ESP8285_1M_OTA no longer supported

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

BertB
Normal user

ESP8285_1M_OTA no longer supported

#1 Post by BertB » 17 Oct 2020, 16:05

Hi,
I noticed the absense of ESP8285_1M_OTA in the releases lately.
I do have a Sonos 4 chanel switch box, that is almost impossible to update without using OTA.
So I wonder, are you planning to include the OTA releases again?

Second question, it it possible to make the two step update process a bit more idiot proof?
I accidently selected the wrong 8285 bin file and after that the Sonos started to behave like a brick, until I took it to my pc for a complete erasure.

Ath
Normal user

Re: ESP8285_1M_OTA no longer supported

#2 Post by Ath » 17 Jan 2021, 10:29

Since the late-december releases of ESPEasy there are again OTA builds available that allow to OTA-update in a 2-step process on 1MB units (TD-er spent a lot of effort to realize this). Also 2 ESP8285 releases are there (with Domoticz or FHEM support).

It is very hard to determine the type of .bin file when providing a file for upload to a unit, as a 'smart' user could have renamed the file to get it uploaded :o That is most likely the reason currently no checks are done, as most users working with these units usually know what they are doing. The saying 'With great power comes great responsibility' comes to mind here.
If you have suggestions on how to possibly avoid such mistakes, please respond here or raise an issue in github, as it does seem a useful improvement.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

BertB
Normal user

#3 Post by BertB » 17 Jan 2021, 11:23

Ath wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 10:29 Since the late-december releases of ESPEasy there are again OTA builds available that allow to OTA-update in a 2-step process on 1MB units (TD-er spent a lot of effort to realize this). Also 2 ESP8285 releases are there (with Domoticz or FHEM support).

It is very hard to determine the type of .bin file when providing a file for upload to a unit, as a 'smart' user could have renamed the file to get it uploaded :o That is most likely the reason currently no checks are done, as most users working with these units usually know what they are doing. The saying 'With great power comes great responsibility' comes to mind here.
If you have suggestions on how to possibly avoid such mistakes, please respond here or raise an issue in github, as it does seem a useful improvement.
I have noticed the good works done here. I am very pleased with the progress and I do appreciate the effort required.

With respect to the idiot (me) proofness of the OTA procedure: is it not possible to put some kind of identifier in the bin file?

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 17 Jan 2021, 11:55

The filename used is now included in the system info page.
So you can now see the filename used for the last flash.
That is... as long as the bin file was built using PlatformIO.
If you built one yourself using ArduinoIDE the file name is not embedded in the binary.

I am also working on some (somewhat cryptic) signature for showing the build config (which plugins/controllers are included) to be used later to build a same binary with exactly the same set of plugins/controllers.
But that's not done yet.