Very Slow to no response

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

wurlitzer28
New user

Very Slow to no response

#1 Post by wurlitzer28 » 13 Jan 2018, 16:53

Flashed a basic Sonoff 4 days ago and everything went well on its end. Super easy IMO.

Finally got Node-Red, Mosquitto talking and set up a dashboard last night. I could make the Sonoff relay cycle on/off via my Android phone. Yaaaay!!!

This morning however the Sonoff no longer will cycle the relay via Node-Red nor my phone EVEN THOUGH both devices show the relay status change.

Logged on to the Sonoff via my browser and switching between the various screens/pages takes about 30+ seconds. It was much faster yesterday.

!!!!!!!!!!! NOTE: If I go to the Tools pages and force a reboot, the Relay can be heard cycling but again very, very, slow communicating.

The WiFi status via the "Devices" page shows -58.00 which is what it was yesterday.

I have a flow in Node-Red which just takes all the values and dumps it to the debug msg screen with each communication from the Sonoff but today no messages seem to be transmitted. Yesterday this worked fine and I could see the status of the PButton gpio/0, the status of gpio/14 [plan to use this in the application], Wifi status and Uptime all in the debug tab of Node-Red.

Anyone have a similar issue and know the cause?

Thanks, Mike

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Very Slow to no response

#2 Post by TD-er » 13 Jan 2018, 23:29

Can you trace the free memory of the device?

And the last builds include some stability fixes. What version did you use?

wurlitzer28
New user

#3 Post by wurlitzer28 » 14 Jan 2018, 15:13

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Build R120 as I was just following an YouTube video made some time ago so it may be old.

Free Memory = 28040

grovkillen
Core team member

#4 Post by grovkillen » 14 Jan 2018, 16:45

R120 is an old build (still the official version though) and we're on our way of releasing the 2.0.0 version as the new official build. We cannot give support for R120 at the moment, please try the latest versions found here:

https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases

Prefix "mega" is the non-stable version... it's fairly stable but we cannot guarantee it.
Prefix "v2.0" is the stable version that you might want to try.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

wurlitzer28
New user

#5 Post by wurlitzer28 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:56

Thank you for the link. I will give this a try.

wurlitzer28
New user

#6 Post by wurlitzer28 » 14 Jan 2018, 17:57

Ok tried flashing ESP_Easy_mega-20180114_test_ESP8266_1024 and the flash finished with no reported errors.

Rebooted the Sonoff, and the ESPEasy_0 network appeared.

Entered: "configesp" to log into that network

Got the setup screen, selected my network and entered my password

Waited for the requested time out

Nothing beyond that. No new IP address shows up on my network. The ESPEasy_0 network still exists but I cannot get any response from 192.168.4.1

grovkillen
Core team member

#7 Post by grovkillen » 14 Jan 2018, 18:06

Tried power off/on?

wurlitzer28
New user

#8 Post by wurlitzer28 » 14 Jan 2018, 18:16

Yes, I did try numerous power off/on.

I'll go through the flash process once more and if it does not succeed, I just retry the R120 build.

Thanks for replying.

wurlitzer28
New user

#9 Post by wurlitzer28 » 14 Jan 2018, 19:04

No joy on flashing with the latest build and now attempting to go back to build R120 I cannot go past entering my home WiFi SSD/Password while attached to ESP_0. I wait until the timer counts down to zero but nothing after that works.

The only thing differed in the ESP_0 setup is now the device name is newdevice instead of Sonoff.

No unidentified IP addresses appear on my home network so it looks like this Sonoff is toast.

grovkillen
Core team member

#10 Post by grovkillen » 14 Jan 2018, 19:20

Nah, I don't think so. Hook it up to a serial monitor, you can use powershell for that. See if you get any messages on that.

grovkillen
Core team member

#11 Post by grovkillen » 14 Jan 2018, 19:21

First, save this code snippet to a file called (for example) TEST.ps1 , change the com port number to fit your setup....

$DelaySeconds=60
$period = [timespan]::FromSeconds($DelaySeconds)
$port=new-Object System.IO.Ports.SerialPort COM8,115200,None,8,one
$StartTime = Get-Date
$port.Open()
$port.WriteLine(“Settings”)
while ((Get-Date) - $StartTime -lt $period){
$message=$port.ReadLine()
Write-Output $message
}
$port.Close()

You then browse to that folder using the command line, type in this line:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy bypass -NoProfile -Command TEST.ps1

FrankCuijpers
New user

#12 Post by FrankCuijpers » 18 Feb 2020, 12:50

Hello,

I currently face the same issue as described by Wurlitzer28 in the first message on this Forum item: my ESP01 with Relay board is responding very slow to no response at all. Yesterday it work very well, fast response and looks ok.
At the moment I had a non-responding ESP and I tried to connect to it via de Web-Interface and after multiple time I got connected again (without rebooting the ESP by myself). When I then look into the status of the MCU it states:
UPTIME: more than 5days,
Load: 5.60%
Freemem: 19008,
Free Stack: 3600,
Heap Max free Block: 14856
Heap fragmentation 24%
Boot: Cold Boot (0)
Reset Reason: Power On
last Task: Background Task
SW WD count: 0

Wifi RSSI: -59dB
Connected: more than 5days
Number of Reconnects: 0

The build I use is mega-20191208 (normal).

I don't understand by the ESP is not responsing or being very slow in responsing when the System Info shows no issues or reconnections or reboots at all... I would expect that if there is a power issue (which is claimed in many topics being the issue when having bad connection) the number of reconnects or UPTIME is showing something...

Can someone give me some directions where to look at? or what to log to find the "performance" issue?

Many thanks!

BR,
Frank

grovkillen
Core team member

#13 Post by grovkillen » 18 Feb 2020, 14:09

Is it behaving the same for mobile and desktop? I got the feeling my phone isn't connecting as delicate as the desktop and I rarely get the idling frontend.

TD-er
Core team member

#14 Post by TD-er » 18 Feb 2020, 15:46

Check also to see if there may be other devices on the network using the same IP-address.

I have had one issue here where the ESP was somehow unable to receive DHCP updates and in the mean time the DHCP server was no longer considering it as an used IP in its DHCP pool.

You can try enabling to send Gratuitous ARP requests in the tools=>Advanced page. (doesn't need a reboot for that)

FrankCuijpers
New user

#15 Post by FrankCuijpers » 21 Feb 2020, 13:08

Thanks for the replies!

yes the behaviour is the same when using a mobil phone or desktop. It is really the connectivity of the ESP with wifi => No response or very slow response from the ESP.

I have a static ip-address set on my router for the ESP mac address. Also I have set the same address as static in the ESP. Therefore I assume that the IP address is only used by the ESP.
But ofcourse I can try the ARP hint. I was not aware this was available. I will try and let you know.

Maybe it is the power issue, which disturbs the wifi connection, but doesn't result into disconnection or ESP voltage drop.. Any experience with this? What kind of capacitor should I use between GND and VCC? 47uF / 10uF? also a small one to filter high frequency noice? some pF??

Thanks for any support!

BR,
Frank

TD-er
Core team member

#16 Post by TD-er » 21 Feb 2020, 13:26

Well when in doubt about the stability of the power, you can do several things, depending on the module used.

Try stabilize the 5V or compensate for improper USB cabling, when using for example a Wemos D1 mini or NodeMCU.
This can be something like 200 - 470 uF over the 5V.
That should be enough to prevent voltage drops during the highest peaks like RF calibration.

You may also try to add the same on the 3V3 line, but be aware that an empty capacitor is similar to a short circuit when it is initially charged.
So do not use too large capacitors on boards which have a very under powered voltage regulator.
Some of these boards only have a 150 mA SOT23 packaged regulator, which is too low for keeping the 3V3 line stable during RF calibration.
Adding 10uF or 22uF over the 3V3 may be useful then, but it is probably too small for keeping it stable and may already be too high for the initial charge of these.

For all sensors it is good practice to have 100 nF as close as possible to the sensor's voltage/GND lines as possible. (maybe not for 1wire sensors though)