequate copper size) and poor quality USB power supplies (excess ripple, noisy, etc.) seem to be common sources of ESP8266 troubles. The ESP8266 needs very clean power for stable operation.

- Thomas