syslog logging

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

FredZ
New user

syslog logging

#1 Post by FredZ » 19 Oct 2020, 08:14

Hello all

Brand new to ESP Easy, so please excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere. I did do a search but could find anything useful or that I could understand.

I have setup a syslog server specifically for my ESP Easy devices.

The reason for this is that I have a DHT22 attached to my NodeMCU (AI-Thinker) and it stops working after about a week or so of operation. By not working I mean that the device is being read as NaN for temp and Humidity. If I simply turn the unit (NodeMCU) off and power it back up all is as expected.

So I am wanting to log the NodeMCU device in an attempt to establish what is happening.

So far my logs are about 32Mb/day which in the grand sceme of things isn't that much, but I only have loging set to info|Kernel|None|None.

So my question is am I logging anything useful?

Build:⋄ 20110 - Mega
System Libraries:⋄ ESP82xx Core 5d3af165, NONOS SDK 2.2.2-dev(38a443e), LWIP: 2.1.2 PUYA support
Git Build:⋄
Plugin Count:⋄ 46 [Normal]
Build Origin: Travis
Build Time:⋄ Aug 29 2020 16:09:41
Binary Filename:⋄ ESP_Easy_mega_20200829_normal_ESP8266_4M1M
Build Platform:⋄ Linux-4.19.104-microsoft-standard-x86_64-with-glibc2.29
Git HEAD:⋄ mega_c625d91

ESP Chip ID: 14614490 (0xDEFFDA)
ESP Chip Frequency: 80 MHz
ESP Board Name: PLATFORMIO_ESP12E

Your thoughts would be most helpful

Regards

Fred

TD-er
Core team member

Re: syslog logging

#2 Post by TD-er » 19 Oct 2020, 15:31

The log level is not set in the Info/Kernel/None part of the syslog setting.
That's a flag for the syslog server to which log files the logs should be sent. (Syslog calls it a "facility")
Some syslog implementations also allow to take action on logs sent to specific log targets.

The log level itself (on ESPEasy) determines the level of verbosity and must be set via Syslog Log Level
You may want to check the source code of ESPEasy to see which log item is sent to what log level.
Please note that the larger builds (e.g. "Testing" and "dev") do not include the "debug" and "debug more" log level in their build.
You can still set those, but almost all log texts in the code of ESPEasy are not included in the builds of "Testing" or "dev" to make those builds fit the max allowed bin size.