ESPEasy as access point

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Wiki
Normal user

ESPEasy as access point

#1 Post by Wiki » 29 Apr 2020, 16:55

I want to install a micro IoT in my caravan to collect the data from battery status, water level, gas level, temperatures, power consumption, gps, vehicle levelling a.s.o.

Is it possible to use one of the devices as an access point and - if yes - how many devices could connect simultaniously to that access point?

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ man woman
No manual entry for woman
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

enesbcs
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy as access point

#2 Post by enesbcs » 29 Apr 2020, 20:01

Wiki wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 16:55 I want to install a micro IoT in my caravan to collect the data from battery status, water level, gas level, temperatures, power consumption, gps, vehicle levelling a.s.o.

Is it possible to use one of the devices as an access point and - if yes - how many devices could connect simultaniously to that access point?
Not so many, i think an ESP AP can hold no more than 4-5 connections at a time.

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 29 Apr 2020, 21:11

Also keep in mind that an ESP in access point mode never turns down the WiFi radio.
So don't be surprised if it ends up using close to a Watt (including the power regulation etc.) continuously.
That's quite a lot for a battery, even a car battery.
It can deplete a big car battery in roughly 3 weeks, so it makes starting the engine too much.
1 Watt is roughly 2Ah per day, so after 21 days it consumed more then half the capacity of a rather large car battery of a Diesel engine.

happytm
Normal user

#4 Post by happytm » 29 Apr 2020, 23:56

There is one possible solution here https://github.com/happytm/BatteryNode . It uses ProbeRequest protocol to exchange data between master and slave devices on standalone network.It can handle many slave devices. The master device itself is MQTT broker so there is no need to use external MQTT broker. All the sensor data can be displayed on smartphone by using MQTT Dash android app linked here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... h&hl=en_US (No internet access required). The whole process of setting up the network is very simple and fast.

Thanks.

Wiki
Normal user

#5 Post by Wiki » 30 Apr 2020, 02:35

enesbcs wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 20:01 Not so many, i think an ESP AP can hold no more than 4-5 connections at a time.
Thats exactly what I have been worried about....
TD-er wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 21:11 Also keep in mind that an ESP in access point mode never turns down the WiFi radio.
1 Watt is roughly 2Ah per day, so after 21 days it consumed more then half the capacity of a rather large car battery of a Diesel engine.
I'm not worried about power consumption at all. Somewhat 240Ah batteries onboard and 160W solar panels are sufficient to run an ESP8266 in full wifi power for some decades ;-). My current "Onboard Computer" - a Tiny Tiger - takes roughly 3W since 16 years, so I'm pretty sure, I will be on the safe side of the moon.

@happytm: Thanks for the links. I will have a deeper look into them, looks very, very interesting.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ man woman
No manual entry for woman
pi@raspberrypi:~ $