OTA update for ESP Easy?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

mkotek
Normal user

OTA update for ESP Easy?

#1 Post by mkotek » 20 Dec 2015, 16:49

I know this has already discussed, but with dynamic development of ESP Easy by Martinus, this is getting more and more important.
With high number of releases bringing all important and useful features, the issue of no OTA updates is really something I see as a problem.

Of course, when we are using ESPs for test purposes only, this is not a problem, but when the appliances are being built and deployed, it requires the device to be disconnected and exchanged for a new one or just pulled, upgraded and deployed again.

Is there any chance we could restart the discussion about OTA update functionality? I know, this is not doable with old ESP-01 modules due to small size of Flash, but at least for ESP-12E and newer ESP-01, this would be a long term solution. What's your take on this issue?
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

BertB
Normal user

Re: OTA update for ESP Easy?

#2 Post by BertB » 20 Dec 2015, 18:06

Well, I am the proud owner of a lot of these small wonders of technology, 7 of which are actually doing something useful.
For me, it would be a real help to have something like OTA.
Then I am willing to take for granted that this will not be possible for types with small memories.

Martinus

Re: OTA update for ESP Easy?

#3 Post by Martinus » 21 Dec 2015, 17:52

I've checked current OTA status according to the documentation.

The earlier development "Classic OTA" will soon be depricated so it makes no sense investing time there.
And following the documentation on the latest development "ArduinoOTA", it needs Arduino IDE 1.6.7

And then we hit ESP package issue 1066 that Iggr intends to fix in core 2.1.0

Currently the ESP Easy (and I guess a lot of other sketches) don't compile on this version because the new pre-compiler seems to get confused.

So I'll put this on hold until all things have settled more and works with stable environments

(i did a quick test with the basic OTA sketch and it worked, so of course it is nice to have this!)

But as you already mentioned, this will only work for the newer ESP01 module with 1MB flash or the ESP12E.
So all those classic ESP-01 and ESP12 users won't benefit from this development.

And then we'll have to see it this does not conflict with server processes already running at the ESP, because I'm pretty sure that it has a limit somewhere. Already asked about this on the esp8266.com forum, but never got an answer.