flash Sonoff Basic R2

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

gibus17
Normal user

flash Sonoff Basic R2

#1 Post by gibus17 » 21 Mar 2021, 16:23

Google translation
Hello,
I still have difficulty flaher a sonoff.
I use the tool "ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe"
the flash often aborts, I restart it several times so that it manages to run completely.
I then have three cases:
1) no boot: nothing on the serial port
2) start up with an uninterrupted flow of characters on the serial port which ends up crashing the Windows PC
3) normal start

These last days for a sonoff basic R2 (power V1.4 from 2019-11-08 with the ESP8266EX chip) with the release "ESPEasy_ESP82xx_mega-20210114" and the binary "ESP_Easy_mega_20210114_normal_ESP8285_1M.bin" the flash never allowed a correct result .
I succeeded after multiple tries with the binary "ESP_Easy_mega_20210114_normal_ESP8266_1M_VCC.bin"
Is there a downside to using this binary with this equipment?
Are there any precautions to be taken to make the flash operation more reliable?

Moreover the flash with the binary "blank_1MB.bin" never succeeds there is an error after a few seconds.

cordially

Bonjour,
j'ai toujours des difficulté pour flaher un sonoff.
j'utilise l'outil "ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe"
le flash avorte souvent, je le relance plusieurs fois pourqu'il arrive à s'exécuter complètement.
J'ai alors trois cas:
1) pas de démarrage : rien sur le port série
2) démarrage avec sur le port série un flot ininterrompu de caractères qui finissent par planter le PC windows
3) démarrage normal

Ces derniers jours pour un sonoff basic R2 (power V1.4 de 2019-11-08 avec la puce ESP8266EX) avec la release "ESPEasy_ESP82xx_mega-20210114" et le binaire "ESP_Easy_mega_20210114_normal_ESP8285_1M.bin" le flash n'a jamais permis un résultat correct.
J'ai réussi après de multiples essais avec le binaire "ESP_Easy_mega_20210114_normal_ESP8266_1M_VCC.bin"
Y at'il un inconvénient à utiliser ce binaire avec cet équipement?
Y a t'il des précautions à prendre pour que l'opération flash soit plus fiable.

Par aileurs le flash avec le binaire "blank_1MB.bin" n'aboutit jamais il y a une erreur au bout de quelques secondes.

Cordialement

TD-er
Core team member

Re: flash Sonoff Basic R2

#2 Post by TD-er » 21 Mar 2021, 16:47

When you're having trouble with the included flashing tools, maybe you should try Espressif's own flashing tools?
See: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... shing.html

Another thing that may be problematic with Sonoff units is that they don't have a reset pin which is easy to access.
This means you need to keep the button (the one connected to GPIO-0) pressed while booting the unit to make sure it boots into flashing mode.
This is rather tricky, also because those buttons don't always make the best contact.

I made a special cable to flash Sonoff units which allows me to disconnect the 3V3 line so I don't need to disconnect the USB to serial from the PC which may take some extra hands I don't have :)

Right after the Sonoff is booted (with GPIO pulled to GND via the button) you should start the flashing procedure and it is best to keep the button pressed during flash.

gibus17
Normal user

#3 Post by gibus17 » 21 Mar 2021, 17:39

Google translation
Thank you for the quick reply
I will try with the expressive tool
Even keeping the button pressed all the time I have these difficulties
Can you tell me where to get the diagram of the cable you use
Thank you

Merci pour la réponse rapide
je vais essayer avec l'outil expressif
Même en maintenant le bouton enfoncé en permanence j'ai ces difficcultés
Pouvez vous m'indiquer ou me procurer le schéma du cable que vous utilisez
Merci

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 22 Mar 2021, 00:38

Well it is not that complex.
I just inserted a small flip switch inline with the 3v3 line.
So it isn't that impressive :)