Wifi-connection unstable

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

silmaril
New user

Wifi-connection unstable

#1 Post by silmaril » 07 Dec 2018, 20:16

I am using several D1 mini boards using ESPeasy build mega-20181112_normal_ESP8266_4096 without any issues for measuring different environment sensors.

Only the latest board gives me troubles:
Everything works fine for hours (ranging from 7 to 25 hours), then the device stops sending values via MQTT.
In this state it does not answer pings or HTTP requests any more. My DHCP server shows it as "offline".
I have to hit the device's reset button to get it back to life. After this everything is normal again.

This device uses three switch inputs and one analog input (connected to three phototransistors - the ai is only used to check the voltage levels).
Those values are sent via OpenHAB MQTT every second, so it's much faster than the other boards, which only send their data once per minute.

I already tried several different builds and just updated to today's build mega-20181207.

Do you have any ideas what I could try to get some debug information to identify the root cause of this problem?

Even if I don't know why the WiFi connection is lost, I have noticed something that helps making things worse: it seems that whenever espeasy looses it's WiFi connection, it just gives up and the only way to get it to reconnect is to reset it.
Is this observation correct?
If it is, there might be a feature request in it: could we have espeasy try to reconnect over and over again, whenever WiFi connection is lost? Maybe with a configurable waiting time in between tries?

Thank your very much for your great work!
Rico

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Wifi-connection unstable

#2 Post by TD-er » 08 Dec 2018, 00:36

It is an issue which has been observed by many more.
I would not call it a "known issue", since I don't know what is causing it.

It looks like the ESP is still convinced there is an active WiFi connection, but data communication is impossible.
So somewhere we must be missing some event or update on that.

silmaril
New user

Re: Wifi-connection unstable

#3 Post by silmaril » 10 Dec 2018, 21:28

It looks like I managed to solve the root cause of my problem - two 10µF capacitors did the trick (5V and 3.3V to GND).
The D1 is running for over 60 hours straight now.
Looks like the cheap power supply was a little bit too cheap :o

Now that this problem is no more, I hope that this rule will help the device recover from any WiFi-outages (seems to work on the other devices):

Code: Select all

on MQTT#Disconnected do
  Reboot
endon