Setting up ThinkSpeak

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

garnold
Normal user

Setting up ThinkSpeak

#1 Post by garnold » 19 Aug 2019, 03:32

I'm looking to setup ThinkSpeak as a controller for my project. I'm not exactly sure what the ThingHTTP Name is. How do I get that from my channel that I created on ThinkSpeak? I did check out the documentation on this but didn't find anything on the ThingHTTP Name in there.

https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... ThingSpeak

garnold
Normal user

Re: Setting up ThinkSpeak

#2 Post by garnold » 19 Aug 2019, 13:45

OK, I just pushed forward without the ThingHTTP Name and I'm getting data so I'm really not sure what that field is for. Next question is going to be some help around getting data sent to ThinkSpeak correctly. Here is what I have and what I'm looking to do. The IDX part has me a little confused and I think I have it right but not exactly sure.

In total I have 2 plug-ins. First one is an analog plug-in that I'm using to capture the voltage of my battery. Second one is a BEM280 that is reporting back Temp, Humidity and Pressure. I would like to have this information sent to ThinkSpeak on system boot because I'm looking to use deep sleep so I can run the device off of batteries. For my first test I was sending data to my MQTT server and was doing this with a rule that fired off on MQTT connect. I'm not sure how to do this with ThinkSpeak. I do not need to send the info on a timed schedule, just once on boot so that it will work well with the deep sleep functionally. Below are some pictures of my devices that might help you understand how I have them setup. Currently I do have the information being sent to the controller for testing just to make sure data is getting to ThinkSpeak and will expect to have to change that.

Thank you
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 7.37.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 7.37.04 AM.png (115.08 KiB) Viewed 8502 times
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 7.36.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 7.36.51 AM.png (99.4 KiB) Viewed 8502 times

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: Setting up ThinkSpeak

#3 Post by ThomasB » 19 Aug 2019, 19:06

OK, I just pushed forward without the ThingHTTP Name and I'm getting data so I'm really not sure what that field is for.
AFAIK, the ThingHTTP name can be ignored. In a traditional controller plugin this field would be used for the server's user account name. Instead, Thingspeak only needs the api_key.
In total I have 2 plug-ins. First one is an analog plug-in that I'm using to capture the voltage of my battery. Second one is a BEM280 that is reporting back Temp, Humidity and Pressure. I would like to have this information sent to ThinkSpeak on system boot because I'm looking to use deep sleep so I can run the device off of batteries.
Your application appears to be similar to the one discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6954

Sending two different device value sets with deep sleep installations requires sendToHTTP in rules (thingspeak controller is not used). The noted discussion has information on how to create the rules. But as you will read in it, there appears to be a bug with sendToHTTP that needs to be fixed in order to achieve success.

- Thomas