Keystroke to reset only wifi settings for changing wifi AP

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

livello
New user

Keystroke to reset only wifi settings for changing wifi AP

#1 Post by livello » 27 Feb 2020, 22:50

Use case: I have preconfigured device with several hardware sensors. I give it to my friend, he wants this device to be connected to his home wifi access point. Default behavior for inaccessible wifi AP is that device enters AP mode and user can connect to it via smartphone. Then user opens default address http://192.168.4.1 and user must enter AP name and AP password manually.

Is there a way to run Wifi selection Wizard like it goes after factory resetting the device? Wifi Selection Wizard is much more simple to use than opening specific address and putting credentials data by hand.

Is there a function inside code of EspEasy that I could run to reset only Wifi Settings?

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: Keystroke to reset only wifi settings for changing wifi AP

#2 Post by ThomasB » 28 Feb 2020, 00:43

Is there a function inside code of EspEasy that I could run to reset only Wifi Settings?
Yes. This is what should happen on the current Mega releases:
1. Confirm your ESPEasy device is working on your network.
2. Delete the SSID from the Config Page. Be sure to press Submit to save the changed config.
3. Give the device to your friend. He takes it home.
4. Your friend turns the device on. The WiFi SSID is missing so it immediately chooses AP mode.
5. Your friend can now connect to the device from his smartphone. The Wifi Setup wizard will appear.
6. Now choose the network and enter the password. Submit. Reboot. Done.

- Thomas

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 28 Feb 2020, 16:14

You can also access the /setup url.
So for example: http://<ip>/setup

It is not linked in the pages, but it should be available for any node.

ThomasB
Normal user

#4 Post by ThomasB » 28 Feb 2020, 18:03

You can also access the /setup url.
So for example: http://<ip>/setup
@TD-er: I tried this on a working mega-20200222 (already has WiFi credentials). All I see is the "WiFi Setup Complete" page; No editing allowed at this URL. In this discussion the OP wants to restart the WiFi setup wizard from AP mode.

- Thomas

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 29 Feb 2020, 16:32

Hmm, that's a bug for sure, as I don't know why it does not allow to select a new wifi config.
Maybe it looks like it does not complete, as it does perform a WiFi scan in the background, which may prevent further connection/actions?
And you should also be able to access it via 192.168.4.1/setup when connected to it when running as an access point.
It should also display a warning in yellow/orange marking on top indicating you're connected to it in AP mode.