Problems configuring ESPEasy node with LCD

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

robatbentley
Normal user

Problems configuring ESPEasy node with LCD

#1 Post by robatbentley » 23 Mar 2017, 19:47

I'm trying to setup an LCD (20x4) to display my BME280 temp+humidy+pressure values. Been following guidelines here (https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/LCDDisplay) but not having much luck in actually displaying sensor values. ...but I do have good values for Uptime, System Time and IP. I've never done this before and think I may have missed some basic concept as to how this works. My current setup is that I have 2 x ESPEasy nodes: one with a BME280 attached (and working just fine with it's connectivity to Domoticz) and another node with an LCD connected to it Now, I guess that this isn't the right way to go as surely I'd need to reference the sensor readings from a different node and would, therefor, need to place an IP address in the LCD formatting (tried this but liited formatting to add IP addresses).

So, should I either... (a) be connecting my LCD to the same node as the BME280? ...along with issues that they're both I2C and would need to be connected to the same SDA and SCL pins? or (b) somehow configuring Domoticz to send the data to the node with LCD?

Great fun but I need a dummys guide to ESPEasy...
RobUpNorth

Shardan
Normal user

Re: Problems configuring ESPEasy node with LCD

#2 Post by Shardan » 23 Mar 2017, 20:46

robatbentley wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 19:47 I'm trying to setup an LCD (20x4) to display my BME280 temp+humidy+pressure values. Been following guidelines here (https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/LCDDisplay) but not having much luck in actually displaying sensor values. ...but I do have good values for Uptime, System Time and IP. I've never done this before and think I may have missed some basic concept as to how this works. My current setup is that I have 2 x ESPEasy nodes: one with a BME280 attached (and working just fine with it's connectivity to Domoticz) and another node with an LCD connected to it Now, I guess that this isn't the right way to go as surely I'd need to reference the sensor readings from a different node and would, therefor, need to place an IP address in the LCD formatting (tried this but liited formatting to add IP addresses).

So, should I either... (a) be connecting my LCD to the same node as the BME280? ...along with issues that they're both I2C and would need to be connected to the same SDA and SCL pins? or (b) somehow configuring Domoticz to send the data to the node with LCD?

Great fun but I need a dummys guide to ESPEasy...
Hello,

for some clarity: I²C is a so called "bus system". On a bus you can connect several devices together so it is no problem to connect a BME280 and a LC2004 at same time. These devices have a unique address so the ESP can address every single device. The only thing you should watch: Addresses have to be unique. Two devices with same address will run into troubles.
Practically you may just connect the SDA and SCL wires from one device to the other in parallel.

But anyways the solution with two nodes is possible too. The magic word is "Global Sync".
There is a small howto hidden in the Wiki: https://letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/EasyGlobalSync

Also you may have a look to this thread: https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2820
I've described the steps for configuring there.

Some important points:

For example let's assume the BME280 is configured on node "A" in task 1 of the device list.
On node "B" under any circumstances leave the task 1 empty!
Configure the LCD to task 2 or higher, but do NOT use task 1 !

The reason for this is that activating global sync will mirror the task 1 from node "A" to node "B" in the same task as the sensor is configured to.
On node "B" the task 1 will be filled by the task 1 of node "A" based on this example.

When configuring Global Sync, cold boot both ESP nodes after configuration.
Says: Don't just reset them, power off, wait some seconds and power on again.

When configuring, be patient! It can take some minutes until the values show up in the second node.
Sometimes it may need some restarting of the nodes to get them in sync.

Hope that helps a bit

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

robatbentley
Normal user

#3 Post by robatbentley » 23 Mar 2017, 21:00

Thanks Shardan. I'll dig into this tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Think I'd much prefer the seperate nodes for LCD and BME280 so that I can locate them appropriately and switch off the LCD when not required.
Thanks again...
RobUpNorth

robatbentley
Normal user

#4 Post by robatbentley » 24 Mar 2017, 16:08

All sorted. Thanks for references and explanations. Should have loads of fun with this feature.
RobUpNorth

Shardan
Normal user

#5 Post by Shardan » 24 Mar 2017, 16:34

Anytime :)
Regards
Shardan

robatbentley
Normal user

#6 Post by robatbentley » 24 Mar 2017, 17:50

On a minor point, my LCD is displaying Temperature, Humidity and Pressure but I can't seem to manage the number of decial places and, in fact, I'd like to remove all decimal places for the pressure. I've set the device task configs to the appropriate 1 or 0 decimal places but the LCD is still displaying them as 2 DPs. Just to note that the Device Task summary values (in green boxes) are displaying correctly. Any suggestions?

Update: I think I've answered my own question. I updated the different device tasks that were visible from each NodeMCU node and made sure that all of the entries for decimal places were set accordingly. It seems, and I need to confirm this, that if any of the views of Device/task (seen from any of the NodeMCUs) were set to 2 DPs then this would over-ride the LCD display settings. Strange behaviour but I've managed, somehow, to solve my formatting issue.
RobUpNorth