Noob issues with connecting SOLVED

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

dr pepper
New user

Noob issues with connecting SOLVED

#1 Post by dr pepper » 22 Jul 2016, 10:11

I have a wemos D1 ver 1.

I loaded espeasy firmware to it no problem, then I was able to connect to esp_0 using my smartphone, the page I got just asked for my ssid and password nothing else, when I entered these esp_0 vanished and now I'm unable to find the esp device, I assume some settings have changed.

I have tried running code to clear the esp's eeprom and reburning espeasy firmware but nothing will work.

Have I bricked my device?
Last edited by dr pepper on 26 Jul 2016, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

tozett
Normal user

Re: Noob issues with connecting

#2 Post by tozett » 22 Jul 2016, 11:07

may try to flash other firmware to check if bricked?

https://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/dev/en/flash/

dduley
Normal user

#3 Post by dduley » 22 Jul 2016, 20:12

dr pepper wrote:I have a wemos D1 ver 1.

I loaded espeasy firmware to it no problem, then I was able to connect to esp_0 using my smartphone, the page I got just asked for my ssid and password nothing else, when I entered these esp_0 vanished and now I'm unable to find the esp device, I assume some settings have changed.

I have tried running code to clear the esp's eeprom and reburning espeasy firmware but nothing will work.

Have I bricked my device?
Hi dr pepper,

I have had similar issues. Sometimes the initial access point mode won't tell you what the new IP address is after you enter the SSID and PWD. What I usually do is wait for a few second and then reset the ESP. Then I used my Android tablet to do a scan of my network. I have my DHCP range set up so it is always in a narrow band of available IP addresses. Usually I will see that a new DHCP address has been assigned.
If you have cleared your ESP and re-loaded ESPEasy it is highly likely that you didn't really change the area of flash where ESPEasy stores its setup. It seems to be amazingly resilient. I have accidentally flashed the incorrect memory size version and effectively bricked the unit. After connecting with a cable and uploading the corrected version it all came back.

Load a network scanning tool and see if there is a new entry to your DHCP table.
Also make sure that you are loading the correct memory size for the version of ESP8266 module you are using. I use the ESP8266-07s and the ESP8266-12Es. The former is only 1024K while the latter is 4096K

Regards

Dave

tozett
Normal user

#4 Post by tozett » 22 Jul 2016, 20:16

my try to erase flash complete like here: http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1732#p8014

think to make a cold-boot (poweroff) after flashing. not directly after flashing, give it 2 minutes to erase the flash-area,
but dont forget to cold-reboot the unit. than check again. may this helps..

dr pepper
New user

#5 Post by dr pepper » 22 Jul 2016, 21:14

Thanks for the help so far.
I reflashed the esp, and reloaded espeasy, now I can access ts menu screen on 192.168.0.5, it was initially 192.168.0.4
I misunderstood the easy bit, I'm finding this hard.
I scanned the network, and I think I found the issue, this computer has its own hard wired ap, which talks wirelessly to my cable router, when I do a ip scan I get the ip of this pc and the ap connected to it nothing else, I think this is the problem the ip scanner on this pc for some reason doesnt 'see' the esp, but if I go to its ip address with explorer I get the esp menu system.
I have another pc at the router, but its xp and wont run domoticz, I ran the ip scanner on that machine and it does 'see' the esp.
I think I'm in over my depth here.

dr pepper
New user

#6 Post by dr pepper » 25 Jul 2016, 16:42

OK I got somewhere.
I managed to flash the esp.
I also managed to set it up, if I use explorer and go to 192.168.0.5 I get the menu page for the esp.
Thinking I'd sorted it I tried this on explorer:
http://192.168.0.5/control?cmd=GPIO,10,1
I have an led wired to pin 10 with a 1k to ground.
I also have a serial monitor on the esp wemos board, it says setting pin 10 and resetting pin 10 depending whether I send a 1 or 0.
But the led on pin 10 doesnt change, I have gpio 10 set to default on the esp hardware page, I also tried a couple other pins in case I blew something, but its the same, the led lights on the 3.3v pin so its ok.
Any help please?

tozett
Normal user

#7 Post by tozett » 25 Jul 2016, 16:59

first i took the wrong pins on the wemos,
because the pin-naming is different to pure esp-boards.
may check? http://www.wemos.cc/Products/d1_mini.html

dr pepper
New user

#8 Post by dr pepper » 25 Jul 2016, 18:41

Thanks very much Toz, you were on the right lines.
I'm using a wemos D1, ver1, the obsolete one.
The pin assoigments are different, why I dont know.
For anyone else having this trouble there is a helpfull include file to sort this out:

http://www.wemos.cc/Products/d1.html

Finally I have espeasy working, now to suss out how to do more with it, I'd like to build a remote net connected lcd displat between 2 wemos's.

tozett
Normal user

#9 Post by tozett » 25 Jul 2016, 21:18

cool, gratulations.
may you go into your first post an change the subjekt to something like "SOLVED: ...Noob issues ....." ? ;)