Configuring ESPEasy

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

rowan.bradley
Normal user

Configuring ESPEasy

#1 Post by rowan.bradley » 15 Apr 2018, 17:24

I'm trying to use ESPEasy for the first time. I have bought an ESP8266 module, and a uSD card (32GB). I have successfully (I believe) flashed the ESPEasy software onto the uSD card. I have successfuly connected to the wireless network ESP_0. I can browse to the device. I selected the SSID of my wireless network (In my case Brightwell), and entered nothing in the Password box (since my network is unsecured), and clicked Connect. After a long delay, it said "This site can’t be reached. 192.168.4.1 took too long to respond.". What is supposed to happen at this point? Am I supposed to reconnect to my normal WiFi network at this point? I tried that, and failed to find anything on the network that looked like the ESPEasy. What am I doing wrong? How do I overcome this, or what can I do to investgate further?

Thanks - Rowan

trojan-tj1
New user

Re: Configuring ESPEasy

#2 Post by trojan-tj1 » 15 Apr 2018, 18:43

Turn on your module ESP so that it connects to your network wi-fi. Now you need to know the IP address that your module received. To do this, go to the web interface of your Internet router and find your module ESP in the list of connected devices - see what kind of IP address was given to it. Next, connect to it on this IP address

grovkillen
Core team member

#3 Post by grovkillen » 15 Apr 2018, 18:51

Fing is a great app to scan your network using your phone. Or you could use me netscan (link in signature).
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 16 Apr 2018, 00:25

Just wondering what you did with the micro SD card.
The ESP module has its own flash storage ranging from 1... 4 MByte.

So I was wondering, what have you actually bought, how is it connected and what version of ESPeasy did you write to the ESP module.
And what tool did you use to write the firmware to the ESP module?

rowan.bradley
Normal user

#5 Post by rowan.bradley » 29 May 2018, 20:17

I'm sorry, I was confusing the ESPeasy with a different module that I bought for a different purpose that required a micro-SD card. The micro-SD card was nothing whatever to do with the ESPeasy.

What I bought was a Wemos Di mini module, which contains an ESP8266MOD, and a CH340G, and a number of other SMDs (mostly passives). It has a micro USB socket, and a Reset push button, at least one LED, and two rows of 8 connection points. I loaded ESPEasy_R120_4096.bin onto it, using ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe. As far as I know the flashing was successful, but I don't know how to test that the device is working correctly, and that the software was correctly loaded.
  1. Are there some tests that I can do to check this?
  2. What is the device supposed to do, without further configuration?
  3. If I connect it to my PC via a USB cable, or to a USB power supply, should I be able to connect to it from my WiFi network?
  4. If it's connected to the PC via USB, should I be able to see it in Device manager? As what?
  5. Should I be able to see it as a WiFi network? Called what?
  6. If I connect to my WiFi access point, should I be able to see it in the Station List? What is it's MAC address? How do I find out it's MAC address?
  7. If I connect to my network router, should I be able to see it as an Attached Device? Again to find it I will need to know it's MAC address (or at least the first three octets of the MAC address).
Thanks - Rowan

grovkillen
Core team member

#6 Post by grovkillen » 29 May 2018, 22:14

If you're using my tool you should be able to set your network credentials and after successful flash you can click on "serial monitor" to see extra info.

rowan.bradley
Normal user

#7 Post by rowan.bradley » 03 Jun 2018, 19:12

Sorry, there are still many things I don't understand:
  1. To use ESP.Easy.Flasher, do I have to flash the unit, even if I've previously done it?
  2. Is there another way of accessing it via a serial port? E.g. can I connect to it using Teraterm? If so, which COM port do I use? And what port settings (baud rate, parity etc.)?
  3. When the device is plugged into my PC, in Device Manager I can see only two COM ports, "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COM8)" and "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COM9)". Is this correct? If not, what do I do about it?
  4. Should I be able to connect to it via WiFi? How? What is its MAC address? Should I be able to browse to it?
Thanks - Rowan

rowan.bradley
Normal user

#8 Post by rowan.bradley » 04 Jun 2018, 12:55

Today I have a third serial port, called "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM4)". Is this anything to do with ESPeasy?

Thanks - Rowan

grovkillen
Core team member

#9 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2018, 13:03

No nothing. The serial programer chip is probably called CH340 or CP2102 or similar.

rowan.bradley
Normal user

#10 Post by rowan.bradley » 05 Jun 2018, 13:22

Where should I be able to see this device? I can't see anything in Device Manager/Ports called CH340 or CP2102 or similar?

If it's not there, what do I do next? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall something?

Thanks - Rowan

grovkillen
Core team member

#11 Post by grovkillen » 05 Jun 2018, 13:32

If you connect your ESP8266 unit to your computer using USB cable, you should be able to see it in the device manager. My Flasher software will also be able to detect it. If not then something is wrong. Maybe you should enlighten us with pictures of the stuff?

TD-er
Core team member

#12 Post by TD-er » 05 Jun 2018, 13:45

Do you have something like a mobile phone connected?