Hardware Watchdog Reboots

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: Hardware Watchdog Reboots

#151 Post by ThomasB » 05 Sep 2019, 18:11

Today Hackaday published information on three of the latest ESP32/8266 exploit vulnerabilities. It seems that hackers can easily cause a WiFi crash. Geez, what a surprise.
https://hackaday.com/2019/09/05/esp8266 ... fi-hacked/

I'm wondering if Expressif's recently patched library will have any affect on our WiFi related crash issues. Even if it doesn't, the information provides more evidence that Expressif's programming bugs will continue to torture us. Ideally, they should publicly release the source files to their cores so the ESP community can help fix the problems.

- Thomas

TD-er
Core team member

#152 Post by TD-er » 05 Sep 2019, 19:45

I just read the same post on HAD.
The session hijack is one that sounds dangerous, but as far as I know we don't even support that specific protocol yet.
The others are active attacks to just crash a node.
Currently you don't need a neighbor with a grudge against your toys for that :(

TD-er
Core team member

#153 Post by TD-er » 06 Sep 2019, 10:36

See also the (15 days old) issue here: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/6436
Core 2.6.0 should be safe. No sure if our latest build already has the fix for it though.

Core 2.5.2 is still vulnerable.

dynamicdave
Normal user

#154 Post by dynamicdave » 18 Sep 2019, 06:55

Just checked one of my Wemos D1 Minis and found it had been running for over 18-days without a reboot.
This one has capacitors (large and small) fitted to the +5V and +3.3V power rails.
ScreenShot095.png
ScreenShot095.png (20.02 KiB) Viewed 165 times

TD-er
Core team member

#155 Post by TD-er » 18 Sep 2019, 09:51

And a fairly recent build I assume?

Tobbes
Normal user

#156 Post by Tobbes » 20 Sep 2019, 11:09

Hello,
I have also trouble with the Hardware Watchdog Reboots.
I use a Counter to measure the water consumption in my house. Every turn around from the water meter is counted via a light barrier from the ESP8266.
Tryed a Wemos D1 and a Nodemcu and both has several reboots over a day. The power plug is a good 2Ah from an Ipad. The device must run over 24h and then I reboot it per rule to reset the counter.
A minute before I reboot, the device send me an email and the values are send to Thingspeak. So the firmware cannot chosen very old, because this features are from the near past.

I tryed the firmware from "mega-20190827" and set "Force WiFi No sleep" to true. The repeater for the wlan connection is directly placed next to the esp8266.
How can I improve the setup to achieve a 24hours running device?

@dynamicdave, would you be so kind to show a photo or sketch from the capacitor hack you use? Maybe this will help in my case too.

Thanks a lot for your work.
Tobbes

TD-er
Core team member

#157 Post by TD-er » 20 Sep 2019, 11:11

Pulse counter may have other issues, since it is using interrupts on a GPIO pin.
So the WDT reboots here may have a different cause than WiFi.

georgep
Normal user

#158 Post by georgep » 20 Sep 2019, 11:46

Tobbes wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 11:09
The repeater for the wlan connection is directly placed next to the esp8266.
How can I improve the setup to achieve a 24hours running device?
I have seen odd things happen with my WiFi if my ESP devices choose to connect to my repeater rather than to my main Wifi [router].

Different repeaters seem to work in different ways - mine (a TP-Link device) repeats the same SSID but the MAC addresses of connected devices (the first three parts) are changed by the repeater; like some weird form of NAT at the MAC address level that I'd sever seen until I bought this repeater!

In my environment I have seen this cause some issues:

1) A connected device can get a different IP address each time it reconnects depending on whether it connects to the repeater or to the router. Depending on your DHCP server you can overcome this by having the server assign the same IP to the two different MAC addresses of each device.

2) If the above "fix" is not applied I have seen some devices rapidly switch between 2 IP addresses (I have no idea why this happens).
As far as I can tell the client sends a DHCP request, but not for the address that it is currently using but for the one it had last time; the server refuses this and offers a different address from the pool, which the client accepts. The next time the client tries to renew (often only a minute later, even with a lease time of several days???) it again appears to ask for the "wrong" address and the loop repeats over and over with the server switching the client between 2 addresses from the pool!!

I've not had time to investigate this in any detail and can only see from the DHCP server logs that something "isn't right" and so the above may not be 100% accurate.

Could you perhaps switch off your repeater and see if the reboots continue in the same way? You may have to relocate the ESP if possible?

Just my experiences and thoughts :) ...
George