Automate password change between domoticz and ESPeasy

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ssd
Normal user

Automate password change between domoticz and ESPeasy

#1 Post by ssd » 08 Dec 2020, 06:58

Hello,

I am just curious to know is there any way that if we change the login user id and password in domoticz the userid and password of the controller in ESPeasy will automatically change? Or does someone have any suggestions so that I can work on it? Or I should move on to continue with what I have as it is an impossible task to achieve?

Thanks!!

Ath
Normal user

Re: Automate password change between domoticz and ESPeasy

#2 Post by Ath » 08 Dec 2020, 07:42

That is not possible, nor in any way safe.

How often do you change the password on Domoticz? After that, all equipment connecting to it need to have their settings updated.
It's like when changing your e-mail password, you'll have to update all e-mail clients. Manually.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 08 Dec 2020, 09:14

Just for the sake of argument, imagine it would be possible.
So you update the password in Domoticz and the password on all connected devices also changes.

Now think of a reason WHY you change a password.
One reason could be because the old password was compromised, or it is simply policy, which has the same reason for changing a password only you don't know if it is compromised.

What if a password is compromised, then an attacker may also be connected to your infrastructure and then changing a password will present the attacker the new password.
So it isn't really wise to allow to update a password via this route.

ssd
Normal user

#4 Post by ssd » 08 Dec 2020, 09:27

Ath wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 07:42 That is not possible, nor in any way safe.

How often do you change the password on Domoticz? After that, all equipment connecting to it need to have their settings updated.
It's like when changing your e-mail password, you'll have to update all e-mail clients. Manually.
Agreed. Fair enough. :D

ssd
Normal user

#5 Post by ssd » 08 Dec 2020, 09:29

TD-er wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 09:14 Just for the sake of argument, imagine it would be possible.
So you update the password in Domoticz and the password on all connected devices also changes.

Now think of a reason WHY you change a password.
One reason could be because the old password was compromised, or it is simply policy, which has the same reason for changing a password only you don't know if it is compromised.

What if a password is compromised, then an attacker may also be connected to your infrastructure and then changing a password will present the attacker the new password.
So it isn't really wise to allow to update a password via this route.
Okay. Thank you. Just had a random thought and was confused but an explanation from both of you helped. Thank you!! :D