Amazon Echo dot

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

hans65
Normal user

Amazon Echo dot

#1 Post by hans65 » 19 Mar 2018, 17:04

Hi,

I'm new here and I was wondering, is it possible to use a sonoff 20 with ESPEasy firmware with a Amazon echo dot? I've flashed it but I can't see it on the Echo dot app

Thanks

Hans

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: Amazon Echo dot

#2 Post by grovkillen » 19 Mar 2018, 17:33

Nothing on the wiki is indicating that ESPEasy is Echo Dot compatible... Why do you expect that?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

hans65
Normal user

#3 Post by hans65 » 19 Mar 2018, 18:42

I could actually emulate a Wemo Switch with some firmware and was thinking, there is also a device like this to emulate with this firmware. I would only need a smart home device.

Shardan
Normal user

#4 Post by Shardan » 19 Mar 2018, 19:38

For short:
At this time there is no support for Alexa, Siri & co.

Well, no direct support.
It might be possible to use a home controller like domoticz or fhem for that.
The FHEM server has a developing support for alexa at least, other systems might have too, i don't know.
Regards
Shardan

AndrewJ
Normal user

#5 Post by AndrewJ » 19 Mar 2018, 21:23

Shardan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:38 For short:
At this time there is no support for Alexa, Siri & co.

Well, no direct support.
It might be possible to use a home controller like domoticz or fhem for that.
The FHEM server has a developing support for alexa at least, other systems might have too, i don't know.
Also other home controller systems are developing links to this (and equivalent voice controls such as Google). Examples which I'm aware of include Home Assistant and OpenHAB, and I dare say there are others too. Though I know nothing more than that (yet!) as I haven't tried any of the voice systems. I have Home Assistant in use, but not any voice system connected to it.

There's a considerable amount of processing to be done in this, so a "central" system with some power (Raspberry Pi at the very least) seems the place for it, with communication to and from individual node devices such as ESP's which have far less processing power.

The ability to connect direct to Alexa etc could be a good (future) development of ESPEasy/uPyEasy to keep it/them up in the forefront of home automation systems, as there seems to be currently an upsurge in interest in voice control. Easy connection (ideally the ability to be "discovered" by such a system) would be a bonus, but I've no idea how much effort it would take.