Public poll about modem-router brands that work without problem with espeasy and domoticz

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

reza
Normal user

Public poll about modem-router brands that work without problem with espeasy and domoticz

#1 Post by reza » 08 Aug 2020, 11:12

espeasy and domoticz not work well with some brands of modem-router. I want all users to share their experiences here (about modem-router brands)
I have changed 4 models so far and test
my results : (for The same equipment for example same raspberry pi and domoticz and d1mini and espeasy and static ip ...)

DLINK 2730u
problem:after some days , some modules (D1mini) disconnect and can not connect again , just with power on/off (module or router).

ASUS DSL-N10
problem:after some days , some modules (D1mini) disconnect and can not connect again , just with power on/off (module or router).

HUAWEI-HG8546M
problem:delay in send command from domoticz to espeasy(10s or more)

ZYXEL-T10B
not problem and same equipment work well .

i think some brands is good modem but is not good router .

Dick60
Normal user

Re: Public poll about modem-router brands that work without problem with espeasy and domoticz

#2 Post by Dick60 » 08 Aug 2020, 20:57

it is not the model you asked for but have 2 Asus tr-ac5300 as a Aimesh netwerk and works very stable already for years both for DOMTICZ and ESPEASY.
Good luck with your search

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Public poll about modem-router brands that work without problem with espeasy and domoticz

#3 Post by TD-er » 08 Aug 2020, 23:14

Other parameters that may have an effect here:
Use of core build and since the last nightly build the "alt_wifi" build. (try that build if you're experiencing wifi issues)

Also please include this information on nodes with WiFi issues:
- Fixed channel used?
- Gratuitous ARP enabled?
- Force B/G enabled?
- Used WiFi channel
- DHCP or static IP
- Firmware running on access point (if it differs from the original firmware, like OpenWRT etc.)

Zodiac69
Normal user

#4 Post by Zodiac69 » 15 Aug 2020, 16:27

These Routers / AP's i have used without any issues
1. LinkSys WRT54G - Not new, but very stable
2. ASUS RT-N66U
3. Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC Lite

So far i have had no issue with these units and ESPEasy are connecting to them without any issues that i have experianced thus far.

whatsupskip
Normal user

#5 Post by whatsupskip » 06 Sep 2020, 01:29

How many WiFi clients are connecting to the router?

What is the WiFi environment like in your location?
How many 2.4GHz access points show up and what signal strength?
You may still have problems with someone nearby using a non WiFi device on 2.4GHz that is causing interference.

Have you tried any other ESP8266 modules?

Do you have any problems with other devices such as a Raspberry Pi running over WiFi?

Have you tried a basic Arduino sketch?

Can you use a rule that reboots the module if it disconnects?

Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC Lite - Works well except a few problems with Wemos D1 mini at very weak WiFi signal levels. The weak signals are caused by distance and brick walls.

I avoid D-Link equipment, particularly WiFi based equipment. I have had many disappointing results over the last 15 years. I have also had poor experiences with their support and warranty department.
Friends with kangaroos and some time koala rescuer.

whatsupskip
Normal user

#6 Post by whatsupskip » 06 Sep 2020, 01:31

TD-er wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 23:14 Use of core build and since the last nightly build the "alt_wifi" build. (try that build if you're experiencing wifi issues)
What is different in this build? Notes?

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 06 Sep 2020, 11:50

whatsupskip wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 01:31
TD-er wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 23:14 Use of core build and since the last nightly build the "alt_wifi" build. (try that build if you're experiencing wifi issues)
What is different in this build? Notes?
Well to be completely honest, I don't know.
The main difference is that it is using different SDK builds, which so appear to behave differently with regard to WiFi. (as the WiFi part of the SDK code is closed source)
I really don't know what they changed, but on some modules it may make a difference in WiFi stability.
I did ask for clarification on the WiFi parameters used, but never got an answer.

whatsupskip
Normal user

#8 Post by whatsupskip » 07 Sep 2020, 00:40

TD-er wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 11:50 The main difference is that it is using different SDK builds, which so appear to behave differently with regard to WiFi. (as the WiFi part of the SDK code is closed source)
I really don't know what they changed, but on some modules it may make a difference in WiFi stability.
Hadn't occurred to me that it would be closed source, but it makes sense though.

reza
Normal user

#9 Post by reza » 09 Sep 2020, 10:19

whatsupskip wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 01:29 How many WiFi clients are connecting to the router?

What is the WiFi environment like in your location?
How many 2.4GHz access points show up and what signal strength?
You may still have problems with someone nearby using a non WiFi device on 2.4GHz that is causing interference.

Have you tried any other ESP8266 modules?

Do you have any problems with other devices such as a Raspberry Pi running over WiFi?

Have you tried a basic Arduino sketch?

Can you use a rule that reboots the module if it disconnects?

Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC Lite - Works well except a few problems with Wemos D1 mini at very weak WiFi signal levels. The weak signals are caused by distance and brick walls.

I avoid D-Link equipment, particularly WiFi based equipment. I have had many disappointing results over the last 15 years. I have also had poor experiences with their support and warranty department.
hi , i have sure this problem is related to modem-router brand ,because i test several environment and several condition

in home , office and etc .
between 2 until 10 wifi client .
if problem was related to WiFi environment or client or other questions , so now i must have problem , but with this modem-router in similar condition( same loction , same distance , same esp8266, same number of clients ....) i have not any problem . even settings in router is similar (channel , ssid and password ....) so one brand is good and one brand is bad in communications.
thank you

reza
Normal user

#10 Post by reza » 09 Sep 2020, 10:31

TD-er wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 23:14 Other parameters that may have an effect here:
Use of core build and since the last nightly build the "alt_wifi" build. (try that build if you're experiencing wifi issues)

Also please include this information on nodes with WiFi issues:
- Fixed channel used?
- Gratuitous ARP enabled?
- Force B/G enabled?
- Used WiFi channel
- DHCP or static IP
- Firmware running on access point (if it differs from the original firmware, like OpenWRT etc.)
hi dear
I'm not very good at settings.
just i have know wifi channel is fixed (channel 6) also i tested other channel , and use static ip on espeasy (client) .
but about ARP and Force B/G i dont know and used default settings.
i tested several modem-routers with default settings. with same channel and same static ip. so one router work well and other dont work well.
is it possible these (ARP and Force B/G) be disabled by default ?

TD-er
Core team member

#11 Post by TD-er » 09 Sep 2020, 13:49

The settings I mentioned are settings in ESPEasy, not in the router or access point.

reza
Normal user

#12 Post by reza » 12 Sep 2020, 10:57

TD-er wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 13:49 The settings I mentioned are settings in ESPEasy, not in the router or access point.
so settings must be right because same settings is good work with my new router but same settings have problem with other model that i use and told in first post.
i think this is related to modem-router model. some model are good modem but are not good router .
i want found good routers and bad routers in this topic but members dont share that use which brands and models.
thank you

TD-er
Core team member

#13 Post by TD-er » 12 Sep 2020, 13:24

Well a lot of users don't have a choice in routers.
Also quite a lot of internet service providers have a specific firmware installed which doesn't allow a lot of tweaking on the WiFi part of the router/modem.

Still, there are lots of factors why WiFi may not work optimal (or not at all)
Some of them can be tuned on the router, but a lot can also be dealt with on the device itself, as long as it is understood why things are not working as stable as desired.

For example, I do have some TP-link Omada access points here, which do work very very stable on most of my ESPEasy devices, but very unstable on some.
Luckily the Omada units do allow quite a lot of tuning, but still, with the same settings they work fine on most and unstable on some nodes.
This does prove there is no universal "take this access point and it will work guaranteed" answer.

whatsupskip
Normal user

#14 Post by whatsupskip » 13 Sep 2020, 01:11

TD-er wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 13:24 Well a lot of users don't have a choice in routers.
Also quite a lot of internet service providers have a specific firmware installed which doesn't allow a lot of tweaking on the WiFi part of the router/modem.
I would be very surprised if a modem/router did not allow the disabling of the WiFi, so at least a good WiFi access point could be added.

It can be very difficult to diagnose WiFi problems as interference can be a major factor. The interference won't normally be shown on the diagnostics of a WiFi access point. There is where a software defined radio might be a better option to discover what the problem is.

TD-er
Core team member

#15 Post by TD-er » 13 Sep 2020, 10:26

Sure, it can be disabled, and you can add your own WiFi access point, regardless of whether the WiFi on the router is disabled.
And about the difficult to diagnode part... Couldn't agree more, as I've been diving deep into WiFi to diagnose the black-box-WiFi issues of the ESP for the last 2+ years.

To me, the MikroTik access points appear to be running very stable, but they are absolutely not for anyone to setup.
I consider myself quite experienced regarding networking and WiFi, but I still had to Google lots of options available in MikroTik settings to know what they meant.

So if you want the suggestion to have full control (and very likely drown in the settings), MikroTik is a good choice.

I also have Fritzbox Repeater 1750E, which is a truly fine access point and WiFi bridge and lots more.
Those also do work quite stable and have a remarkable good range.
They also offer WiFi mesh, if you're also using a Fritzbox router (with recent firmware) to control the Mesh.

And there is also the access points of TP-link.
I don't have experience myself with the Deco range in combination with the ESP modules, but at least for WiFi stability in house they do offer quite an impressive range and performance and are therefore quite popular.
I do have the TP-link Omada here in this house and like I said, those work very stable on almost all ESP modules. Only a few that can't keep a connection to them.
But maybe those can be the missing link for me to diagnose the true issue with the ESP nodes that have some issues.

Still, I am convinced a lot of the instability seen can be solved by changing a few basic things on the ESP side, or try to avoid frequent channel hopping by the access point.