DOes a separate guest network make sense?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

manjh
Normal user

DOes a separate guest network make sense?

#1 Post by manjh » 06 Sep 2017, 13:39

I currently have 12 individual ESP units running, and still increasing. They all connect using the same Wifi net as I use for laptops, tablets and phones.
My router (Netgear R7000) has the option to set up a separate "guest" network.
Would it make sense to start that guest network just for use by the ESP units? What would be the benefits? Anything on the downside?

ManS-H
Normal user

Re: DOes a separate guest network make sense?

#2 Post by ManS-H » 06 Sep 2017, 15:12

+1, i have the same question.

manjh
Normal user

#3 Post by manjh » 06 Sep 2017, 22:55

I realize this may not be an explicit yes/no question, but it would be nice to open the discussion and get some opinions about pro's and cons...

toffel969
Normal user

#4 Post by toffel969 » 07 Sep 2017, 21:23

It depends if you need to communicate with an ethernet device(like domoticz server), AFAIK on most routers ethernet devices are not available from guest wifi.
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

manjh
Normal user

#5 Post by manjh » 07 Sep 2017, 21:27

toffel969 wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 21:23 It depends if you need to communicate with an ethernet device(like domoticz server), AFAIK on most routers ethernet devices are not available from guest wifi.
Ah, good point. I would have to test that.
But supposing that is possible, what other pro's and cons can you think of?

papperone
Normal user

#6 Post by papperone » 07 Sep 2017, 23:08

guest network and private network are separate and not accessible each other (think of them like 2 separate networks) if not with complex system, but then if you make them able to communicate what's the advantage of??
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

randytsuch
Normal user

#7 Post by randytsuch » 08 Sep 2017, 00:55

An advantage would be to reduce the data bandwidth used by the ESPs on your wifi network.

But ESPs running ESP easy, reporting switch closures, temperatures, etc hardly use any bandwidth.

My kids watching youtube and face timing, etc, those are the bandwidth hogs.

Compared to listening the music and watching videos, a bunch of ESPs will be in the noise when comparing the data traffic.

Randy

papperone
Normal user

#8 Post by papperone » 08 Sep 2017, 01:10

randytsuch wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 00:55 An advantage would be to reduce the data bandwidth used by the ESPs on your wifi network.

But ESPs running ESP easy, reporting switch closures, temperatures, etc hardly use any bandwidth.

Compared to listening the music and watching videos, a bunch of ESPs will be in the noise when comparing the data traffic.

Randy
seriously?? it's still "one router" so you won't "reduce data bandwidth used by the ESPs", they will use the same bandwidth no matter where they are connected to!
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Shardan
Normal user

#9 Post by Shardan » 08 Sep 2017, 14:49

randytsuch wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 00:55 An advantage would be to reduce the data bandwidth used by the ESPs on your wifi network.

Randy
Definitely no.
Bandwith is limited by transmitter, receiver and antenna system (standard, mimo, multi-mimo..).
A separate network on the same router uses the same components so bandwith is shared between the wifi `s.

A "guest net" usually says that your guests have interet access but no access to your devices.
This will suppose your esp devices to the internet and make them unreachable from your wifi or ethernet devices.

I'd really think twice about that.....

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan

ManS-H
Normal user

#10 Post by ManS-H » 08 Sep 2017, 15:38

Shardan wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 14:49

Randy
Definitely no.
Bandwith is limited by transmitter, receiver and antenna system (standard, mimo, multi-mimo..).
A separate network on the same router uses the same components so bandwith is shared between the wifi `s.

A "guest net" usually says that your guests have interet access but no access to your devices.
This will suppose your esp devices to the internet and make them unreachable from your wifi or ethernet devices.

I'd really think twice about that.....

Regards
Shardan
Clear, i known what to do. Keep my config alive.

manjh
Normal user

#11 Post by manjh » 08 Sep 2017, 15:46

Sounds ok. At least we've now thought about it!