tiomny
Normal user

Re: Android application

#51 Post by tiomny » 07 Apr 2020, 12:08

Domosapiens wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 10:58
I have public repo - without code
So no-one can check on a Trojan Horse?
My suggestion: stay away from this software
Sorry? I believe Google checks this software when publishing it in Play Market.

TD-er
Core team member

#52 Post by TD-er » 07 Apr 2020, 12:08

Domosapiens wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 10:58
I have public repo - without code
So no-one can check on a Trojan Horse?
My suggestion: stay away from this software
Just curious, do you check the code of all apps on your phone?

I don't know what future plans tiomny has with his app.
Maybe it will be open source once, maybe not.
I can imagine having a very pre-alpha version of a project is not very practical to make its source code available immediately for all.
It can hurt dev speed if the code is still very much in flux as you will have users diving into the code, asking for tips on how to build it, or enter issues based on code that's already been replaced.

Now that I think of it, I don't know many open source Android or IOS apps.

It is good to be a bit reluctant on closed source tools and have a good understanding of all the possible risks involved of running a black box.
But advising to stay away from something just because the source is not immediately open, while it is obviously still very much in development is a bit too harsh I think.
"Een beetje te kort door de bocht", for the Dutch among us :)

tiomny
Normal user

#53 Post by tiomny » 07 Apr 2020, 12:23

I will probably open the source code - at least I want to compensate the publishing expenses and time spent on developing the app: it has already more than 4500 lines of code.

martinus
Normal user

#54 Post by martinus » 07 Apr 2020, 13:00

tiomny wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 12:23 I will probably open the source code
Please do so...

The LetsControlIt platform has a very strong emphasis on Open Source projects.
Our primary mission is to share code and ideas to help each other in DIY projects.
Sharing code is quite difficult if source is unavaible for others ;)

We have a special forum area "Experimental" so even the first alpha version can go there to discover and discuss.
Part of the fun is being involved in the early stages of development.

Domosapiens
Normal user

#55 Post by Domosapiens » 07 Apr 2020, 15:24

I believe Google checks this software when publishing it in Play Market.
Just google "google play store trojan"
Just curious, do you check the code of all apps on your phone?
Most Android applications don't scan your network.
"Een beetje te kort door de bocht", for the Dutch among us
Could be ...
But if this application has a hidden connection to the outside world ...
On windows ...I would check the outgoing communication of the firewall.
On an Android phone???

And ... no, I even don't use my phone for payments ... do you?
30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

TD-er
Core team member

#56 Post by TD-er » 07 Apr 2020, 22:22

Domosapiens wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 15:24 [...]

And ... no, I even don't use my phone for payments ... do you?
Sort of, I use DigiD.
That can have a much wider range compared to a bank app.

Wiki
Normal user

#57 Post by Wiki » 07 Apr 2020, 23:25

Domosapiens wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 15:24 But if this application has a hidden connection to the outside world ...
On windows ...I would check the outgoing communication of the firewall.
On an Android phone???
Before posting a such harsh comment as you did before you should have had a deep look into yout own skills.

A firewall on Android is much more powerful than the firewalls on windows ever would be. Just install "firewall without root" - the by far easiest way, specially for noobs - on your phone and have a look at the protocols. If you ever would have had installed a firewall on your Android phone you would have been be surprised, who, when and with whom your phone communicates.

The protocls surveying IoT Mage show one thing: It scans your network for answers on port :80 - nothing else. And this is exactly what it was designed for and what it is supposed to do.

So, please, don't blame someone whom you don't know with things from which you don't know what you are talking about.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ man woman
No manual entry for woman
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Wiki
Normal user

#58 Post by Wiki » 07 Apr 2020, 23:48

@tiomny: Don't let yourself getting discouraged by such a discussion which nobody needs in a community like this one....

tiomny
Normal user

#59 Post by tiomny » 08 Apr 2020, 00:01

Thank you for your support - you found the right words and the right instruments to prove that my effort isn't useless. I appreciate it.
Currently I am working on solving strange misbehavior of the Sliver App Bar on the device web page, and it was encouraging to read that the app makes sense for someone apart from me.

Wiki
Normal user

#60 Post by Wiki » 10 Apr 2020, 16:28

I am getting more and more happy with the app. Meanwhile ther are some enhancements, ie the webpages of the devices are pretty responsive and scrollable.

Getting access to deep sleep devices now is easy going, just tap the device in the list, the app will wait for the device to wake up, send a desired command (ie NoSleep) and I have my deep sleep device ready for configuring, updating or whatever.

And I do have an overview of devices which makes it pretty much easier to manage them:
20200410_161253593.jpg
20200410_161253593.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 17965 times

tiomny
Normal user

#61 Post by tiomny » 11 Apr 2020, 12:17

Version 1.2.4: removed Google Services.

chemmex
Normal user

#62 Post by chemmex » 17 Apr 2020, 01:08

Tried to make a scan from the phone in tethering (Access Point) mode. It actually would be my primary use of the app, searching for ESPs with those random dhcp addresses in 192.168.43 range. No go though, neither normal scan nor deep. Did you consider using the app that way?

tiomny
Normal user

#63 Post by tiomny » 17 Apr 2020, 08:45

chemmex wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 01:08 Tried to make a scan from the phone in tethering (Access Point) mode. It actually would be my primary use of the app, searching for ESPs with those random dhcp addresses in 192.168.43 range. No go though, neither normal scan nor deep. Did you consider using the app that way?
I think that the app should work that way, although I didn't test it.
Are the devices connected to the phone AP to the same subnet as the phone's?

shokoman
New user

#64 Post by shokoman » 17 Jul 2020, 23:47

Tell me, how did you translate into other languages ​​for your application? Thanks! I am contemplating German localization with TheWordPoint from this review https://pickwriters.com/german-translation-services. What further actions and tools would you recommend to me? This is my first experience, and it is important for me to get a quality result.

djakov
Normal user

#65 Post by djakov » 11 Nov 2020, 16:23

Hello, i created a simple and easy to use Android app that you can use to control your ESPEasy devices. For start, it only has a ON/OFF device switch and next thing to do is adding and triggering Rules. You may find it useful.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .smarthome

Also, if anyone is interested about the code, feel free to contact me, it's Public project on GitHub and it is following Android Best practices(Kotlin/Dagger Hilt/Retrofit/MVVM).

Ath
Normal user

#66 Post by Ath » 11 Nov 2020, 16:55

djakov wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 16:23 Also, if anyone is interested about the code, feel free to contact me, it's Public project on GitHub and it is following Android Best practices(Kotlin/Dagger Hilt/Retrofit/MVVM).
Great,
Please share the Github url, so we'll be able to look at the source
/Ton (PayPal.me)

djakov
Normal user

#67 Post by djakov » 11 Nov 2020, 18:03

Ath wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 16:55
djakov wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 16:23 Also, if anyone is interested about the code, feel free to contact me, it's Public project on GitHub and it is following Android Best practices(Kotlin/Dagger Hilt/Retrofit/MVVM).
Great,
Please share the Github url, so we'll be able to look at the source
Yes, sure, here is the link to the repository: https://github.com/antoniodjakov/smart-home

Also, link to the app on PlayStore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .smarthome

JoeyStyles
New user

#68 Post by JoeyStyles » 03 Feb 2021, 13:01

You know, it's a very useful application.Thank you for sharing these codes too. It would be really helpful for my further university project as we decided to make a Wifi stabilizer application for Android system. It's quite personal for me because I ofter have troubles with wi-fi connection. But honestly, I have never dealt before with Android platform so that would be very challenging for me. I know that I have to read a lot tutorials and guides to understand its capabilities and nuances. My colleague recommended me have a look at what is android system webview and it looks really informative.