Interference problem with multiple devices

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Pichon
New user

Interference problem with multiple devices

#1 Post by Pichon » 29 Oct 2016, 08:23

Hi, I'm new to ESP Easy. I am using R120 with 2 NodeMCU''s and Home Assistant, using the OpenHAB MQTT protocol.

I have two NodeMCU's, each with a DS18B20 temperature sensor and an LED. Each has a unique system name (Node1 and Node2), so the MQTT topics are unique. When Node1 is plugged in, the switch in my automation controller to turn the LED on and off works fine. When Node2 is plugged in, it works fine. When both are plugged in at the same time, the switches won't switch most of the time and the temperature isn't coming through very reliably. It seems like they interfere with each other even though they are setup to use different topics.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks!

Ton_vN
Normal user

Re: Interference problem with multiple devices

#2 Post by Ton_vN » 29 Oct 2016, 10:31

;-) Just a guess, to be checked:
for the temperatures and for the switches coming from the ESPs, do you really apply completely separate names/indexes/topics in HomeAssistent?
If there is any overlap, you can expect collisions.

papperone
Normal user

#3 Post by papperone » 29 Oct 2016, 13:41

Did you assign different device number to each node?
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Pichon
New user

#4 Post by Pichon » 29 Oct 2016, 17:55

Ton_vN wrote:;-) Just a guess, to be checked:
for the temperatures and for the switches coming from the ESPs, do you really apply completely separate names/indexes/topics in HomeAssistent?
If there is any overlap, you can expect collisions.
The topics are Node1/Temp/Temperature and Node2/Temp/Temperature for the temperature. The switches are Node1/Switch1/Switch and Node2/GarageDoor/Switch. Would that not be different enough to avoid collisions?
papperone wrote:Did you assign different device number to each node?
Names? Yes. Device numbers? I don't know where/how I would do that. Is it on the config page?

papperone
Normal user

#5 Post by papperone » 29 Oct 2016, 20:10

Yes, in config tab is called "unit nr.".
By default all units are labelled as '0', try to set this value different for each node.
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

poudenes
Normal user

#6 Post by poudenes » 14 Nov 2019, 10:36

This is a old topic but I have same sort of problem.

It seems that the touch (pogo pin) interference with OpenHAB MQTT Protocal. It sounds so crazy but When MQTT is enabled my pogo pin react on nothing (in rules when touch is 1 then turn led to green) and I see lots of green and red leds over the day without touch the location.

Unit numbers are different, topic names are different.

I'm now disabled the OpenHAB MQTT and since then (and at moment of writing) I dont see ghost touches on the pin.

Can someone tell me this is a crazy tough or can this explained?

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 14 Nov 2019, 11:30

Could it be that there are also messages from the broker which do trigger the state of the switch input, which generates an event etc.?
To me it would make sense if the output state of a pin can only be set from the controller, but I think it somehow also allows to set input pins, which do not make sense.

Maybe something like this is happening?

Also make sure you do have a "hard" value at the input pin.
So use pull-up or pull-down resistors to force a pin into a certain state and don't leave them "floating", especially with long wired connected to them.