Sonoff devices with wifi conection issues

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

PabloVogel
New user

Sonoff devices with wifi conection issues

#1 Post by PabloVogel » 05 Mar 2019, 00:21

Hello

As mentioned elsewhere some sonoff devices (not only basic r2) exhibit wifi and ip problems. I used to believe that they were related to the core 2.5.0, but I tried the minimal_ESP8266_1M_OTA from the nightly builds with the core 2.4.2 with no success.
Compiling the firmware mysel and adding a delay(50) at the end of the loop() remedied the problem. Of course I don't know the side effects of doing so on nodes with lots of sensors and stuff (everything is slower now)

It' s a sonoff basic r1 with a flash id Vendor: 0xE0 Device: 0x4014. Version of ESP: 20103-Mega (downloaded today).

It seems to confirm that some boards need a delay to process the network load, because this same sonoff can't run tasmota 6.2.1 with core 2.5.0 without delay(1), but it works flawlessly with core 2.4.2 for the same firmware. Note that tasmota 6.4.1 adds a delay(50) by default.

ESP easy seems to be heavier and needs more delay.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Sonoff devices with wifi conection issues

#2 Post by TD-er » 06 Mar 2019, 12:27

You can try the latest build, which has an option for "CPU Eco mode"
See https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... l#advanced
It does reduce CPU power and still keeps the device responsive. But for some network traffic (like sending commands to the node) it may miss a few packets.
That's being investigated, but at least it is now possible to do just that delay by checking the "Eco mode". (it's a bit more dynamic than just adding delay(50) )

PabloVogel
New user

#3 Post by PabloVogel » 06 Mar 2019, 21:42

Thank you, with cpu eco mode enabled the sonoff basic works with core 2.5.0.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 07 Mar 2019, 00:34

Great!
Good to hear it is helping stability on those devices.

On the other hand, the fact this does help increase stability does indicate the power supply of the module is a bit under powered.
You may want to consider adding some capacitor then on the 3V3 line to help stabilize the power during high current peaks.

Maybe also check the stability with the relay active, since that one is also drawing some current.

PabloVogel
New user

#5 Post by PabloVogel » 07 Mar 2019, 01:37

Thank you but I don't think it's a power problem as the device I'm experimenting is a sonoff basic powered from the 3.3V pin of a rPi. I've done tests with an esp12e at 2.6V and no problem whatsoever. Even an OTA went smoothly at 2.6V.

Connecting the sonoff basic to linear lab power supply doesn't work. I.E those devices work the same no matter how you power them (their own power source, external power source, etc)