All ESP units unable to log on to router?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

manjh
Normal user

All ESP units unable to log on to router?

#1 Post by manjh » 13 May 2018, 13:55

A very strange situation. Over night, all my ESP units (about 20) have stopped working. I have done an IP network scan, and can see all devices except the ESP units. Since I have a strict rule of assigning statig IP addresses, it is easy for me to see the gap.

I tried to restart two of them by removing the power and restarting them. No improvement. Tried a Sonoff device, the toggle switch worked just fine.

As said, I used the Advanced IP scanner. Also tried a simple "ping". Units were invisible, also from Domoticz.
Everything else was OK, laptops, tablets, phones, all in good working condition with good access to internet.

Then I decided to restart my router (Netgear R7000). After a while it came back to life and the ESP units were visible again at their usual IP address!

So everything is OK now, but I don't like to solve problems this way since it may happen again at some point in time.
I'm not at all sure, but one of the reasons could be a slight powerdip that occurred last night: I noticed that my interactive TV receiver restarted while I was watching TV, for no apparent reason.
Could the router suffer from this dip? Sure. It almost feels like it did not really restart, but somehow refused the static IP logons after that.
But the ESP units did not restart, I checked a couple and their uptime was something like 35600 minutes...

Strange. Does anyone have an experience like this?

mrwee
Normal user

Re: All ESP units unable to log on to router?

#2 Post by mrwee » 13 May 2018, 21:40

Could easily be the power dip. If WiFi is crusial to you, you should put the router on an UPS. They usually handle spikes under-/overpower very well. Have all my AP's on UPS :)

manjh
Normal user

#3 Post by manjh » 14 May 2018, 18:14

mrwee wrote: 13 May 2018, 21:40 Could easily be the power dip. If WiFi is crusial to you, you should put the router on an UPS. They usually handle spikes under-/overpower very well. Have all my AP's on UPS :)
Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately the router takes 230V, which makes a UPS unit not a small investment. If only it was 5V, I could use a fat powerbank. Already do that for a few Arduino units.

grovkillen
Core team member

#4 Post by grovkillen » 14 May 2018, 19:45

Please give me the specs on that router! Must be a power tool router if it need 230VAC ;)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 14 May 2018, 20:40

grovkillen wrote: 14 May 2018, 19:45 Please give me the specs on that router! Must be a power tool router if it need 230VAC ;)
There are a lot of "plugin in" wifi routers.
That means breaking and soldering to make them work on a battery.

grovkillen
Core team member

#6 Post by grovkillen » 14 May 2018, 20:51

Ah, that's true. But the OP stated that the router is a Netgear R7000 which is powered by 12V (3.5A). So not that hard to get a 12V UPS.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighth ... d-p/429971
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

mrwee
Normal user

#7 Post by mrwee » 14 May 2018, 21:36

As long as you ensure the backup solution handles spikes etc.

manjh
Normal user

#8 Post by manjh » 28 May 2018, 13:14

Correct, the R7000 uses an external power supply, so I guess I could set up a 12V UPS at relatively low cost.
On the other hand, this has now happened once in the years that I own this device, so I think I will let it go.
As soon as it starts happening more often I will look into it.