Problem with setup after flashing

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

niwreg
New user

Problem with setup after flashing

#1 Post by niwreg » 17 Oct 2016, 22:09

I've tried to flash the firmware unto an esp01.

Both 120 as 140 (rc3)

After flashing i get an accespoint esp01, so far so good, when i select my ssid and enter the password i keep getting the setup failed redo setup.

I'm 100% sure my ssid and password are correctly entered, i tried to select the ssid as well entry by hand, same result.

Perheps it;s because i've got a rather long ssid because i see weird charachters behind the ssid. (ssid is about 32 characters)

Does anybody has an idea why it wont work?

I tried to use the serial interface but all i got is garbage, (tried 11500/9600/19200)

niwreg
New user

Re: Problem with setup after flashing

#2 Post by niwreg » 13 Dec 2019, 22:43

Hi Guys

it took me 3 years to pick fiddling with esp's up again.
Flashed ESP_Easy_mega-20191208_normal_ESP8266_1M.bin

same problem. However because there is logging i could see it would cut off the last character of my ssid. (yes it is long ;))
Fired up second ssid which was 1 character shorter: instant result. So my 32 character ssid would not work

now comes the fun part: i have the same batch but then with nodemcu and that one connects without a problem.

Any ideas without renaming or have 2 different ssids ?

ThomasB
Normal user

#3 Post by ThomasB » 14 Dec 2019, 00:10

Code: Select all

now comes the fun part: i have the same batch but then with nodemcu and that one connects without a problem.
I'm surprised that nodeMCU works. I looked at WebServer.ino & WebServer_ConfigPage.ino and can see that the SSID is limited to 31 chars on the web form. So your 32 char SSID won't fit in the entry box.
Maybe there is a workaround. Try setting the SSID using serial commands (via USB cable). The command is:

WifiSSID YOUR_SSID_GOES_HERE 
I don't know if this method will accept your 32 chars SSID. But it's worth a try.

As a last resort you could try setting the WiFi parameters using ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe when you flash the bin file. It is provided in the Mega firmware download; Be sure to use the latest Mega release.

- Thomas

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 14 Dec 2019, 16:37

Apparently the SSID can be 32 bytes and we have 32 bytes in the storage, so by just changing the get/set functions, I can make it work with 32 byte SSIDs and it will still be compatible with older settings.

Although when you go back to an older version with the settings using 32 byte SSID, it may crash.

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 14 Dec 2019, 16:43

I added an issue for it and it may very well be that it will be fixed quite soon as I was already working on parts of that code.

See: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/2814

niwreg
New user

#6 Post by niwreg » 17 Dec 2019, 13:35

ThomasB wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 00:10

I'm surprised that nodeMCU works. I looked at WebServer.ino & WebServer_ConfigPage.ino and can see that the SSID is limited to 31 chars on the web form. So your 32 char SSID won't fit in the entry box.
Ah yes but is an very old pre arduino version using lua.
ThomasB wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 00:10
Maybe there is a workaround. Try setting the SSID using serial commands (via USB cable). The command is:

WifiSSID YOUR_SSID_GOES_HERE 
I don't know if this method will accept your 32 chars SSID. But it's worth a try.

As a last resort you could try setting the WiFi parameters using ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe when you flash the bin file. It is provided in the Mega firmware download; Be sure to use the latest Mega release.

- Thomas
Yes tried that as well with the same result.
TD-er wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 16:37 Apparently the SSID can be 32 bytes and we have 32 bytes in the storage, so by just changing the get/set functions, I can make it work with 32 byte SSIDs and it will still be compatible with older settings.

Although when you go back to an older version with the settings using 32 byte SSID, it may crash.
Current version doesn't work for me with current ssid
TD-er wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 16:43 I added an issue for it and it may very well be that it will be fixed quite soon as I was already working on parts of that code.

See: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/2814
me there is no need to go back

thank you, i know i have somewhere a github account but my laptop was dying and i hadn;t have my charger.

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 18 Dec 2019, 09:25

That's correct as the future fix for it has not yet left my computer for its journey to GitHub :)
But if it were to be merged, then actually storing a 32 byte SSID in the settings will make that settings file unusable in older versions of ESPEasy.

niwreg
New user

#8 Post by niwreg » 03 Jan 2020, 21:01

TD-er wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 09:25
That's correct as the future fix for it has not yet left my computer for its journey to GitHub :)
But if it were to be merged, then actually storing a 32 byte SSID in the settings will make that settings file unusable in older versions of ESPEasy.
Can i do something in the form of testing?

TD-er
Core team member

#9 Post by TD-er » 04 Jan 2020, 12:27

The last 2 weeks were quite busy for me as I am moving to another house.
So I have not been programming since 24th of December.
Right now there is nothing for you to test.

niwreg
New user

#10 Post by niwreg » 07 Jan 2020, 13:21

TD-er wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 12:27 The last 2 weeks were quite busy for me as I am moving to another house.
So I have not been programming since 24th of December.
Right now there is nothing for you to test.
ah alright! goodluck with moving!