beginners problems

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

maluko
Normal user

beginners problems

#1 Post by maluko » 02 Nov 2016, 13:33

hi people,

Is with very pleased to see the development of this good project, which has brought a economic and intuitive fresh air in the area IOT.

With this also benefiting from the equipment comes to the end users that do not need advanced knowledge of electronics.
But any project has to have a good background to expose doubts and good wiki for tutorials, I recognize that there has to be much willingness to keep everything even upgraded, even more being an opensource project, but lately I have detected a lot of unwillingness to answer certain questions the forum for who we should consider beginners, like me.

it is true that certain questions that are asked, are for many of the developers a very easily information, and in this sense considered worthless to answer, getting the beguinners a wait sometimes exasperating to be clarified (sometimes never).
Also you can call into question the search in the forum on but I think that the search does not work in the best way because it often appears: "The Following words in your search query Were ignored because They are too common words" and becomes hard find some information.

With all this do not mean to criticize any member of staff, because I think if I could help the best we can, even if it is responding not know how.

I am a curious of these experiences that I have not done career in this area but I love tinkering and testing new things in this area of IOT.

Thanks Martinus for all good work you done to this project.

sorry by my english, its google fault ;)

Everette Burriss
New user

Re: beginners problems

#2 Post by Everette Burriss » 03 May 2017, 16:44

Yeah, they never do that.
I just need to compare rice cookers and make up my mind. I wish to become a better cook.

costo
Normal user

#3 Post by costo » 03 May 2017, 16:50

First: As a beginner we expect from you that you read in on the topic and asks a specific question.
Only then you can expect a valuable answer.

Nobody wants to put valuable time in such general questions like for instance : my esp does not work. What can I do.

Second: Some questions cannot be answered. A fool can ask more questions than a dozen wise men can give the answer on.

toffel969
Normal user

#4 Post by toffel969 » 03 May 2017, 17:03

maluko wrote: 02 Nov 2016, 13:33 hi people,

Is with very pleased to see the development of this good project, which has brought a economic and intuitive fresh air in the area IOT.

With this also benefiting from the equipment comes to the end users that do not need advanced knowledge of electronics.
But any project has to have a good background to expose doubts and good wiki for tutorials, I recognize that there has to be much willingness to keep everything even upgraded, even more being an opensource project, but lately I have detected a lot of unwillingness to answer certain questions the forum for who we should consider beginners, like me.

it is true that certain questions that are asked, are for many of the developers a very easily information, and in this sense considered worthless to answer, getting the beguinners a wait sometimes exasperating to be clarified (sometimes never).
Also you can call into question the search in the forum on but I think that the search does not work in the best way because it often appears: "The Following words in your search query Were ignored because They are too common words" and becomes hard find some information.

With all this do not mean to criticize any member of staff, because I think if I could help the best we can, even if it is responding not know how.

I am a curious of these experiences that I have not done career in this area but I love tinkering and testing new things in this area of IOT.

Thanks Martinus for all good work you done to this project.

sorry by my english, its google fault ;)
I am not a developper, I'm just trying to help out here and there in the wiki and the forum.

I get what you are trying to say, however I disagree. So many questions in the forum could be answered by reading the wiki... People ask for help on the forum without ever using the search function (by the way google is your friend, also for searching within the ESPeasy forum). Also there are these ones thats to lazy to program their own rules, despite an excellent tutorial in the wiki, and ask other people on the forum to do it for them.

Now, if I get annoyed with these things, I can only try to imagine what developers must feel like. They already invest so much of their time into this great project, sharing their life time for everyone... I really don't see how they must waste time on first level support on questions that have already been answered 5 times. Actually I would hate it, as it will just take precious development time.

I have not expierienced, that the developers don't respond to "real" issues - they always do.

If you are not willing to read/learn/ figure it out yourself, there are always commercial IOT projects, then IMHO ESPeasy is just not for you
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

Shardan
Normal user

#5 Post by Shardan » 03 May 2017, 17:45

Hello,

to keep that clear: I'm not a developer of ESPEasy.

For a general understanding why some posts might not receive answers please remember:

The dev's do this at their spare time, it is not their job neither they get paid for it.

There is a lot of documentation here in the forum and in the wiki.
Yes i know, it is not complete, it might be a bit outdated here and there... anyways.
There is even a lot more general info in the net.
(BTW.... how's about helping with the wiki? it needs no witchcraft.
Even just a hint "This might be outdated / missing / wrong...." helps.)

If for example i read the 7th request "How to flash an ESPxyz" it's clear that person
never used the search function. Not in the forum, not in the wiki and neither in the interweb.

Does such a person really demand an answer?
From people offering their unpaid spare time to develop ESPEasy?
My oh my.

Can you imagine how time consuming it is, to answer the same questions again and again?

Again: The developers give their free time to make the program.
Everyone should play fair and give at least the effort to search forum, wiki and net and get a bit inside ESPEasy.
Yes, it takes time. Yes, that might cost some bucks. So what?
You will need this knowledge sooner or later anyways!

I can tell you another reason for some posts not getting answered.
A post "I have problem XYZ".
Answer "Do abc to solve it".
And then it goes "I don't want this solution, it is to expensive / complex / <whatever> and what i did is much simpler / cheaper / <whatever>".
Some days later: "It still does not work / is unstable / <whatever>."
Oh rly? Too bad. Would you answer again?

To my experience the devs answer quite quick to problems.
I really can understand they don't do for some questions, for possible reasons see above.

I'm no programmer, my programming years are decades ago and my knowledge is outdated.
I can't help with coding, bugs in the code and such. I'll keep quiet with that usually as i would give bad advice.
Where ever possible I try to help with hardware, as that's the job outside the forum i'm experienced in.

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

psy0rz
Normal user

#6 Post by psy0rz » 04 May 2017, 00:02

I'm a developer and i agree with the last few answers above.

For developers its even a bit different: we're focussing on developing ESPEasy, fixing issues and adding features.

I sometimes scan the forum, and I ignore the support questions that can be answered by one of the many competent people on our forums.

I usually only respond if I think there is a bug, or if its a code-related question.

Also keep in mind, that when i'm developing on ESPEasy, I can work one on bug or feature for a hours at a time. Sometimes I start at 21 oclock and before i know it its 2 at night. :P And thats just coding and leaves 0 time to interact on the forum or issue tracker.

So its not that I dont care to answer, its just a matter of time management and letting the right people handle the right things.
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

psy0rz
Normal user

#7 Post by psy0rz » 04 May 2017, 00:18

lol..i've clicked your name to see what you asked, and i found this:

https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 481#p15481

You asked something, I saw it was a bug, and i fixed it immediately and answered you. :)
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

lucaberta
Normal user

#8 Post by lucaberta » 04 May 2017, 02:18

psy0rz wrote: 04 May 2017, 00:18 You asked something, I saw it was a bug, and i fixed it immediately and answered you. :)
well, the original post is dated November 2016, so I would presume that over the last few months maluko has grown the knowledge of ESPEasy to provide with good feedback on a bug which you fixed right away.

So something good has been achieved, in terms of his knowledge. I have a hunch that the forum has a lot to do with it! ;)

L

maluko
Normal user

#9 Post by maluko » 04 May 2017, 23:00

hey guys
Although I am not very good at understanding the English language, I understand everything that you have tell, but it was written with the preposito to alert for situations that were happening in the forum / wiki at there time. Although I do not belong to the programmer career I can understand every time spent by any professional when he gives the best in his area, I have been following the martinus in the evolution of this project, as well as giving some suggestions, bugs, debugging to some begginer and even sharing projects that I did for myself.

Unfortunately there are people who come, ask what they want and leave but these people exist everywhere.
If I analyze my internet traffic I'm sure to have a surprise because I enter the forum more times than I thought :)

And I will conclude with this:

All I can give is what I can do so I will always be available to learn whenever necessary.

psy0rz wrote: 04 May 2017, 00:18 lol..i've clicked your name to see what you asked, and i found this:

https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... 481#p15481

You asked something, I saw it was a bug, and i fixed it immediately and answered you.

Thanks psy0rz i have seen that you aswer me lol, btw i dont use platorfomio so my question for bin, (i has used arduino).

edit: like lucaberta said this post is from Nov/2016