Information levels

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

glassTransition
New user

Information levels

#1 Post by glassTransition » 06 Jan 2020, 12:29

I am attempting to gather information to understand why a system stops sending data to a remote MQTT site after many hours. I have configured a SYSLOG server on a raspberry pi to collect the clues.

What level should I select for the Log? Is debug dev the most informative?

What about the facility? I presently have it set to daemon. Is that why I'm seeing only MQTT connect and disconnect but not publishing activity?

Thank you!

glassTransition
New user

Re: Information levels

#2 Post by glassTransition » 06 Jan 2020, 22:35

I would be most grateful if the developers would respond to my questions above. I am putting the SYSLOG server in the field and it is difficult to get to.

If there is documentation of these services I would be more than happy to read it, however, I have not been able to find it anyplace. I see mention of "official documenation" throughout the forum, but only the Wiki shows up and it is not very extensive.

Thank you

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 07 Jan 2020, 16:38

Well, I have been more offline than online the past 2 weeks due to moving to a new house, so sorry about that.

Changing the log level will also increase the number of log items and thus also put a bigger strain on the resources used.
So setting it too high, may cause issues on its own and make it harder to see the true cause of what you are looking for.

So I would start with the info level (also includes "error") and only send it to the syslog server you use.
Also enabling it for serial and web will use more resources (although web will only use more resources if you actually read it)

If the node stops sending to the MQTT server, will it then also stop responding to ping?
Is the web page still accessible?
Does the node still write logs to the syslog server after it stopped sending to the MQTT server?

glassTransition
New user

#4 Post by glassTransition » 07 Jan 2020, 18:14

Thank you very much for your response and I'm sorry if I seemed impatient. I only wanted to be prepared in the best way possible to understand and correct the failure.

I will look for answers to your diagnostic questions about ping and so on once this system stops publishing again and will report back.

Thanks again...