Wake from DeepSleep on GPIO ?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Affinite
Normal user

Wake from DeepSleep on GPIO ?

#1 Post by Affinite » 27 Jan 2022, 17:26

Is there a way to manually wake up an ESP8266 using a GPIO input ?
I have an NodeMCU ESP8266 which I'm using to count pulses on a anchor chain winch on my boat.
For most of the time the winch is powered off and idle so it makes sense to let the ESP sleep when not counting to conserve battery power.
The problem is how to wake it up again when the winch starts turning.
To start the winch 12v is applied to the control box so this is the obvious trigger but how to use that to wake up the ESP8266 is the problem I'm struggling to answer.

Its not a high speed counter so I could just power the ESP8266 from the winch supply but I also need to store a persistent variable (number of metres of chain out) so power off is not really an option (unless someone has cracked the problem of persistent storage of variables)

I may investigate a 555 monostable (one shot) circuit to momentarily drop the RST/GPIO16 link to ground and wake the ESP8266 when power is applied to the winch but I wondered if anyone else could think of a (better) solution.

I know there's another recent thread on waking an ESP32, but I dont think this is a duplicate

Thanks

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Wake from DeepSleep on GPIO ?

#2 Post by TD-er » 27 Jan 2022, 22:15

You could send a pulse to the RST pin, the same as is done by GPIO-16 when waking from deep sleep.

ESP8266 does not allow to wake up from another pin.
ESP32 can be configured to be woken by some external trigger on some pin, but that's not (yet) supported by ESPEasy.

Affinite
Normal user

Re: Wake from DeepSleep on GPIO ?

#3 Post by Affinite » 28 Jan 2022, 09:05

TD-er
Thanks, 555 monostable it is then.
(And keep an eye on ESPEASY/ESP32 developments)