What's on the Slab

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Shardan
Normal user

What's on the Slab

#1 Post by Shardan » 16 Sep 2018, 18:04

Hello all,

some projetcts to show which are on the slab for testing.
I'll put documentations up to the wiki as soon as I have some spare time.... may take a while ;)

First a project that might look a bit needless: A 4ch-relay.
I know there is the Sonoff 4ch - I couldn't use it. I wanted to put it behind some LED panels at the ceiling
but it is just too big, it does not fit between ceiling and panel.
So I designed a somewhat smaller one that fits the AK-N-42 case from AliExpres (100x80x30 mm).
4ch-Relay.jpg
4ch-Relay.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
Outdoor Sensor
A new outdoor sensor was designed and two prototypes are running already here on north and south side.
It's equipped with a SHT1x humidity and temperature sensor, a BMP180 pressure sensor and two luminosity
sensors, the BH1750 and the TLS2561. The sensors are pluggable so it can be equipped by your choice.
It's kept small enough to fit into a 83x58x33 mm IP65 box availlable from AliExpress.
Outdoor_Sensor.jpg
Outdoor_Sensor.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
Remote Control.
As my old remotes were a bit outdated and not flexible I've created a new one residing in a AK-N-42 box.
It is based on a MCP23017 so 16 IO's are availlable. To keep it as flexible as possible and to get the
buttons near the front a second PCB is used as a "piggyback", keeping buttons, LEDs and even some
WS2812B Neopixel LEDs. If another configuration of buttons or LEDs is needed just the piggyback PCB
has to be redesigned. Nearly every combination is possible, limited only by number of tasks (12 atm).
Remote_Complete.jpg
Remote_Complete.jpg (79.51 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
New room sensors.
As my roomsensor design shown in the wiki is pretty outdated i wanted to create a new one.
At last it showed that two designs were needed. Both can be equipped with a environmental
sensor as BMP180, BME280 or such and a luminosity sensor, a small OLED display on top if wanted.
A buzzer can be placed on the PCB so you may use the sensor for alarming purposes or just as
an alarm clock.
Roomsensors.jpg
Roomsensors.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
-
Left is the standard design. Sensors and display are plugable so choose what you want or replace it later.
The bigger sensor on the right contains a Figaro CO sensor as the ususal MQ-senors showed to be completely
unreliable. Additional sensors and the display can be placed on a piggyback PCB.
Thundermon - a Thunderstorm monitor
Beware - this is a pure proof of concept build at this time. The final design will be completely different
due to some things that are not to my likings. I'll separate the lighning antenna from the main PCB so it
can be separated as it must be placed outside. I don't like some details with the circuit at this time.
It uses the electromagnetic fields of lightnings - do you remeber old AM radios? A thunderstorm gives
noises in those old radios. A little and cheap receiver chip detects these pulses. I tried to use the
ESP itself for evaluating these pulses but it has shown that this does not work well. So I used a
very small AVR CPU (ATTiny13) for evaluationg and the ESP does the rest.
Thundermon-Front.jpg
Thundermon-Front.jpg (66.52 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
The black coil on the left is the receiver antenna.
A big disatvantage of this prototype: Most likely it can't be built with usual tools you have at home.
It has a density of SMD parts that needs hot air soldering and a lot of experience.
Thundermon-Back.jpg
Thundermon-Back.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
The final version will have more features: Single LEDs per funcion, atm some LED outputs are used
for more then one signal making the connection to the ESP quite complex. On top an automatic
gain recalibration at least once per day will be implemented, an analog field strength value too.
This will need an AVR CPU with some more IO-pins, the ATTiny2313A.
And now I'm waiting for some real thunderstorms.... :twisted:
Last edited by Shardan on 16 Sep 2018, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Shardan

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: What's on the Slap

#2 Post by grovkillen » 16 Sep 2018, 18:16

Amazing Shard! :o We want you to get time to spend on documentation ASAP ;)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

TD-er
Core team member

Re: What's on the Slab

#3 Post by TD-er » 17 Sep 2018, 00:34

That looks great!
I also like the T-storm detection. Great addition which you don't see in normal weather stations.
Does it have some filtering so it won't give false positives when a moped passes?

papperone
Normal user

#4 Post by papperone » 17 Sep 2018, 08:39

Those look awesome!!
Well done Shardan!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS: any reason why you put 2 luninosity sensors in your outdoor module?
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Shardan
Normal user

#5 Post by Shardan » 17 Sep 2018, 12:34

TD-er wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 00:34 That looks great!
I also like the T-storm detection. Great addition which you don't see in normal weather stations.
Does it have some filtering so it won't give false positives when a moped passes?
Yep it has.
Basically the ThunderMon uses the lightning pulses, the "crackles" you hear from a lightning in an AM radio.
The loop inside the ATTiny counts pulses for 1000 ms. Then the counter is checked and LEDs / ESP inputs
are evaluated with differrent threshholds. If no pulses are counted, the counter decays by a certain
value with every loop until zero is reched again.
So this gives a kind of software based lowpass filter to get rid of single or a few pulses.
The final version will get an automatic calibration so it can adapt itself to an adequate sensivity on top.

EDIT
Maybe it should be mentioned too that one single pulse is not counted. As a lightning comes with several
pulses a single pulse is considered as a "click" of a light swich or such and not counted.
Last edited by Shardan on 17 Sep 2018, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Shardan

Shardan
Normal user

#6 Post by Shardan » 17 Sep 2018, 12:41

papperone wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 08:39 Those look awesome!!
Well done Shardan!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS: any reason why you put 2 luninosity sensors in your outdoor module?
Sure - I'm curious! :)

I've noticed with my earlier version of the outdoor sensor, that these sensors give back quite different values.
Interesting part: These diferences vary a lot. I can't say "sensor A * 1.1 = Senosr B".
I watched it for a while and it seems that the differences depend on sunny/cloudy weather. With sunny weather
one sensor shows higher values, with cloudy weather the other one.

I'll try to verify that - it could be usefull for some home control purposes (curtains, (canvas) blinds etc).

Anyways all these sensor breakouts and the SHT1x are optional and plugable so anyone can put sensors
together by his own needs. (And if you put this sensor near your garden pond: There's a pin header for
an external DS18B20 too. :) )
Regards
Shardan

papperone
Normal user

#7 Post by papperone » 18 Sep 2018, 08:40

Thanks was just curious as I still did not have experimented a lot with light sensors... I might clone myself to find time to do everything I've in my mind!!! :geek:
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

ThomasB
Normal user

#8 Post by ThomasB » 19 Sep 2018, 17:28

some projetcts to show which are on the slab for testing.
Nice work!

- Thomas

Shardan
Normal user

#9 Post by Shardan » 21 Sep 2018, 13:06

Thank you :D
Regards
Shardan