Reboot router, ESPEasy doesn't reconnect?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

sheppy
Normal user

Reboot router, ESPEasy doesn't reconnect?

#1 Post by sheppy » 28 Jun 2016, 05:58

I'm testing ESPEasy on a Wemos D1Mini, and its working well, however I just rebooted my router after ESPEasy had been up for around 3 days, and ESPEasy didn't reconnect until I reset it. I'm using the build 78 from the webpage, with a Fritzbox 7390, and a quick look at the development version history on GitHub doesn't mention reconnecting, assuming I've not missed it.
Is not reconnecting to WiFi after a router reboot a bug?

wutu
Normal user

Re: Reboot router, ESPEasy doesn't reconnect?

#2 Post by wutu » 28 Jun 2016, 09:54

From https://github.com/ESP8266nu/ESPEasy/bl ... eNotes.ino
// R95 31-03-2016
// Added periodic Wifi reconnect check when Wifi connection is lost, AP will be active during this stage

sheppy
Normal user

#3 Post by sheppy » 28 Jun 2016, 10:00

Thanks, I missed that one, will give it a try tomorrow. Thinking about it I did see an extra wifi network beginning with ESP, so that should fix it.
Should I upgrade to R95 or a later release? I'm after stability with MQTT to Openhab more than anything else.
I control relays and use the analogue input and 1-wire ds18b20's

wutu
Normal user

#4 Post by wutu » 28 Jun 2016, 13:43

With the R108 I have a problem with the protocol 5 (OpenHAB). Otherwise below ok.
http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=20#p7626

sheppy
Normal user

#5 Post by sheppy » 29 Jun 2016, 00:09

Thanks for the replies, are the builds available in flash form, or do I have to download the .ino file and compile using the Arduino software? (Apologies if this is a really obvious question - I'm a relative newbie to the ESP world)

tozett
Normal user

#6 Post by tozett » 29 Jun 2016, 08:50

manjh
Normal user

#7 Post by manjh » 29 Jun 2016, 18:07

I think the time has arrived to make a new flash version available. Main priority is stability.
People using the flash version (in my view) are after the latest stable version, not the latest beta... :)

sheppy
Normal user

#8 Post by sheppy » 29 Jun 2016, 21:29

Later versions of both mqttpubsubient and also the ESP8266 library mean that on my system both the released build and the beta versions give compile errors. Later today I need to experiment with libraries to see what I can get to work. This could be tricky for those less knowledgable, so a released build is a lot easier

tozett
Normal user

#9 Post by tozett » 30 Jun 2016, 16:03

i am no developer, but could this be the way to go for automatic release building?
https://travis-ci.org/

costo
Normal user

#10 Post by costo » 01 Jul 2016, 00:33

sheppy wrote:Later versions of both mqttpubsubient and also the ESP8266 library mean that on my system both the released build and the beta versions give compile errors. Later today I need to experiment with libraries to see what I can get to work. This could be tricky for those less knowledgable, so a released build is a lot easier
As far as I understand, the policy is to only make bin files available for proven steady builds.
So you have to stick to R78 if you do not want to test beta versions and compile these yourself.

Sooner or later a new stable version will be released which will include the compiled bin files.

manjh
Normal user

#11 Post by manjh » 01 Jul 2016, 09:50

costo wrote:
sheppy wrote:Later versions of both mqttpubsubient and also the ESP8266 library mean that on my system both the released build and the beta versions give compile errors. Later today I need to experiment with libraries to see what I can get to work. This could be tricky for those less knowledgable, so a released build is a lot easier
As far as I understand, the policy is to only make bin files available for proven steady builds.
So you have to stick to R78 if you do not want to test beta versions and compile these yourself.

Sooner or later a new stable version will be released which will include the compiled bin files.
Sounds like a very good policy. This way the good solid versions are available as flash version, and the Beta version are there for experimenting.
Is there any time schedule you are aiming for? I am still at R78, but would love to have the rules available! Makes a world of difference in the possibilities.

NietGiftig
Normal user

#12 Post by NietGiftig » 01 Jul 2016, 10:34

manjh wrote: This way the good solid versions are available as flash version, and the Beta version are there for experimenting.
Hm, not many outstanding issues for the latest beta.
2 pull requests, 1 for an corrected header
Better use the latest beta.
If you are able to that (compiling guides enough)

Less errors than the so called stable, see all the bugfixes / improvements since r78
https://github.com/ESP8266nu/ESPEasy/bl ... eNotes.ino

Beta, whats in a name in continuous developing software

sheppy
Normal user

#13 Post by sheppy » 01 Jul 2016, 10:44

I will experiment again early next week to see if I can get a successful compile. A quick google suggests each sketch can be made to work with its preferred library by moving the newer version libraries into the sketch directory of the sketch that needs them, and then keeping the libraries shipped with the released version in its sketch directory. I seem to remember doing a similar trick with DLL's back in the WIndows 3 days

sheppy
Normal user

#14 Post by sheppy » 05 Jul 2016, 03:20

I've managed to get V108 loaded, so let the testing begin :-)

For anyone following on I downloaded the non installed version V1.6.8 of the Arduino Windows Software into its own folder before adding the libraries from the released version of ESP Easy as per the wiki. I then downloaded R108 Beta and put it into its own folder, which has to end in a subfolder called "ESPEasy", (if it doesn't the Arduino software will put it there but WITHOUT the rest of the files which need to be added manually.) I then loaded V 2.1.0 of the ESP2066 module from Boards Manager, and had a successful compile and install onto my Wemos D1 Mini.

NietGiftig
Normal user

#15 Post by NietGiftig » 05 Jul 2016, 11:21

sheppy wrote:I've managed to get V108 loaded.
You see, you must invest some time & do some searching.
But if it works for others....

And I am sure someone else finds your explanation helpful